The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My take on Don't Explain, which I consider Lady Day's masterpiece.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful and thoughtful working of that gem of a tune. You've got a really nice touch on the instrument, a lot more going on with the right hand than most people. I hear a lot of what classical players bring to the instrument in your playing, phrasing, dynamics, musical shifts, a real attention to the sound.
    Really nice arrangements on all the tunes you've posted. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

beautiful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note View Post
    Beautiful and thoughtful working of that gem of a tune. You've got a really nice touch on the instrument, a lot more going on with the right hand than most people. I hear a lot of what classical players bring to the instrument in your playing, phrasing, dynamics, musical shifts, a real attention to the sound.
    Really nice arrangements on all the tunes you've posted. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you for your kind words. You are spot on about having a classical influence as classical guitar is my background

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bratistofeles View Post
    Thank you for your kind words. You are spot on about having a classical influence as classical guitar is my background
    You have the most nuanced use of the pick. Have you ever considered adapting the right hand to play fingerstyle, not classical necessarily, but a hybrid style that is wrist pivoted like a pick movement but with nails?
    There's a lot of self invention in this thing we call jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note View Post
    You have the most nuanced use of the pick. Have you ever considered adapting the right hand to play fingerstyle, not classical necessarily, but a hybrid style that is wrist pivoted like a pick movement but with nails?
    There's a lot of self invention in this thing we call jazz.
    Yes, I have experimented quite a bit with using only my fingers and using different hybrid techniques.. My preference is to use the plectrum only. It's more of an aesthetic choice I guess.. The idea of using a single device to produce the entirety of my sound palette fascinates me. In a way I like to think of the plectrum as what the bow is to a string player.