The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, my modest little quartet plays through a PA at most gigs. The guitar sounds OK but not as nice as when I play through my amp. So I think I have a couple of choices. mic up my existing amp or get a Quilter tone block ( or similar) and use that through the PA. Monitoring is a consideration so perhaps the mic option is better as I would also hear my amp rather than rely on the PA monitors.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced mic or any alternatives to a Quilter? or is there another way. I’m quite new to this.

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you're going to mic, get a Shure SM57. It's like $100 and the best option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    If you're going to mic, get a Shure SM57. It's like $100 and the best option.
    you can find them for about 1/2 that used.
    I still use 57's because I have a bunch I've acquired cheap over the years but a lot of people like the Sennheiser E906 and you don't need a stand, you can drape it over the amp.

User Info Menu

I use an SM58 copy. It's totally adequate and I get the sound of my Polytone 10" speaker thru the PA. And I can hear the sound I want to hear from my amp.
    If I have a rare amp failure I plug into a Bad Monkey (effect turned off) using the 'mix' output straight into the desk. It acts as a speaker simulation. It's a bit of a compromise but I hear myself through the foldback. It works very well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geospectrum
    Hi, my modest little quartet plays through a PA at most gigs. The guitar sounds OK but not as nice as when I play through my amp. So I think I have a couple of choices. mic up my existing amp or get a Quilter tone block ( or similar) and use that through the PA. Monitoring is a consideration so perhaps the mic option is better as I would also hear my amp rather than rely on the PA monitors.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced mic or any alternatives to a Quilter? or is there another way. I’m quite new to this.

Thanks.
    May I ask why your band goes through a PA? "Modest little quartet" sounds like not too loud, especially indoors. What is the instrumentation and what size places do you play, inside/outside?
    Electric keyboards always need something, vocals usually like to have something, but drums, sax, trumpet, and electric guitar can do fine without... some bassists with uprights like to have a little amp for reinforcement. Or is it because the PA helps you record your shows?
    Just curious...
    Last edited by pauln; 08-23-2024 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I use an SM58 copy. It's totally adequate and I get the sound of my Polytone 10" speaker thru the PA. And I can hear the sound I want to hear from my amp.
    If I have a rare amp failure I plug into a Bad Monkey (effect turned off) using the 'mix' output straight into the desk. It acts as a speaker simulation. It's a bit of a compromise but I hear myself through the foldback. It works very well.
    You can use a 58 obviously but they're best suited to vocal applications

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    You can use a 58 obviously but they're best suited to vocal applications
    It's the only mic I have and I got it primarily for vocals but I've mic'd a guitar speaker many times with it.

User Info Menu

If a mic is designed for vocals, then it really doesn't mean that it can't work for other stuff brilliantly.

edit: like this EV re320 for guitar amp, we had this ordered by someone for some other reason.
    Once tried, I stopped to even care to try the other options. It just sounded exactly the same as standing near the amp.

edit: oops. re320 was meant for broader usage. but re20 started it.
    Last edited by emanresu; 08-23-2024 at 06:53 PM.