The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 229

User Info Menu

3rds, 7ths, 6ths, those are the most important. Roots and 5ths less so, as the bass is likely taking care of those. Occasional chromatic passing, but not TOO much.

4 of the same per bar or two and two. Very rarely 4 different notes per bar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mick-7
    No, It’s mostly 1,3,5,6,7 and perhaps the occational 9. And of course some chromatics.
    More 1 and 5 than I had expected, and more collisions with the bass than I would have arranged myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    3rds, 7ths, 6ths, those are the most important. Roots and 5ths less so, as the bass is likely taking care of those. Occasional chromatic passing, but not TOO much. 4 of the same per bar or two and two. Very rarely 4 different notes per bar.
    So this would solve Allan's dilemma of what to play when he sees a funny altered chord symbol, right? Just ignore it and play Freddie Green type chord voicings. If anyone in the band notices the change(s) at all, I bet they'll think it's an improvement and compliment him on his comping.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    So this would solve Allan's dilemma of what to play when he sees a funny altered chord symbol, right? Just ignore it and play Freddie Green type chord voicings. If anyone in the band notices the change(s) at all, I bet they'll think it's an improvement and compliment him on his comping.
    Right, and those notes I mentioned, that's for "one note chords."

User Info Menu

Finally had some time this morning.

There's nothing in the rules about playing to a backing track.

?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132 View Post
    Finally had some time this morning.

?
    Definitely nothing wrong with playing with a track...I do that often and will be doing plenty of that in this thread as the Summer progresses.

A few more days of visitors in the house...have barely picked up a guitar...not good. Love family, but shit, we only got 1200 sq feet over here.

User Info Menu

?
    sounds good, I don’t record with a track because my phone can’t record a video and play music at the same time. But I play along to stuff most of the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    sounds good, I don’t record with a track because my phone can’t record a video and play music at the same time. But I play along to stuff most of the time.
    Yeah, it took me a minute to figure this one out. I a connected speaker to my ipad to play the track and then recorded with my phone.

User Info Menu

Got a new phone a few months ago and it totally threw off my ability to just plunk down a Bluetooth speaker and play along and sound good...my old phone just sort of naturally squashed everything together into a decent mix...my new phone has a much better camera/mic, but that means it's not as easy to get the sweet spot mix, it keeps accentuating whatever is closest in front...more experimentation to be done.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 06-18-2024 at 06:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, looks like I'll be back on schedule this weekend--

Any requests for video content? Tunes? More talk/less talk? Chords, gear setup, technique ponderings, anything else? I'm up for anything

User Info Menu

Well, looks like I'll be back on schedule this weekend--

Any requests for video content? Tunes? More talk/less talk? Chords, gear setup, technique ponderings, anything else? I'm up for anything
    Assuming you will add some, I really learn from others' approach to reharmonizing progressions.

Next song something simple:

I can't give you Anything but Love?
    Moonglow?
    'Tis Autumn?
    I'm Confessin'?
    Dinah?

Would like to hear your take on In a Mellow Tone.

User Info Menu

Assuming you will add some, I really learn from others' approach to reharmonizing progressions.

Next song something simple:

I can't give you Anything but Love?
    Moonglow?
    'Tis Autumn?
    I'm Confessin'?
    Dinah?

Would like to hear your take on In a Mellow Tone.
    These are excellent song choices.

Regarding reharmonization, that might be a topic for someone who knows more than me.

User Info Menu

Regarding reharmonization, that might be a topic for someone who knows more than me.
    Well, maybe chord choice (extended, voicings, inversions, etc.) passing chord choices, etc.

Maybe I'll comment on some reharm I include????

I've seen your videos here, it looks like you are NOT just playing straight "as-written" basic drop-2 chords.

User Info Menu

I've seen your videos here, it looks like you are NOT just playing straight "as-written" basic drop-2 chords.
    Three-note drop-3 voicings are generally more useful than drop-2 for four-to-the-bar swing rhythm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz View Post
    Three-note drop-3 voicings are generally more useful than drop-2 for four-to-the-bar swing rhythm.
    Agree to disagree. I like drop-2, where possible; more compact, no need to mute strings..

User Info Menu

Agree to disagree. I like drop-2, where possible; more compact, no need to mute strings..
    This is kind of a pointless argument, since you need to know both, and mute strings with either option.

User Info Menu

This is kind of a pointless argument, since you need to know both, and mute strings with either option.
    You don't have to mute strings with Drop-2.

User Info Menu

You don't have to mute strings with Drop-2.
    Yes, to play a full drop-2 chord, everything is on concentric strings. BUT we are talking about 2 or 1 note chords for rhythm guitar in this thread. You can't play a 2 note chord with 4 notes, so you're still muting something.

