The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    Gentlemen
    I will be sitting out this tune. I think the arrangement is a good one, I don't mind big chords, and don't mind using "grips" that I might not use very often. Still, I have a lot on my plate and this tune is just not one I am very interested in. So I'm going to cheer for you all as you work through it and I'll be back for the next one in 2 weeks.
    Totally understand Lawson. It's all good to know what you want and to just move on when something doesn't really engage you. For me this version by Mel Torme allows me to hear the melody perfectly and his piano playing is quite nice. Got me interested in the tune.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ah yes, Mel Torme a.k.a., the "velvet fog," what a great musician. Love his ending on this tune, may have to borrow it.

User Info Menu

I'll have to follow Lawson's lead this week and pass on this tune as I have a few solo gigs this weekend and next weekend also and really need to practise the repertoire.

I'll send a pic if I can. On a nice day it's very scenic if I'm playing outside.

User Info Menu

Here's my shot at a "verbatim" performance. Not exact, but pretty close.

As I have practiced this I've come up with some ideas for variations etc. If there is time, I'll post another version before we move on to the next tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop View Post
    Here's my shot at a "verbatim" performance. Not exact, but pretty close.

As I have practiced this I've come up with some ideas for variations etc. If there is time, I'll post another version before we move on to the next tune.

That was really nice. I might need to go ahead and try this tune. You really showed what a nice arrangement it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus View Post
    Totally understand Lawson. It's all good to know what you want and to just move on when something doesn't really engage you. For me this version by Mel Torme allows me to hear the melody perfectly and his piano playing is quite nice. Got me interested in the tune.
    Wow I gotta say that's a splendid performance of the song. I am feeling tempted now to give it a shot.
    And really... just a very average looking guy in a regular suit sitting at the piano and singing the hell out of a song.... what a novel idea!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    That was really nice. I might need to go ahead and try this tune. You really showed what a nice arrangement it is.
    Thanks, I've gotten some useful devices from learning each of the 3 arrangements.

Regarding the tune itself, I have a good friend who would say: "This song makes it's own gravy."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    Yes! The sound is vanilla and the fingering is awkward. Mostly because I rarely use that grip. After playing it a few times, it was pretty easy, but... it still sounds plain to my ear. I did my own arrangement of this tune a couple years back and substituted G-11 there, fingered as 3x331x. To add a little movement and harmonic interest, you can follow that with Gb7#11 fingered as 2x231x.

Another nice alternative in bar 1 is subbing A-7 for C7: 5x55xx. Following that with Ab7 as 4x45xx flows nicely.
    Vanilla, Yes ! I prefer C7flat 5 (When) Gmin 9 (Sunny) Gminor 11 (Gets) C7flat 5 (Blue)

User Info Menu

Here's my take on this, not sure why the sound is a bit muffled, probably the guitar, a Michael Kelly ES-335, which I don't normally use for chord melodies. I'll try it again later with the guitar I used last time.

When Sunny Gets Blue - Mick-01 - Box.com