The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Yeah a band I play in is a lot closer to fusion and we had a regular thing at a pizza place for a while. Also a great nightclub type place that had live djs before and after. So the guys would bring all their vinyl and play deep cut jazz and Latin stuff on the nights we were there.

But truth be told, what is fusion:

I saw Band of Brothers with Will Lee et al at the Blue Whale once, and that was straight up eighties style fusion stuff. But …

Is Ben Wendel fusion?
    Aaron Parks?
    Nir Felder?
    Ben Monder?
    Gilad?

Kind of hard to make the case that they’re not. In which case fusion plays just about everywhere jazz does.
    No, no, sort of, definitely not, on alternate Tuesdays

Look, I know I have to explain a lot to you Yanks because you understand basically nuffink, but:

The pizza place had an electric bass, two keyboards, a guitarist who sounded like Allan Holdsworth and a set list entirely consisting of mid 70s Herbie tunes. I sat in and played Watermelon Man with the Ab chord and Nothing Personal.

Fusion, m8.

There’s NO DOUBLE BASS. Tunes in 7 with a distorted guitar solo is not fusion. It’s simply a man in a hat with a rush fixation.

Simples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Tunes in 7 with a distorted guitar solo is not fusion. It’s simply a man in a hat with a rush fixation.

Here's the thing, that guy playing in 7 with all the distortion, he thinks he's playing fusion jazz and he sells his band as fusion jazz and so that is now fusion jazz.

User Info Menu

No, no, sort of, definitely not, on alternate Tuesdays

Look, I know I have to explain a lot to you Yanks because you understand basically nuffink, but:

The pizza place had an electric bass, two keyboards, a guitarist who sounded like Allan Holdsworth and a set list entirely consisting of mid 70s Herbie tunes. I sat in and played Watermelon Man with the Ab chord and Nothing Personal.

Fusion, m8.

There’s NO DOUBLE BASS. Tunes in 7 with a distorted guitar solo is not fusion. It’s simply a man in a hat with a rush fixation.

Simples.

This post is a work of art.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Here's the thing, that guy playing in 7 with all the distortion, he thinks he's playing fusion jazz and he sells his band as fusion jazz and so that is now fusion jazz.
    Nah he calls it contemporary improvisational music and is in the rising star guitar category of the downbeat critics poll.

User Info Menu

Look, I know I have to explain a lot to you Yanks because you understand basically nuffink
    RIght you are, Christian - we're a bunch of perfect numpties.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    RIght you are, Christian - we're a bunch of perfect numpties.
    Aha, I see you are scholar of our tongue!

User Info Menu

I'm mostly wondering about "local level" players. I'm sure snarky puppy and bands with records out can find a jazz club or rock/DJ club to play at. I'm talking about people who play as a hobby or are just starting out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIsGood
    I'm mostly wondering about "local level" players. I'm sure snarky puppy and bands with records out can find a jazz club or rock/DJ club to play at. I'm talking about people who play as a hobby or are just starting out.
    I mean, yeah. Clearly Snarky Puppy plays where Snarky Puppy wants to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I mean, yeah. Clearly Snarky Puppy plays where Snarky Puppy wants to play.
    Which is on the internet looking VERY pleased with themselves