The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Thought it might be fun to have a thread just talking about current, forward looking stuff.

I'm currently in love with this album. Jazz meets the Stranger Things soundtrack

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm very fond of this. Like their first album, it consists of recompositions of jazz standards. I like to think of it as like prog-jazz, and it's very rhythmically intricate and tonally sophisticated, incorporating elements of classical music, both western and on the first track, Indian.

Anthropometricks | Trio HLK (bandcamp.com)

User Info Menu

Jeff's example made me feel like putting on Astradyne (which isn't jazz either, or at least we'll agree about that )

User Info Menu

I like this. Some random thoughts: I like that it is performed by humans. I hear some Phillip Glass. Unlike Glass they're not performing the repeated figures. They're sequenced, or looped or something. But who cares. A lot less physically demanding. I'd prefer to be the sax or drum guy myself.

Here's an EG of something forward looking that I listen to regularly. I have a few of his post Work albums:

User Info Menu

Also:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post
    I'm very fond of this...
    Thanks for this James. Downloading now. I hope to find some other new-to-me stuff here.

User Info Menu

I've only heard the sensational Trio HLK track but this is already my favourite thread of the year!

User Info Menu

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for with this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    Thanks for this James. Downloading now. I hope to find some other new-to-me stuff here.
    You're welcome. Thanks for introducing me to the Miles Okazaki - someone whose interpretations of Monk's music I've been familiar with for a while, but whose own stuff I have never before now checked out.

User Info Menu

Wow, I've got to check out Antoine Boyer. Great stuff.

The "newest" jazz I listen to is probably Jakob Bro. But I have to be in the right mood.

User Info Menu

Help me out here guys... we have a forum member who was posting some videos awhile back, of his combo... really cool stuff... the one thing I remember is that the drummer was female. Anyone remember who I'm talking about with that limited info?

User Info Menu

I quite like this:
    Shape of jazz to come/that's here-a2097509568_16-jpg

Modern Yesterdays | Kaki King

User Info Menu

Completely blown away by Trio HLK. I'm not listening to anything else for the time being and would like to express my gratitude to James W for posting the link. I thought this music only existed in dreams.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C View Post
    Completely blown away by Trio HLK. I'm not listening to anything else for the time being and would like to express my gratitude to James W for posting the link. I thought this music only existed in dreams.
    You're welcome!

Yeah they're amazing. Very unique. It's like cubist jazz or something, with jazz standards sort of discernible or refracted through the weird arty proggy perspective.

I still need to check out their first album actually. And guitarist Ant Law's own stuff is very much worth checking out.

User Info Menu

By the way, "Shape of jazz to come" sounds like a good title for a new subforum or, at least, a sticky thread. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny's 2018 induction as a NEA Jazz Master was the first time I heard Camila Meza. I thought she stood out even in that crowd!
    Here you go:

Last edited by Sam Sherry; 09-16-2024 at 09:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Just revisited the website of a friend's label after a longer while and found this one quite nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post
    I'm very fond of this. Like their first album, it consists of recompositions of jazz standards. I like to think of it as like prog-jazz, and it's very rhythmically intricate and tonally sophisticated, incorporating elements of classical music, both western and on the first track, Indian.

Anthropometricks | Trio HLK (bandcamp.com)
    Yeah, I can dig it, cheers for sharing

User Info Menu

Lately I’ve been really enjoying the Joe Lovano Trio’s Garden of Expression album. Wonderful music and very deep.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    Also:
    I love Floating Points, particularly his album with Pharaoh Sanders.

He has a new album out, which is pretty techno, but more interesting than most stuff of that type. Not very jazzy on first listen though.

User Info Menu

The Bad Plus new album:

Mulatu Astatke - Tezeta (Nostalgia)

Idk if this fits the criteria. Too old?

User Info Menu

Yeah, what about past current forward looking stuff?
    This was my introduction to jazz and favorite record.
    Even after fifty+ years, it still sounds timeless to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    The Bad Plus new album:

Ahhh..Ben Monder .. he does hear something very different

User Info Menu

The Jac, from Wellington, New Zealand.