The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 96

User Info Menu

Hey guys. Simple question that I have no idea. I have a song I’m writing and notating for our next rehearsal. This song is a cross between a hard hitting McCoy and a fusion thing. It’s got nothing but power chords. You know 5ths. In the past I’d just say C with the letter p after. Or I’d call it Csus and emphasize the 5ths. But this isn’t that. Soloing I’d probably apply then as minor chords (I think) but they’re not played that way. Not yet at least. Not until rehearsal. I’ll asked my pianist and sax player what they’d call them.

Sorry. Basic question I should know the answer to. If I had some rock guitar books I could see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A quick web search told me:

"The notation of power chords is simple, you only have to add the number '5' to the note that you want to use as the root - like C5, A5, and so on."

User Info Menu

They’re usually written as C5. You might have to explain it to non guitarists. But it’s regularly used on the tab/chords with lyrics websites guitarists use.

Edit: Quick Mick beat me to it.

User Info Menu

I just remembered. 5! Yes. Thank you. C5.

User Info Menu

"Power chords" are properly played as the root and the fifth, two strings, two notes, so not really chords.
    At some point people started saying that "root fifth root" were power chords, but that's not the way it was done because those sound lame... "Two strings, good, three strings bad".
    Also, in actual use it is typical to include other two string two note forms in the general "power chord" style, so you may have the one chord played as the root and fifth, but may slip that root down a half step while holding the previous fifth so that the lower note becomes the third and the upper note becomes the root of the new five chord in first inversion (still just two strings)... similar things like maintain the power chord style through progressions, even though some of those things are not strictly " power "chords" ".

User Info Menu

But what to name it if you (a) double the 5th an octave higher or (b) invert that voicing? For example: (a) G-D-D(8va) or (b) D-D(8va)-G.

Debussy liked that inverted chord, used it in pieces such as Clair de Lune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    But what to name it if you (a) double the 5th an octave higher or (b) invert that voicing? For example: (a) G-D-D(8va) or (b) D-D(8va)-G.

Debussy liked that inverted chord, used it in pieces such as Clair de Lune.
    You use some other representation, e.g., figured bass or tablature or (gasp!) music notation. The granularity of "chord symbols" is limited.

User Info Menu

Well, yes, but I had common lead sheets in mind, i.e., only melody and chord symbols.

User Info Menu

I've always seen them notated as (no 3rd).
    For example, C (no 3rd).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    Hey guys. Simple question that I have no idea. I have a song I’m writing and notating for our next rehearsal. This song is a cross between a hard hitting McCoy and a fusion thing. It’s got nothing but power chords. You know 5ths. In the past I’d just say C with the letter p after. Or I’d call it Csus and emphasize the 5ths. But this isn’t that. Soloing I’d probably apply then as minor chords (I think) but they’re not played that way. Not yet at least. Not until rehearsal. I’ll asked my pianist and sax player what they’d call them.

Sorry. Basic question I should know the answer to. If I had some rock guitar books I could see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

So, is there a chord symbol for a 4th "chord"? - C4 (C-F) rather than C5 (C-G), I'm thinking of Debussy's chord = C-C(8va)-F

Maybe C4/C ? - although that would require a footnote on the lead sheet to explain that the /C is an octave lower.

User Info Menu

Probably not man, if you're playing Debussy you should know how to read.

C5 works because power chords are so common with guitar, but non guitarists will probably still have to think about it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That's probably right. If you're arranging you can write the specific voicing on the bar.

User Info Menu

Christian Miller?

Paging Christian miller.

Christian Miller, please report to the thread for an unsolicited lecture on modern use cases for figured bass notation.

User Info Menu

Tablature and chord grids mofos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Wouldn't most people assume that that's a superfluous notation for playing a regular triad, i.e. wouldn't you want to make it clear that the third is not to be played?

