The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 63 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDunlop
    And for that I would share a score written by me that displays exactly how do I want that the acompaniament IS played. Etc
    Alrighty. Well, I guess I’m not sure why we’re asking about how chords are named then.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Alrighty. Well, I guess I’m not sure why we’re asking about how chords are named then.
    Ask to the nomenclature philosophers, that dont understand the essence of music

User Info Menu

Ask to the nomenclature philosophers, that doesnt understand the essence of music
    Oh I thought I’d ask the guy who apparently does understand the essence of music, who asked the question (and another about how to name chords) in the first place.

I guess that’s my bad

Oh I thought I’d ask the guy who apparently does understand the essence of music, who asked the question (and another about how to name chords) in the first place.

I guess that’s my bad
    I wanted to know alternative names for 2 chords. One sounded very strange. But now I realised that I can use online tools for that.
    Did I reply your question? Any other question?

User Info Menu

I’m sure I have a few about the essence of music, but it might take me a moment to formulate those in an intelligent way.

As you were.

It actually would be subjective concept, It will depend on each creator, and whats his aim

User Info Menu

It actually would be subjective concept, It will depend on each creator, and whats his aim
    Ah right.

So all those people who don’t understand the essence of music really just don’t understand the essence of your music.

Its possible—and I’m just spitballing here, so bear with me—that you might be missing something about theirs.

User Info Menu

When you play with people who can read, you will likely encounter people who can get very finicky about how a chart is written. If you can adjust the chart to make them happy, you probably end up with a chart that a newbie can read more easily, which is a real benefit when you have a sub in the band.

Ah right.

So all those people who don’t understand the essence of music really just don’t understand the essence of your music.

Its possible—and I’m just spitballing here, so bear with me—that you might be missing something about theirs.
    Not mine. In general. We can divide the essence in aim of the creator and process of making It.

Do I have to put examples?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    In the case of functions we enter another level of abstraction. What precisely does it mean that Gb6 (or for that matter Gbmaj7#11) retains the function of Gb7?

I suppose one could argue that the removal of the leading tone C# renders the function of the chord to be no longer dominant. subdominant. Em in the key of C is a dominant function according to Reimann and so on (it has the B.)

If I understood, in your example it’s standing in for a dominant so its function is normative. I think most jazz musicians mean function in this sense. It a practical definition, not a closed theoretic one. More like the way grammar of a language evolves rather than some immutable fact of nature the way Rameau and his followers imagined it.

(There’s a lot of this grammatical evolution in jazz that I’d love to track more. How exactly did the maj7 go from being a chord that needed to be prepared and resolved in earlier jazz to being considered a consonant tonic chord for example?)

So it’s not a cut and dried concept. You are distilling some aspect of it being different and another of it being the same. So it’s subjective, not objective. And that’s kind of interesting. I think subjectivity is underrated.
    It's Hugo Riemann.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    When you play with people who can read, you will likely encounter people who can get very finicky about how a chart is written. If you can adjust the chart to make them happy, you probably end up with a chart that a newbie can read more easily, which is a real benefit when you have a sub in the band.
    Here IS the problem. I was initially asking about 2 chords from a classical exercptthat IS performed using score and not chart. Maybe I didnt mention It although I think I did

Anyways. End of the week. Out of the forum for sometime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Of course, it’s the verse of All by Myself, which is a lift from Rachmaninoff but even Rach didn’t put the IVm there because he thought ‘maybe it’s too much, I’ll hold it back just this side …’
    Speaking of Rachmaninoff, Jerry Hahn played a lovely solo guitar rendition of Full Moon and Empty Arms on his album Moses,
    I used to have transcription of it.

Jerry Hahn - 05 - Full Moon And Empty Arms - 18:24-20:08