The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A neighbor who worked on an archtop for me put GHS 1800 Compound wound Nickel in it (1988 or so). He really like them and recommended them.

I wasn't sure what their strengths were and changed strings later. As a beginner I found them uneven in volume but it may well have been me.

I was thinking about them recently since I got another archtop and couldn't remember who made them, or find them by description. I e-mailed GHS to ask if it was them, but no reply.

I found another set in the basement this weekend (!) and thus could search with the exact name, only to find out they are discontinued.

The wrapper seems to imply they have a wound 3rd and double-wound 5th & 6th. I could be wrong, but that's what I read in the description.

Does anyone know if there is anything out there these days using different terminology for the double wrap? Or what the benefit of that construction would be?

To me it sounds like a good candidate product for discontinuation if people weren't clamoring for them.

Thanks

Murray

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Double winding has 2 main justifications that I know of:
    - using a finer outer winding makes for less fingernoise
    - different alloys can be used, e.g. one that is ferromagnetic and one that gives a nicer acoustic tone.
    They're also supposed to be more flexible, thus more comfortable (lower "apparent tension").

Newtone make them. I've tried them once but found that the fingernoise was barely reduced, the comfort not really different from normal strings, and on top of that their intonation felt weird. As if the 2 layers of winding caused (fluctuating) inhomogeinities, possibly caused by the fact that I like to dig in. I brought that up on a big acoustic forum and the consensus indeed seemed to be that double-winding is a technique used for and useful in piano strings but not really suitable for guitar strings.

FWIW, tape-wounds are also double-wound strings: nylon tape over an inner metal wrap (usually nickel-based). AFAIK only Galli also include tape-wound trebles in their set.

User Info Menu

I used those strings quite a bit. They were a bit warmer than most. I found the tension to be a bit more and still some finger squeak. GHS makes a rollerwound string they call nickel rockers. I would imagine they would direct you to them if they ever get back to you. They would be the 1400 now.

User Info Menu

A set of GHS 1810's compound wound .12 .16 .24 .30 .44 .54 went on every Barker Guitar out the door. The strings used by the late Johnny Gray and the only strings I used my first 15 years playing.

User Info Menu

Thank you.

Yesterday I found a post here from someone who had stocked up with Compound Wound & didn't know what he would use when he ran out. Can't find it today.

I will check out the roller wound 1400's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    A set of GHS 1810's compound wound .12 .16 .24 .30 .44 .54 went on every Barker Guitar out the door. The strings used by the late Johnny Gray and the only strings I used my first 15 years playing.
    John Gray,there's a name you don't here much.I was just listening to the album he did with Herb Ellis last month.He's another guy that deserves more attention.His guitar part on Julie London's Nice Girls is classic.

User Info Menu

I picked up a John[ny] Gray record in my home town Wellington New Zealand in the mid 60's
    when I'd buy any record that had a guy with an archtop.... the album was called New Wave [nothing to do with the aftermath of Punk ]

I remember that the tracks were short and to the point. The playing and arrangements were standout...so pleased to
    be reminded of that time, that record and that player!
    Take a listen to John Gray, lost to time and a sad end for him, but it's good to celebrate the great players who came before us.

Here's a reference from right here on the forum:

Remembering John Gray