The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I'm 70 years old now and have some arthritis in my left hand. Is there any reason why I can't use mostly two note comping? (Mainly using a Guild X170 AB)

Thanks

Doug

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sure, but why not 3 notes? Very little difference execution wise and you can include another chord tone such as an altered note - just playing the 3rd/7th chord tones can get very boring.

User Info Menu

Well, the 2 notes he plays don't have to be just the 3rd and 7th...

And of course, not comping, but I'd like to invite Doug over to the Summer of Rhythm guitar...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Well, the 2 notes he plays don't have to be just the 3rd and 7th... And of course, not comping, but I'd like to invite Doug over to the Summer of Rhythm guitar...
    Yes, I should have said just the essential chord tones, 3rd/7th, 3rd/6th or whatever, but I'm sure it could work. My main point was that I wouldn't think that 3 notes would be any harder on the arthritic hand than 2 notes, at least if they weren't spread out, think of all you can do with just octaves?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    Yes, I should have said just the essential chord tones, 3rd/7th, 3rd/6th or whatever, but I'm sure it could work. My main point was that I wouldn't think that 3 notes would be any harder on the arthritic hand than 2 notes, at least if they weren't spread out, think of all you can do with just octaves?
    Agreed...a few very simple shapes on strings 4/3/2...can cover a lot of ground.

But of course, could pare those down to two...

The big thing is whatever keeps Doug pain free and playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    Sure, but why not 3 notes? Very little difference execution wise and you can include another chord tone such as an altered note - just playing the 3rd/7th chord tones can get very boring.
    3 notes would be fine if on adjacent strings. Most others would be too great a stretch for my poor fingers.

Doug

User Info Menu

Thanks, Jeff, I'll go have a look at Summer of Rhythm

Doug

User Info Menu

but I'd like to invite Doug over to the Summer of Rhythm guitar...
    Thanks for the invite, but I don't quite get what that thread is supposed to be about and what I am supposed to get out of it for my arthritis/smaller chords. Is it players posting recordings of some rhythm guitar? How to play rhythm guitar, Theory, Or? Or?

Maybe it's just early days for the thread?

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Thanks for the invite, but I don't quite get what that thread is supposed to be about and what I am supposed to get out of it for my arthritis/smaller chords. Is it players posting recordings of some rhythm guitar? How to play rhythm guitar, Theory, Or? Or?

Doug
    I didnt get your question. You mean you cant play 2 notes comping cause of hand problems or if 2 notes comping Is a good or bad choice? If its the latter, then no problem cause you can use It.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDunlop
    I didnt get your question. You mean you cant play 2 notes comping cause of hand problems or if 2 notes comping Is a good or bad choice? If its the latter, then no problem cause you can use It.
    No, because of my arthritis I find it hard to play more than 2-3 chord tones at one time. Of course barres are definitely out. I was wanting to know if I could play effective comping using 2-3 notes.

User Info Menu

No, because of my arthritis I find it hard to play more than 2-3 chord tones at one time. Of course barres are definitely out. I was wanting to know if I could play effective comping using 2-3 notes.
    Yes. You can definetely use 2.

User Info Menu

I've been going through a ZZ Top phase recently, and Billy Gibbons manages to cover a whole lot of sonic territory using double stops and such. I'm trying to incorporate more of that into my own comping as well. I'm sure it would make it easier to avoid stepping on the toes of others in a band setting or session
    Go for it!

User Info Menu

Doug
    Late getting back to you--

It's just about Freddie Green style rhythm guitar, which is a great way to provide accompaniment-- even with only one note.

User Info Menu

even with only one note.
    Like a walking bass line?

User Info Menu

Late getting back to you--

It's just about Freddie Green style rhythm guitar, which is a great way to provide accompaniment-- even with only one note.

Thanks, Jeff.

Doug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    Like a walking bass line?
    No, more like a tenor line-- 4th string only!

User Info Menu

Like Tiny Grimes sometimes?

Doug

User Info Menu

I’ve gotten inspiration for this by listening to Jim Hall’s minimalist comping. I think it was for Sonny Rollins, with no piano. He would use 2 notes to comp, hinting at chords, and it wasn’t only typical shell voicings. Almost like lines, using intervals hitting the upper extensions, 2nds, 3rds, 5ths, etc. From a certain angle, it’s almost liberating.

User Info Menu

Like Tiny Grimes sometimes?

Doug
    For sure, maybe more two notes for Tiny, but on those inside strings...or I suppose for Tiny, his lower strings...

Here's some well recorded Freddie Green...a lot of one note "chords" here. This is what I'm after.

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 06-03-2024 at 08:02 AM.

User Info Menu

For sure, maybe more two notes for Tiny, but on those inside strings.

Here's some well recorded Freddie Green...a lot of one note "chords" here. This is what I'm after.
    Thanks, Jeff. I found a digital download on 7Digital.com of the recording. For a start I like that kind of music. I'll see what I can hear that I can use.

I'm also working on John Pisano's "Jazz Guitar Comping Masterclass"

I'll make it all work for what I need. :-)

Doug

User Info Menu

I'm 70 years old now and have some arthritis in my left hand. Is there any reason why I can't use mostly two note comping? (Mainly using a Guild X170 AB)

Thanks

Doug
    I think I solved my own problem! :-)

I found a book called Wolf Marshall's Jazz Guitar Course.

He has a chapter on GUIDE TONES and that looks like what I was originally talking about. I just didn't know how to express it.

Seek and ye shall find!

Doug
    Last edited by Doug B; 06-04-2024 at 03:09 PM.