The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 247

User Info Menu

I've seen the Charlton Johnson book, I remember it as being quite good. The Ranger Doug book is also very good.

The video...not so much...I guess he's getting at what to teach a young beginner for playing is a school big band kind of situation, but it's not particularly Freddie Green style at all...and that bass heavy tone will sound like crap.

Though I do think you can pull this off on an electric...a video to come, for sure.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This sounds good. You've inspired me to use HHTM for my next vid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This sounds good. You've inspired me to use HHTM for my next vid.

There's opportunity for a chromatic walk up from Gmaj to E- in bars 13 - 14. I didn't realize until after recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    There's opportunity for a chromatic walk up from Gmaj to E- in bars 13 - 14. I didn't realize until after recording.
    This is an easy one to get "too cute" with...I'm noticing that a lot as I play through it.

But yeah, that's a great spot for that.

User Info Menu

This is an easy one to get "too cute" with...I'm noticing that a lot as I play through it.

But yeah, that's a great spot for that.

It's easy for me to go 4 to the bar with the big band, the band fills out the song, but at home I try to throw all the things in so they'll be ready should I feel spicy at a gig.

That's the plan anyway...

User Info Menu

It's easy for me to go 4 to the bar with the big band, the band fills out the song, but at home I try to throw all the things in so they'll be ready should I feel spicy at a gig.

That's the plan anyway...
    I think it's a fine plan.

Also, it's of course fun to do the extra stuff at home because we're not hearing the whole tune "fleshed out."

User Info Menu

Musings on process and How High the Moon.

User Info Menu

What's the guitar you're playing? I don't think I've seen you playing that one before.

User Info Menu

I like middle and ring for single note rhythm. I can help push with the index and it takes pressure off my individual fingers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    What's the guitar you're playing? I don't think I've seen you playing that one before.
    Just the old Kay gussied up with some silly inlay stickers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Bending the rules already, here's St. Thomas.

Excellent, great job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop View Post
    Here's a short one time through Indiana. I was participating in the Donna Lee thread, and I learned it in Ab, C, and F.

I thought I'd make use of the chords in F.

Comments or criticisms are welcome if you feel so inclined.

So, I'd really like to dive deep on rhythm styles...straight four, syncopated, gypsy style. I'm noticing everyone's sounds good but different.

I heard a nice talk on this on how this changed over the decades (20's, 30's, 40's, etc.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Today's musings:

I'd wish I could have seen your right hand. I think where we play (closer to neck vs bridge) plays a big part of the sound.

User Info Menu

Ok, I finally had some time this morning, here's a little Dinah with an experimental bridge reharm.
    Also, I can't sing and I want a little melody so...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132 View Post
    Ok, I finally had some time this morning, here's a little Dinah with an experimental bridge reharm.
    Also, I can't sing and I want a little melody so...

Love it. Epiphone sounds fantastic...no surprise. Old Epiphones are the bees knees.

I'll try to improve my camera angle for the right hand, basically I'm hitting the 1 and 3 maybe an inch or so off the fretboard, and the 2 and 4 just a little further back (unless the tempo is faster, then I find a good spot and stick to it)

Actually, that's a good idea-- my next video will be all about the right hand.

User Info Menu

Thanx for taking the feedback.

Do you know what you'll tackle next? Maybe I'll do it too and we can share notes, compare/contrast styles, technique, progression reharm, chord voicings, etc.

Also, which key you'll be in.

How 'bout stella?

User Info Menu

Stella sounds good. Ballads are surprisingly tough! Feels like so much space between those quarter notes.

Rather than get into a thing about the correct changes for Stella, I'll begrudgingly use the RB changes so everybody has access. Or maybe I'll actually do 2, an RB Stella and then one in the original key/original changes. The original changes, with all of their chromatic movement, will be very interesting for rhythm guitar...what to play and what NOT to play...

User Info Menu

Stella sounds good. Ballads are surprisingly tough! Feels like so much space between those quarter notes.

Rather than get into a thing about the correct changes for Stella, I'll begrudgingly use the RB changes so everybody has access. Or maybe I'll actually do 2, an RB Stella and then one in the original key/original changes. The original changes, with all of their chromatic movement, will be very interesting for rhythm guitar...what to play and what NOT to play...
    You could always post a chart for us. Stella is... not my favorite, so I probably won't go out of my way to grab chords by ear off an original recording.

User Info Menu

You could always post a chart for us. Stella is... not my favorite, so I probably won't go out of my way to grab chords by ear off an original recording.
    Oh I definitely will. Not doing any of that gatekeeping figure it out yourself shit. Just gotta write one out.

The original is not "jazz" and it's like a 2 feel orchestral thing, so I'll put it in 4 so we can keep swinging But the changes are lovely.

I'll make you love Stella, Allan.

User Info Menu

Oh I definitely will. Not doing any of that gatekeeping figure it out yourself shit. Just gotta write one out.

The original is not "jazz" and it's like a 2 feel orchestral thing, so I'll put it in 4 so we can keep swinging But the changes are lovely.
    What are you considering the original? The film score, or one of the vocals that came a year or so later?

User Info Menu

What are you considering the original? The film score, or one of the vocals that came a year or so later?
    It's in Bb. The basic progression is the same regardless of the version:

ii7b5/III -> V7/III, etc.

But if you want, here it is.

Shared album - Joe Pawlowski - Google Photos

User Info Menu

I'm talking film score. Pawlowski has posted the accepted "jazz" changes...we'll start there I think, that makes sense.

I can love the original changes all I want, but nobody's playing that at a jam session.

User Info Menu

I'm talking film score. Pawlowski has posted the accepted "jazz" changes...we'll start there I think, that makes sense.

I can love the original changes all I want, but nobody's playing that at a jam session.
    Here's my first take:

User Info Menu

sorry, i just listened and the humming is too loud, i know.

User Info Menu

Cool, I want to listen to the version you like so much.