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    Christian Miller, please report to the thread for an unsolicited lecture on modern use cases for figured bass notation.
    There goes my decision not to post this: Figured bass - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    So, is there a chord symbol for a 4th "chord"? - C4 (C-F) rather than C5 (C-G), I'm thinking of Debussy's chord = C-C(8va)-F

Maybe C4/C ? - although that would require a footnote on the lead sheet to explain that the /C is an octave lower.
    Why would this not be Csus? Is it important to omit the 5th?
    As I've railed in the past, chord symbols are shorthand that relies on convention. They are not meant to replace standard notation. If the arrangement really demands a specific voicing, why not just write it out in standard notation? It's very common for charts to be a mix of chord symbols and fully-notated cues.

$0.02, YMMV

SJ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    As I've railed in the past, chord symbols are shorthand that relies on convention. They are not meant to replace standard notation. If the arrangement really demands a specific voicing, why not just write it out in standard notation? It's very common for charts to be a mix of chord symbols and fully-notated cues.

$0.02, YMMV

SJ
    Yeah — I mean, they are different. In practice a quartal will be what a guitarist plays for a 7sus chord, but as you mention about the fifth, they aren’t the same thing.

Agree about the symbols though … there’s a reason why Debussy just wrote what he wanted, I would imagine.

User Info Menu

In monk transcriptions, you’ll often see an instruction at the beginning like “symbols are for solos only, during head Monk plays open fifths in left hand and clusters in right” … sometimes clarity is preferable to standardization

User Info Menu

there’s a reason why Debussy just wrote what he wanted, I would imagine.
    Convention you mean? Can't see I've seen many of his autographs but use of figured notation had been out of vogue in classical music for some time already during his life...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Convention you mean? Can't see I've seen many of his autographs but use of figured notation had been out of vogue in classical music for some time already during his life...

I was just being tongue in cheek.

Still — Christian would know more about this, but conventions generally spring up for a purpose and figured bass was less capable of fully representing what a composer wanted as time went on. Sometimes things just fall of vogue but it can be partly due to utility too. Not sure on that one.

User Info Menu

\figured bass was less capable of fully representing what a composer wanted as time went on. Sometimes things just fall of vogue but it can be partly due to utility too. Not sure on that one.
    As a general rule of thumb composers have become more strict in writing down what they wanted rather than expecting performers to share the same conventions re: execution. Not just w.r.t. what the basso continuo player(s) would play but also dynamics, where to add ornaments etc. There are exceptions of course: Schutz was pretty precise about what he wanted and Bach also had a habit of writing out how he would have realised the figured bass. (In this light the generous use of rubato in late romantic music is rather surprising to me.)

I would guess that this was both an evolution akin to fashion changes (i.e. without particular reason) and related to the fact that new music was being publised more readily and being distributed more widely combined with the realisation that not everyone everywhere would understand the composer's intentions. (And maybe they simply observed what happened with earlier publications that still left a lot-and-now-too-much to the performers.)
    One can be pretty certain that this has been studied...

User Info Menu

I have been playing guitar for over 50 years and always thought power chords are what went from the wall plug to the amplifier.

User Info Menu

As I mentioned, I'm thinking in terms of standard chord symbols, like you'd see on "Real Book" type lead sheets, a la the OP's original question: the chord symbol for a "power chord" (root & 5th).

The Debussy voicings I was referring to are very specific: an octave + 5th, and octave + 4th - no other notes in them. The bottom two notes are usually an octave, or occasionally a 5th ("power chord") played in the bass, so I suppose they would be a type of "figured bass" notation as suggested.

On the guitar they'd be these sort of voicings.
    1-x-3-x-1-x
    1-x-3-3-x-x

Actually, now I don't know where I saw the bass power chord + tonic note voicing, I may have just mistook a bass power chord + simultaneous melody note as a discrete voicing - so F5 may suffice for that.

I've always seen them notated as (no 3rd). For example, C (no 3rd).
    The question is (to everyone), would C (no 3rd) imply the same notes as C5? That is, can C5 be either a 2 note chord (C-G) or 3 note chord? (C-G-C)