The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 90

User Info Menu

It's a gypsy jazz guitar with Argentine steel strings. I just always play this guitar, it would sound better on something else probably. I'm just too lazy to pick anything else up.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's my shot at the whole thing. This has really grown on me while I've worked on it. That last section clicked for me when I realized how often I'd heard Joe Pass play a line with the "walking" bass and the top note played an eighth-note apart. Like anything I've memorized, I have moments of hesitation and there is one on this, but our posts aren't about perfection or impressing anybody, they're about being part of the discussion.

I'm playing this on an ES175 into a Princeton Reverb Re-Issue and I have the speaker mic'd but also using a power sink I've also got a direct line, each into a different channel. I'd be interested if anyone hears a difference between the left and right channel.

I'm' thinking of trying this with a bass-drums backing track.. stay tuned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post

Here's my shot at the whole thing. This has really grown on me while I've worked on it. That last section clicked for me when I realized how often I'd heard Joe Pass play a line with the "walking" bass and the top note played an eighth-note apart. Like anything I've memorized, I have moments of hesitation and there is one on this, but our posts aren't about perfection or impressing anybody, they're about being part of the discussion.

I'm playing this on an ES175 into a Princeton Reverb Re-Issue and I have the speaker mic'd but also using a power sink I've also got a direct line, each into a different channel. I'd be interested if anyone hears a difference between the left and right channel.

Very nice! I didn't quite get what you meant about the walking bass and top note until I heard you play it, at which point I immediately knew what you meant. Joe does a similar thing in his solo Autumn Leaves performance,

User Info Menu

Nicely done! Good work!

I like the sound of the recording over all. I hear some difference if I try to isolate each side but my hearing abilities are not that sophisticated. I would say that blending the two signals is a more pleasing, fuller sound than just using one source. So worth the extra effort.

Are you recording into a DAW at the same time as your phone/camera? Then do you import the video into the DAW, sync it and mute it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop View Post
    Nicely done! Good work!

I like the sound of the recording over all. I hear some difference if I try to isolate each side but my hearing abilities are not that sophisticated. I would say that blending the two signals is a more pleasing, fuller sound than just using one source. So worth the extra effort.

Are you recording into a DAW at the same time as your phone/camera? Then do you import the video into the DAW, sync it and mute it?
    Thank You. The amp is mic'd with a Bluebird "Blue" microphone, and the direct is via a Bugera PS1 Power Soak. I send the audio inputs to an old PreSonus AudioBox iTwo to get the levels below clipping, and from the PreSonus it goes to the phone via USB. I just keep it all set up so to record I fire up the amp, mount the phone, and get to it. I then drop the file into ScreenFlow for creating the video. ScreenFlow has some pretty decent audio editing, but it's mainly a video editor. I use it for all kinds of projects, mainly creating video material for my students.
    Time After Time - Jazz Ballads by Jeff Arnold - Tune #2-img_4767-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR View Post
    Very nice! I didn't quite get what you meant about the walking bass and top note until I heard you play it, at which point I immediately knew what you meant. Joe does a similar thing in his solo Autumn Leaves performance,
    Actually remembering that aspect of Joe's style was what helped me get that last section of our tune. I was reading it correctly, but wasn't really playing it with the feel and authority needed, then I was randomly listening to Joe Pass while out jogging and noticed how often he does this thing "pushing" the bass note and following on the "and" with the chord or note. It all clicked.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=lawson-stone;1343918]Thank You. The amp is mic'd with a Bluebird "Blue" microphone, and the direct is via a Bugera PS1 Power Soak. I send the audio inputs to an old PreSonus AudioBox iTwo to get the levels below clipping, and from the PreSonus it goes to the phone via USB. I just keep it all set up so to record I fire up the amp, mount the phone, and get to it. I then drop the file into ScreenFlow for creating the video. ScreenFlow has some pretty decent audio editing, but it's mainly a video editor. I use it for all kinds of projects, mainly creating video material for my students.

Thanks for that. That sounds like a good hassle free system you've got set up.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=alpop;1343922]
    Thank You. The amp is mic'd with a Bluebird "Blue" microphone, and the direct is via a Bugera PS1 Power Soak. I send the audio inputs to an old PreSonus AudioBox iTwo to get the levels below clipping, and from the PreSonus it goes to the phone via USB. I just keep it all set up so to record I fire up the amp, mount the phone, and get to it. I then drop the file into ScreenFlow for creating the video. ScreenFlow has some pretty decent audio editing, but it's mainly a video editor. I use it for all kinds of projects, mainly creating video material for my students.

Thanks for that. That sounds like a good hassle free system you've got set up.
    I like it a lot. If I'm using a background track, I just unplug the microphone line and plug the backing track into that channel.

User Info Menu

Sounds good, Larson, but I was expecting a Count Basie ending as you suggested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Sounds good, Larson, but I was expecting a Count Basie ending as you suggested.
    Sometimes you have to roll with whatever the musician does.

User Info Menu

sweet setup! sounds great and good job

User Info Menu

So here is a clip with 3 endings for our tune. The first is Arnold's, which is better than I think we've given him credit for. The Second is the clichéd "Count Basie" Ending which though thread-bare, is still fun to use. The third is a type of ending I enjoy using on songs with a "sweet" melody because it sort of changes up the mood a bit.

User Info Menu

So here is a clip with 3 endings for our tune. The first is Arnold's, which is better than I think we've given him credit for. The Second is the clichéd "Count Basie" Ending which though thread-bare, is still fun to use. The third is a type of ending I enjoy using on songs with a "sweet" melody because it sort of changes up the mood a bit.
    I vote for ending #3, it's very timely.

User Info Menu

Very nice Lawson!

