The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 229

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Nice... yes, he is the drummer in that band - like the guitar equivalent of drum brushes.
    Love it!! Well put.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132 View Post
    Why in the world would we want to talk about 1 or 2 note chords????
    Generally it's because the bass handles the root, he 5th is unnecessary and extensions can get in the way of the soloist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Generally it's because the bass handles the root, he 5th is unnecessary and extensions can get in the way of the soloist.
    You better let all the piano players know that. Boy will their faces be red.

User Info Menu

You better let all the piano players know that. Boy will their faces be red.
    A running joke amongst bass players is that the pianist would do better sitting on their left hand.

User Info Menu

A running joke amongst bass players is that the pianist would do better sitting on their left hand.
    So would the bassist for their solo. :P

User Info Menu

Look at my last video. That's a PERFECT example of four-on-the-floor rhythm guitar.

Why in the world would we want to talk about 1 or 2 note chords????

Thread says "The Summer of Rhythm Guitar 2024"
    Well, it's an example of one way to do it.

I'm a little surprised there's still confusion about what I'm after here, but yeah, I'm definitely listening to and studying Freddie.

I'd love a list of other great rhythm players to check out, actually.

Munisteri's great, ain't he?

As for reharms, I'm just doing a lot of simple subs, like making half dim chords into m6's. I'm a very simple player really.

Lots of good ideas folks, I'm definitely looking forward to posting a lot more ideas...

And again, not from the perspective of being a teacher, I have no business teaching this to anybody. Just from the perspective of a lot of listening and discovering.

You know what, tonight I'll post a bunch of stuff I've been listening to...spoiler alert, lots of one note "chords."

User Info Menu

Oh, and one more thing, rhythm guitar is ABSOLUTELY thinking of the guitar as a piece of tuned percussion.

User Info Menu

Munisteri's rhythm playing in that Ear Regulars video reminds me of John Pizzarelli's (especially in timbre) and Steve Jordan's, at least on the Ruby Braff's All-Stars album (aka Braff!), where you can clearly hear the difference between his playing and Freddie Green's.

Then there's the quite distinct approach of Chris Flory on this Ear Regulars tune:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    As for reharms, I'm just doing a lot of simple subs, like making half dim chords into m6's\
    Make it into one? The two chords are enharmonic, e.g., Dm7b5 (root position) = Fm6 (6th in bass).

But perhaps you mean something like this?

4-x-3-5-x-x (Dm7b5 no root)
    > 4-x-3-4-x-x (Fm6, no 5th) - although this would sound like a V chord (G7b9) if you went to a C chord.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson View Post
    Munisteri's rhythm playing in that Ear Regulars video reminds me of John Pizzarelli's (especially in timbre) and Steve Jordan's, at least on the Ruby Braff's All-Stars album (aka Braff!), where you can clearly hear the difference between his playing and Freddie Green's.

Then there's the quite distinct approach of Chris Flory on this Ear Regulars tune:

What an incredible recording in that space.

I've also seen them with Josh Dunn. Look him up on you tube.

User Info Menu

Make it into one? The two chords are enharmonic, e.g., Dm7b5 (root position) = Fm6 (6th in bass).

But perhaps you mean something like this?

4-x-3-5-x-x (Dm7b5 no root)
    > 4-x-3-4-x-x (Fm6, no 5th) - although this would sound like a V chord (G7b9) if you went to a C chord.
    That's what I'm saying...it's not really a sub or a reharm...just doing what I can to have pleasant movement on the 4th string.

As for what Flory is doing there, I wouldn't call that rhythm guitar. It's fantastic playing, though...I think he's one of the best out there today.

User Info Menu

Went back to listen to Munisteri again...

Playing a lot of drop3 stuff, like I've been mostly doing. Not much in the way of reharmonization, some chromatic walk ups/downs between chords, some common moves to extend long stretches of 1 chord. I'm going to try and do MellowTone soon as I get a chance and then go back and transcribe what I can of Matt, because it is absolutely top notch rhythm playing.

User Info Menu

In A Mellow Tone Rhythm Guitar

User Info Menu

Mellotone is one of my favorites
    I've posted this one before in another thread, but here's an older clip of me playing that tune with a terriffic Big Band.

Nothing fancy in my playing though, just bread and butter rhythm.

Paul
    Last edited by Webby; 06-20-2024 at 05:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I've posted this one before in another thread, but here's an older clip of me playing that tune with a terriffic Big Band.

Paul
    Great job Paul. arrangement too sounds awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post

Paul
    That bands great.

I hear you stay at Eb7 and don't have the weird RB F7 turnaround. I should drop that, I don't think I hear it on the Ellington one either.

User Info Menu

Mellowtonin musings.

User Info Menu

Lady of the Evening, that's a good one. Paul, The EarRegulars stuff is all great too.

User Info Menu

Was posting listening as of late, but YouTube links were wonky, try again later...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Mellowtonin musings.

Thanx for posting.

Ukrainian Village? Logan Square?

User Info Menu

Are transcriptions of Freddie Green or other good rhythm guitar players accompaniment available? It would certainly help us understand what they're doing.

User Info Menu

Are transcriptions of Freddie Green or other good rhythm guitar players accompaniment available? It would certainly help us understand what they're doing.
    There's this website

Freddie Green Style: Transcriptions

User Info Menu

Thanx for posting.

Ukrainian Village? Logan Square?
    Far south side, Mt. Greenwood neighborhood. Almost the burbs but a city address for work, I teach in Roseland. Grew up in Brighton Park, so all Southside for me.

Also, yes, freddiegreen.org is a fantastic resource.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 06-20-2024 at 12:19 PM.

User Info Menu

In A Mellow Tone Rhythm Guitar
    Something you may want to consider is not making contact with your right hand on the strings every time your hand comes up. From about 45 secs on it's pretty constant.

If you like the way that sounds then just tell me to mind my own business. No offense will be taken, and certainly no offense intended by my suggestion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop View Post
    Something you may want to consider is not making contact with your right hand on the strings every time your hand comes up. From about 45 secs on it's pretty constant.

If you like the way that sounds then just tell me to mind my own business. No offense will be taken, and certainly no offense intended by my suggestion.
    Well, that's annoying now that I hear it... It's like strumming a comb. I never noticed I was doing that. Thanks for pointing it out.