The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 110

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
    This is likely not much help for you [and a bit late] but check the 'used' clothing shops. When I was taking gigs I needed a tux for weddings and got a full tux including shirt at a local Value Village for about $100. Lasted for many gigs so useful and economical. Now that I think about it, it's probably still in my closet. Should check and send it back to Value Village!!
    I used to work at a vintage clothing store. I had no idea how fortunate I was at the time. Now when I go to thrift stores there are Old Navy shirts for $10 with $7 MSRP price tags still on them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not even sure if I still own a suit. I'll also wear shorts to a beer garden gig if its 90 degrees or more out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    I'm ready to unsubscribe from my own thread...
    They have to mutinize.

User Info Menu

I used to work at a vintage clothing store. I had no idea how fortunate I was at the time. Now when I go to thrift stores there are Old Navy shirts for $10 with $7 MSRP price tags still on them.
    This
    Thrift stores have become a joke since the pandemic. They should strike the "thrift" part of their name.
    I was in one recently and they had 5 beat to hell box fans for $15 per. They're brand new at Walmart for under $20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons View Post
    They have to mutinize.
    Is that mutinize or martinize?

Never deliver your clothes to a dry cleaner who doesn't know the difference between the two.

User Info Menu

I agree with the seersucker suggestion, haspel.com

User Info Menu

I found a 100% wool summer blazer on ebay. Maybe that'll be fine.

User Info Menu

Snappiest dresser in the business (and doesn't play bad, either). He even credits his clothing providers on his videos.

User Info Menu

I wonder how many of those clips are at the boutique...

User Info Menu

Haha, love it.

EDIT: When the music coms from deep within people will rather close their eyes than look at your jackets or shoes (or no shoes at all).

User Info Menu

Back when I did solo gigs, I was asked to be part of a group that did volunteer fundraisers.

First gig I showed up in a jacket and tie, as I always did, I was the only one that didn't look like they crawled out of a salvation army dumpster.

Second gig was better, I dressed the same, the rest at least wore clean clothes and took a shower before the gig.

Third gig was better I think I shamed them.

I left the group after that, I guess I am a bit of a snob when it comes to performing. I like to look good, keep time, sing and play in tune.
    I guess that is why I don't get any solo gigs when the others get lots of gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    Haha, love it.

EDIT: When the music coms from deep within people will rather close their eyes than look at your jackets or shoes (or no shoes at all).
    WOW. Thank you. I think. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar View Post
    Back when I did solo gigs, I was asked to be part of a group that did volunteer fundraisers.

First gig I showed up in a jacket and tie, as I always did, I was the only one that didn't look like they crawled out of a salvation army dumpster.

Second gig was better, I dressed the same, the rest at least wore clean clothes and took a shower before the gig.

Third gig was better I think I shamed them.

I left the group after that, I guess I am a bit of a snob when it comes to performing. I like to look good, keep time, sing and play in tune.
    I guess that is why I don't get any solo gigs when the others get lots of gigs.
    Sounds to me like you’re doing it right. I found a sport coat on eBay that fits better, but I still need a longer sleeve. There ought to be a musicians cut suit with extra long sleeves and inseam so you look good sitting, or with your limbs bent.

Picutre attached, I’m in the Salvation Army phase. Lol.

Attire-123_1-jpg

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like you’re doing it right. I found a sport coat on eBay that fits better, but I still need a longer sleeve. There ought to be a musicians cut suit with extra long sleeves and inseam so you look good sitting, or with your limbs bent.

Attire-123_1-jpg
    I did say Salvation Army dumpster. No problem with the stuff inside the Salvation Army store.

User Info Menu

Suitable attire for those of you who have more than a few guitars:

guiitar sweater - etsy.com

User Info Menu

Attire-123_1-jpg
    You look the part that you describe your tastes in jazz and swing standards to be. It looks pro. I like that pic. Allan getting down on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
    You look the part that you describe your tastes in jazz and swing standards to be. It looks pro. I like that pic. Allan getting down on the guitar.
    Thanks! You can hear the band here

Half hour live recording

User Info Menu

Attire-annex-rehearsal-strat-jpg
    Actually this was the rehearsal at the venue before the gig. On the gig I had long slacks, button cotton shirt but no shoes! I never wear shoes.

User Info Menu

Different attires for different circumstances:
    Attire-cactus-jam-@-sonoran-1-jpg

Attire-pavilion-4-jpg

Attire-concert2-jpg

Attire-danny-cropped-jpg

Attire-mnf_8010-jpg

Attire-_dsc8886-copy-jpg

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; Yesterday at 06:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Attire-henry-jacam-sofia-3-15-24-jpgThis is my normal appearance. Concert at a theater called Sophia. I prefer casual. The only times I wear a suit is if I play a wedding - NEVER any more or someone else's gig where it's required. Almost never. Keep in mind I am with my band, playing my music with anm audience who knows me. If I wear shoes I will always get shouts about taking my shoes off. I've been doing this since the late 70s!

User Info Menu

Attire-annex-talking**-jpgThe gig last week after our rehearsal. No shorts here but still bare feet that you can't see.

User Info Menu

Sullivan Fortner was wearing a hat like this (w/o the Smiley) that he took off in the second set with Peter Bernstein on Tuesday. Joe Farnsworth was wearing a taylor-made suit with pocket square. He was the only one wearing a tie.

EDIT: Peter did not mind me wearing a keffiyeh as shawl Yussef Lateef or Rene McLean style when I talked shortly with him.

User Info Menu

Then there's this
    Attire-yamadu_costa_y-domingo_el-colorao_-1024x550-jpg

User Info Menu

Costa is a monster guitar player

User Info Menu

Exactly, and he doesn't need to dress up in order to prove it.

Of course it might be exactly what he considers he's doing