User Info Menu

Yes, to play a full drop-2 chord, everything is there, BUT we are talking about 2 or 1 note chords for rhythm guitar in this thread.
    There's no such thing as a 1 note chord. Or, a two note chord for that matter.

We're talking about Rhythm guitar.

Look at my last video. That's a PERFECT example of four-on-the-floor rhythm guitar.

Why in the world would we want to talk about 1 or 2 note chords????

Thread says "The Summer of Rhythm Guitar 2024"

User Info Menu

There's no such thing as a 1 note chord. Or, a two note chord for that matter.

We're talking about Rhythm guitar.

Look at my last video. That's a PERFECT example of four-on-the-floor rhythm guitar.

Why in the world would we want to talk about 1 or 2 note chords????

Thread says "The Summer of Rhythm Guitar 2024"
    It’s possible you missed some of the particulars of the Freddie Green stylistic stuff. He likes to fret larger chords but mute several of the strings so that only one or two notes fully sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    It’s possible you missed some of the particulars of the Freddie Green stylistic stuff. He likes to fret larger chords but mute several of the strings so that only one or two notes fully sound.
    Ok, yeah, I get that then. That's basically what I'm doing too almost all the time.

thanx for the clarification; helpful.

User Info Menu

In relation to rhythm guitar playing, which is a more traditional "vanilla" approach, I'm thinking that chord substitutions/extensions rather than reharmonization is the norm, e.g., IIIm7 for I maj. - so say, B-D-A instead of G-B-F#, and you could use a passing chord between them like A-C-G (Am7). "Less is more" in this approach so you don't want to get too busy.

I mentioned once before that when I was playing with my college jazz band, we had Joe Williams (vocalist with Count Basie) as a guest artist, and he said to me, "in a big band, the sound of the guitar should be felt rather than heard." He thought I was too loud, which I suppose I was because I could actually be heard in the band.

This was a problem though because at that time I was completely unfamiliar with the Freddie Green style of playing, quiet comping is the best I could do, which insured that my guitar would be neither heard nor felt - those dam horn players are loud!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    In relation to rhythm guitar playing, which is a more traditional "vanilla" approach, I'm thinking that chord substitutions/extensions rather than reharmonization is the norm, e.g., IIIm7 for I maj. - so say, B-D-A instead of G-B-F#, and you could use a passing chord between them like A-C-G (Am7). "Less is more" in this approach so you don't want to get too busy.

I mentioned once before that when I was playing with my college jazz band, we had Joe Williams (vocalist with Count Basie) as a guest artist, and he said to me, "in a big band, the sound of the guitar should be felt rather than heard." He thought I was too loud, which I suppose I was because I could actually be heard in the band.

This was a problem though because at that time I was completely unfamiliar with the Freddie Green style of playing, quiet comping is the best I could do, which insured that my guitar would be neither heard nor felt - those dam horn players are loud!
    Nice post. Thanx. Yeah, I didn't mean full reharm, sorry. I was talking about, like you pointed out, more substitution and passing chords plus throw some tasteful passing chords in and, where appropriate, some tri-tone sub, some secondary dominants, back-door dominants, etc. The stuff we hear all the time.

I like the idea of the guitar being a second drummer rather than a second piano.

It's interesting that most people naturally think of rhythm guitar in a big band situation even though the thread OP didn't mention that.

I think of Rhythm guitar as any situation where the guitar is accompanying a jazz combo.

I was just in NYC to hear one of my favorite groups, The Ear Regulars. Matt Munisteri is an AWESOME rhythm guitar player. In this clip, he's not playign 1 note chords and Playing tons of reharm plus substitutions, etc.

I think this sounds incredible and is what I'm aspiring to and what I think of when I hear "rhythm guitar".

User Info Menu

Nice post. Thanx. Yeah, I didn't mean full reharm, sorry. I was talking about, like you pointed out, more substitution and passing chords plus throw some tasteful passing chords in and, where appropriate, some tri-tone sub, some secondary dominants, back-door dominants, etc. The stuff we hear all the time.

I like the idea of the guitar being a second drummer rather than a second piano.

It's interesting that most people naturally think of rhythm guitar in a big band situation even though the thread OP didn't mention that.

I think of Rhythm guitar as any situation where the guitar is accompanying a jazz combo.

I was just in NYC to hear one of my favorite groups, The Ear Regulars. Matt Munisteri is an AWESOME rhythm guitar player. In this clip, he's not playign 1 note chords and Playing tons of reharm plus substitutions, etc.

I think this sounds incredible and is what I'm aspiring to and what I think of when I hear "rhythm guitar".

Nice... yes, he is the drummer in that band - like the guitar equivalent of drum brushes.

User Info Menu

Mr. Beaumont.

Could you make something on the different ways of phrasing/periodisation when locked into 4/4?

FG plays a lot of 2 bar phrases, reenforcing what the bass is doing (?) , but there are probably other ways to swing…