Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Playing guitar with a broken clavicle-buhs7zktxwc31-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hope you heal quickly!

User Info Menu

Tramadol, IME, is pretty much useless. OTC migraine formula, a mix of equal parts aspirin and acetaminophen, and a little caffeine, works better for me, and better than naproxen. In fact, nothing containing codeine or similar has worked well for me. I can't say why, that's just something I deal with.

User Info Menu

<< I really cannot play guitar because cast in the way but i can wait 11 days. They said playing guitar good therapy when that starts on 10th. >>

The healing process can't be pushed in any way, except by reducing swelling. G
    ive the hand a little break, the fractures and the surrounding soft tissues (hematomas from the fractured bones) will thank you.
    Playing guitar at the right time is one of the best therapies ever. Sending speedy recovery vibes across the Atlantic ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Tramadol, IME, is pretty much useless. OTC migraine formula, a mix of equal parts aspirin and acetaminophen, and a little caffeine, works better for me, and better than naproxen. In fact, nothing containing codeine or similar has worked well for me. I can't say why, that's just something I deal with.
    Opiates like Tramadol are often not very effective for pain in skeleton, muscles and connective tissue. It works better for pain in the inner organs like, for example, cancer pain. But it is depo formulation so it has a long half life and the body tends to accumulate it so one can end up with a very high blood concentration and if one take it continuosly one will get seriously addicted. That's why it's so hard to quit. It's also why the tendency in the medical profession (at least where I live) is swinging towards using morphine instead which is basically the same but has a shorter half life in the body.

For skeleton/muscle/ connective tissue pain, aspirin, naproxen and the like is often more effective than opiates, partly because they are also antiinflammatoric and imflammatory reactions are often a part of the pain in these conditions. But of course, they too have their side effects such as gastritis (maybe even peptic ulcer) and putting stress on the liver. They make a feverish body temperature go down, so they may mask one of the best warning signs of a beginning infection. They also mess with blood coagulation, and thus they are no-go for the many people who are on oral anticoagulants these days (for example due to atrial fibrillation).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane View Post
    But of course, they too have their side effects
    Reading the list of those on the notice that comes with NSAIDs really gives me pause, esp. the increased risk of developing cataracts. Plus they interact with SSRIs and that's usually not mentioned.

Well I don't take antidepressants, no gastric issues, I have read they can interfere with healing of bones. I take 220 mgs of naproxen 3 times in 24 hours. I have beer before dinner too but just one. I go monday for follow up see therapy. I don't know when pins come out hopefull 3-4 weeks? My collarbone healing pretty well I can put both hands on bike handlebars while I ride indoor trainer. The bone has joined just need to avoid any reaj pressure of weight. So far everything has gone opposite in terms of healing and expectations.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about this. Get well soon!

Took off removable cast today and played first time seriously with pick. Did fine and really the only problem was shoulder out over the guitar for 30-40 minutes a bit pain. Otherwise chops ok left hand of course need some work but ok. I need to be able to check my new guitar day out tomorrow on the thread about Big Mike and his guitars. Hopefully pins out July 1st. I sure would like to know how clavicle has healed. It does not hurt at all but bump and seems a bit out of line. I can easily ride my road bike on the trainer for 2 hours and now with hands and arms both on bar. At first was just in sling but out of that after a few days, they never told me to even come back for follow up on the clavicle.

User Info Menu

Good news all that!

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    I need to be able to check my new guitar day out tomorrow on the thread about Big Mike and his guitars. [...] I can easily ride my road bike on the trainer for 2 hours and now with hands and arms both on bar.
    I decided against suggesting not to take the bike for going to get that guitar on that other thread, but I guess here would be OK

Also, just realised that all this puts your signature in a new light!

User Info Menu

I wish you the best. I broke my left (fret side) clavicle in April 2001 in a bike accident. There are still times when it feels uncomfortable, but mostly as a result of a poor sleeping position. That said, it took a long time to get it only being uncomfortable then. Still have full range of motion and strength. Going out to golf later today.

User Info Menu

Get well.

I fractured a clavicle 1.5-2" long about 52 years ago riding a bike uphill at just about 0 mph. Foot went into front spokes and flipped the bike. I hadn't discovered toe clips yet, but those led to a couple other 0 MPH falls. So I have a history of head impacts starting at 6 months of age...some of you may have already surmised that might be part of who I am.

I too finished the ride, an American Youth Hostels trip I didn't want to be sent home from on a bus. My sprained ankle & face road rash were more painful.

The bone was prominently larger than the other side for many years and it finally got x-rayed only because I relentlessly asked them to when I was having a hand x-ray...convinced them to allow me to put my hand up by my shoulder. It seemed to settle back closer to normal position with time but I have begun playing guitar and the elevated shoulder position with larger body guitars causes dull aches. Then there is the crunching sound when I shrug, but that isn't uncomfortable.

Maybe this is the year to ask what else is hiding in there. Have other concerns first.

So I play smaller guitars for the time being.

Murray