The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

To make sure I have my rhythms worked out, I try to cover most of the bases for grooves in jazz. I practice at least a few songs in each.

1. Swing 2 and 4. Obviously the main focus. (I slack on up, but that's on the radar.)
    2. Ballad.
    3. 3 or 6.
    4. Bossa.
    5. Rock/pop.
    6. Funk.
    (7. I guess I slack on odd meters but I supposed that should be included.)

What is your opinion or experience for grooves that should be included for a well rounded jazz musician?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You forgot my favorite. Calypso

User Info Menu

No Blues or Bebop? Latin?
    I'm thinking in terms of "groove" words for tunes on a set list...

User Info Menu

Blues and bebop aren’t rhythms. Latin is basically covered by Bossa.

User Info Menu

If you're doing a standards gigs that may be a pretty good list.

But, a band could call tunes with specific grooves that aren't in that list.

I once asked a Brazilian guitarist to teach me a Bossa Nova beat. He laughed and said "every song is different".

The idea that "Latin" is covered by Bossa Nova, presupposes that the only "Latin" tunes called will be Bossas - and that all Bossas are the same. There are so many styles and variants beyond that it's impossible to know where to begin listing them.

I think a well rounded guitarist on a standards gig should be able to play bossa, samba, tango, cha cha, rhumba -- each of which requires study because every song is different. And, that's just a scratch on the surface of so-called "Latin". You'd have to do the same for rock and funk and whatever else might be called.

Sometimes, you just can't get a tune list in advance, because there isn't one. But if there is, it's probably worth listening to recordings and figuring out how to play the grooves.

User Info Menu

Boogaloo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    I think a well rounded guitarist on a standards gig should be able to play bossa, samba, tango, cha cha, rhumba -- each of which requires study because every song is different. And, that's just a scratch on the surface of so-called "Latin". You'd have to do the same for rock and funk and whatever else might be called.
    Or you could just play a Bossa (probably Girl From Ipanema), nobody will know the difference and move on to the next tune.

OP isn’t going to play in Brazil any time soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Or you could just play a Bossa (probably Girl From Ipanema), nobody will know the difference and move on to the next tune.

OP isn’t going to play in Brazil any time soon.
    This is what the OP asked:

"What is your opinion or experience for grooves that should be included for a well rounded jazz musician?"

Being able to play GFI as your Latin complement is not what I'd think of as well-rounded for a jazz player.

User Info Menu

Hard swing, light swing, businessman’s bounce, samba, bossa, 2nd Line, straight, various funk, R&B/ R&B, pop. But I never think in these kinds of categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post

Being able to play GFI as your Latin complement is not what I'd think of as well-rounded for a jazz player.
    Agree to disagree then. There’s unending minutia in every feel and genre. Impossible to master them all, better to know what tools will get the job done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Boogaloo?
    Definitely boogaloo.

User Info Menu

Re: Latin

There's absolutely too many styles for most to master, but a good jazz player should be able to play a bossa correctly at least...I hear it butchered waaaay to often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Definitely boogaloo.
    And don't forget-Drum Genius agrees!

Doug

User Info Menu

And don't forget-Drum Genius agrees!

Doug
    So it must be right

I can think of like 20 different types of swing...but you don't really put names to 'em I guess, like Henry said...you just play...

Right now I'm so concerned with placing my quarter notes right and making sure everyone else sounds fucking swinging...

The Latin thing though...was listening to Orquesta Akokan tonight...a lot of jazz really glosses over all the different feels from the Caribbean through central and south America...sometimes I think I have no business playing any of that. Minutiae? Yes. Worth it and important? Definitely yes.

Thx for the input everyone. Latin kind of bugs me, so no I would not worry about doing a deep dive with the different authentic grooves. I just try and do a decent bossa and call it a day. I hate funk so I tell myself do at least 1 song. I'm doing What I Say by RC which is more R&B I guess.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 06-16-2024 at 02:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Boogaloo?
    good god ..I can hear Wilson Pickett slamming Mustang Sally and seeing skinny girls dancing the "skate"

User Info Menu

Shuffle
    12/8 (slow blues feel)
    Montuno
    Regga

User Info Menu

Boogaloo?
    Back off, Boogaloo…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    [...]
    Regga
    Do you mean Reggae? "Reggae" is as versatile as "Latin" or "Brasil". Most jazz and rock people do not even realize that there are straight eighths and swinging eighths grooves in roots reggae (African 3 against 4 always implied).

And then there are grooves most people wouldn't probably file under reggae at first listen.

User Info Menu

Maybe they meant Indian Raga?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Maybe they meant Indian Raga?
    Who "they"?

Raga is not a style but a scale for modal improvisation in traditional Indian classical music. And there are many Ragas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    Who "they"?

Raga is not a style but a scale for modal improvisation in traditional Indian classical music. And there are many Ragas.
    John A is they. As he said Regga.

Also, like Ipanema covering Latin for most people. The only Raga you need to know would be Within You Without You.