The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi all, has anyone played a Carlo Greco carved acoustic archtop, or have a link to some more information?

I am not the best googler but I didn’t come up with too much other than his history at Guild.

thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLQ
    Hi all, has anyone played a Carlo Greco carved acoustic archtop, or have a link to some more information?

I am not the best googler but I didn’t come up with too much other than his history at Guild.

thanks!
    I left my D'A with him for six months; gave him $500 and told him to do whatever was needed. He did a lot of stuff.
    After the six months, he asked me if I wanted to trade him my D'A for one of his guitars. They didn't look like carved archtops. They looked like weird 335s with a lot of electronics in them, at least two pickups in each one. He wanted me to try one, but I didn't want that type of guitar, so I just told him I wasn't interested in trading for one or playing one.
    They definitely weren't acoustic archtop guitars. He had a bunch of them hanging up at his place, they were all weird colors like blue or green.
    After that he started to lose it, because he was old and ill. He botched up a fret job on a friends D`A so badly, the guy was in tears, and couldn't sleep for a month.He took it to Flip Scipio, and Flip saved it. I tried to get in touch with Flip on his website, but he never got back to me. I've never met him, and I don't know where he is.
    I've looked for Carlo's guitars too since then, but never heard a thing about them after he passed. Good luck!

User Info Menu

It is my understanding that Carlo Greco made the Guild Artist Awards (by himself) from the late 60's until he left Guild in the mid 70's. I owned a 71 Artist Award that, IMO was a better guitar than the two Guild-Benedetto Artist Awards that I owned. But that guitar is the only experience I have with any guitars made by Carlo Greco.

User Info Menu

Carlo Greco archtops? I wish I had this one - it popped up on ebay five years ago.

Attached Images Attached Images Carlo Greco Archtops?-s-l1600-0-jpg Carlo Greco Archtops?-s-l1600-1-jpg Carlo Greco Archtops?-s-l1600-4-jpg 

User Info Menu

Thanks all!

Hammertone, what a guitar!

good idea also to save pictures from cool listings.

Do you remember about how much they were asking / what it sold for?

User Info Menu

Here you go. Sometimes, I save this stuff when it catches my eye - in this case, it's such a hilarious guitar I was compelled to grab the pix and listing info:
    Attached Images Attached Images Carlo Greco Archtops?-screen-shot-2019-01-06-12-11-48-am-png 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Here you go. Sometimes, I save this stuff when it catches my eye - in this case, it's such a hilarious guitar I was compelled to grab the pix and listing info:
    It looks like he was trying to copy the D'A Teardrop guitar. The ones in his shop were nothing like that. I've always wanted to know what happened to them. I think they were more like this. Weird guitars:
    Just a moment...
    Last edited by sgcim; 07-09-2024 at 02:51 AM.

User Info Menu

More. When he wasn't bonkers he appears to have built some interesting guitars:
    Attached Images Attached Images Carlo Greco Archtops?-carlo-greco-1-jpg Carlo Greco Archtops?-carlo-greco-2-jpg Carlo Greco Archtops?-carlo-greco-3-jpg 

User Info Menu

Guillaume Rancourt has made a gorgeous teardrop guitar as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I like the way that Aschado snuck into the pix.

User Info Menu

What I want to see is the hardshell cases for teardrop guitars