The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If one builder carefully dries their woods, say like Benedetto does, and another builder, say a maker of very cheap guitars in China, builds guitars out of green, undried wood, which one is going to be more stable when the climate changes?

I have a Chinese 7-string Grote semi hollow Les Paul, $275, for a year now. I lowered the action and I really enjoyed it. We normally have about 10% humidity. We had four days of heavy rains and the humidity went to 30%. I picked up the guitar and there was a huge bow back in the neck. All of the strings were resting on the 7th or 8th fret and would not play. I adjusted the truss rod but it didn't make any difference.
    I have two Eastman arch tops as well and they also move with the changes in humidity but not like that.

So I'm wondering how much does the pre-drying of the wood affect the stability or lack of it. Hoping somebody is knowledgeable.

Thanks a lot.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It does , that's why most good builders have a drying regimen. I learned the hard way in my early days, after 41 years at it I make sure mine is dry and stable before starting any project and keep it all in a temp and moisture controlled room

see : A Luthier’s Guide to the Moisture Content of Tonewood - Bessemeter.

Thanks. So it could be that the cheap Chinese guitar used greenwood and that made it Warp when the humidity went up? Thank you