I bought a 65 Fender Princeton Reissue a few months back and preferred the bass characteristics to those of my Vox AC15C1. The Vox has an overall warmer sound though. It was a hard decision but I sent the Fender back and kept the Vox. The Vox was only a third of the price of the Fender so it's a great amp for the price.

I actually found the Vox by bringing in my Ibanez AFJ85, which was my main guitar at the time, into the local music shop. After playing through all the Amps I liked the Vox the best.

My better half is going cycling in the morning so will hope to record a take then. I have been recording direct but will see how a take with the mic and Vox plus direct go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post

Wow! Thanks for posting this.

User Info Menu

It has been a busy week but I've been working on this. That coda was (and continues to be) a challenging passage. I know my playing is very simple, even mechanical - I'm still relatively new to jazz guitar, so I have just been focusing on the notes in the book, not really branching out. I like the swing that others have added and may try to emulate that feel at some point.

I did change a few note locations (e.g., playing the e right before the Coda on the 3rd string instead of the 2nd string - this put me closer to the next chord). I also used some thumb-over-the-top fingerings, maybe inspired by some Tal Farlow videos I've seen (not for this song though). I expect to revisit these tunes many times in the years to come.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PjzzaPie View Post
    It has been a busy week but I've been working on this. That coda was (and continues to be) a challenging passage. I know my playing is very simple, even mechanical - I'm still relatively new to jazz guitar, so I have just been focusing on the notes in the book, not really branching out. I like the swing that others have added and may try to emulate that feel at some point.

I did change a few note locations (e.g., playing the e right before the Coda on the 3rd string instead of the 2nd string - this put me closer to the next chord). I also used some thumb-over-the-top fingerings, maybe inspired by some Tal Farlow videos I've seen (not for this song though). I expect to revisit these tunes many times in the years to come.
    As I said earlier, Arnold's move from the Fm6 up to the Em7 is too awkward, I would never play it that way (or with his minor 9th jump down in the bass line - open E string).

He's got: x-8-x-10-9-10 (Fm6) ->> (0)-x-x-12-10-10 (Em7) ->> x-(0)-x-9-8-8 (Am7)

A sensible voicing for the Em7 there is something like:

Am7: x-x-7-9-8-8 (>10)

Em7: x-(7)-9-7-8-10 (>12)

Or: x-x-9-9-10-10 (>12) -> Back to the Am7.

My philosophy is that playing with rhythmic variety and feeling, making it "swing", is more important than hitting all the right notes. I'd rather play a few wrong notes than sound stiff and rhythmically boring.

"maybe inspired by some Tal Farlow videos"

Yeah, well, Tal had huge hands and could play stuff beyond the reach (literally) of us lesser mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    Wow! Thanks for posting this. (Barney Kessel video)
    I was listening to a Lester Young CD today with Barney on it, recorded in 1952. He was sweep-picking way back then!

User Info Menu

Ok, here is my version. Again I didn't have a great practise week but the bare bones are there. Lots of things that I want to do with it so with that in mind will we go onto tune #3 or will we take a week to consolidate Rainy Day and TAT? The momentum in this group is good so maybe tune #3 and consolidate after tune 3 or 4??

I did what I don't like others to do and that is to post an audio track only. I recorded a video as well but after about ten seconds my phone storage was full and I didn't realise till after the recording. This was take 2 btw take 1 had more buzzy bass notes.

Looking forward to receiving the book which I ordered a few weeks ago.

Also looking forward to getting stuck into TAT more. It's such a beautiful tune.

User Info Menu

Okay, time's up. Here's my recording this a.m. A few flubbed notes, but that's fine

I put a little intro on it, and deviated from the arrangement in a few spots.

The ending is from Here's That Rainy Day transposed up.

Looking forward to digging in to another tune.

User Info Menu

Nice one alpop. I like your deviations and ending.

Any suggestions for the next tune?

Maybe But Beautiful or The Neatness of You?

Did you do these before Lawson?
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 06-23-2024 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post

I'm happy to learn and play whatever is decided. I'd be fine with either of your suggestions or if someone else has a preference for another tune.

User Info Menu

I did what I don't like others to do and that is to post an audio track only.
    Why is audio only discouraged? I like it better aesthetically than seeing my ugly mug as well, plus it's way simpler.

Looking forward to receiving the book which I ordered a few weeks ago.
    I also ordered the book a while ago. Seeing if it's ok if I participate from learning your arrangements loosely by ear for now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons View Post
    Why is audio only discouraged? I like it better aesthetically than seeing my ugly mug as well, plus it's way simpler.

I also ordered the book a while ago. Seeing if it's ok if I participate from learning your arrangements loosely by ear for now.
    You can find a free pdf of it online at sites like pdfcoffee.com, not suggesting people shouldn't buy it too, just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by alpop View Post
    Okay, time's up. Here's my recording this a.m
    Sounds good, your playing of it is getting looser, which is great.

Liarspoker, for what it's worth, good going but your reverb is still set a bit too high for my tastes.

The Neatness of You? Don't know that tune. Is it a parody of the Nearness of You?

In Barry Galbraith's chord melody book (which can also be found online for free) he plays arrangements of these songs from Arnold's book: Here's That Rainy Day, Darn That Dream, In a Sentimental Mood, and When Sunny Gets Blue. It would be nice to borrow some of his ideas.
    Last edited by Mick-7; 06-23-2024 at 02:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Bobby - it's just my preference as imo audio files can be doctored. Much harder to do with video.

Also, and more importantly, I like to see the different fingerings that people use and the amount of tension they hold when they play.

Mick, yes, Freud would have a field day with me.

User Info Menu

Then audio only should be ok for me as I'm a pianist and you won't be learning from my fingerings. My clips are always take at once unless I specify. I'm not the type of guy who gets benefit out of getting away with things. :P