The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

From r/jazzguitar, in answer to the question, "Whats the importance of the music universities in the development of jazz?"

I enrolled at the U of Miami in 1974 as a music major. I went downstairs my first night to a mixer, and Steve Morse was playing with his band. He was a student. I changed my major the next day and had a successful career as a lawyer. So, that is what a music university did for me. I saw Steve playing at the Iridium in NYC about ten years ago and thanked him for my legal career.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some artists are very accessible, some not so much.

I think one could probably find a way to get a message to Steve if one really wanted to.

I have never met him personally, but have seen him with the Dregs probably a half dozen times. In fact, my first club concert was the Dregs at a long-gone establishment in Chattanooga. I was 17 but allowed in and drank my first mixed drink there--a whiskey sour.

I HAVE met Allen Sloanov, their first violinist. He gave a small group concert at Emory, and I chatted with him there. I was in med school at Emory and he was either in med school or about to go to med school. IIRC he went to Medical College of Georgia, where I was also accepted.

I have not met the second violinist Mark O'Connor personally, but I did see him with the Dregs. He also responded to a Facebook post of mine on his page. I've had several artists who are social media savvy do that. In fact, got a reply from Dave Grisman just yesterday after I complemented his work with Tony Rice.

User Info Menu

He seems like a really nice person from the interviews. Probably too busy practicing, recording or touring to be able to make a dent in all the emails and messages he must be getting.