The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I’m flying with my tele packed
    in a suitcase with the neck removed from the body ….
    (capo on the first fret strings staying on)

It’s fairly easy to do the diss-assembly
    and re-assembly thing

anyone travelled like this ?
    is there anything I should watch out for ?

thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve been thinking of doing this, too, after finding various travel guitars somehow disappointing.

I read that some of those who travel with Teles this way have inserted screw sockets where the neck attached so repeated on and off doesn’t wear down the wood. IIRC, I think Bill Frisell did this with his travel Tele.

I hope others who know more can chime in on this question.

User Info Menu

I used to do that with my lightest guitar (a chambered Strat) before I got a travel guitar. It works well. I'd put a capo on the first fret and loosen the strings just enough to release the neck so you don't even have to put the strings back on the guitar. You can also throw a Katana-mini in the bag. It weighs and costs next to nothing.

The long scale neck may not fit inside a carry-on luggage. A short scale bolt-on guitar like a Mustang would probably work even better for that purpose when you don't want to check-in a luggage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    I read that some of those who travel with Teles this way have inserted screw sockets where the neck attached so repeated on and off doesn’t wear down the wood. IIRC, I think Bill Frisell did this with his travel Tele.
    It'd take a lot of travelling to strip the screw holes. The repair for that is fairly easy using a wood filler. Fill the holes. Make new holes with a screwdriver before the filler fully dries out. Leave it for a few hours (or overnight) and you're done. In the worst case you may need to do this every 5 years or so if you travel a lot. It just replaces the stripped wood with filler.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 05-28-2024 at 08:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I used a Steinberger for several years. People looked at me in the airport because the case looked like it may have a rifle in it.

I like the wood filler idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I used to do that with my lightest guitar (a chambered Strat) before I got a travel guitar. It works well. I'd put a capo on the first fret and loosen the strings just enough to release the neck so you don't even have to put the strings back on the guitar. You can also throw a Katana-mini in the bag. It weighs and costs next to nothing.

The long scale neck may not fit inside a carry-on luggage. A short scale bolt-on guitar like a Mustang would probably work even better for that purpose when you don't want to check-in a luggage.
    not a Katana but
    Ive ordered one of these ….
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0B...b_b_prod_image

£30 if it makes any kind of cleanish
    sound will be fine , it’s just so i can
    practice for a gig coming up

rechargeable USB C and
    doubles as a BT speaker which
    will be nice for travelling too ….

I see I’m not allowed to take
    any kind of tools in my cabin bag
    (so i think i’ll just have to borrow
    or buy a cheap cross head screwdriver
    when i get there)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I see I’m not allowed to take
    any kind of tools in my cabin bag
    (so i think i’ll just have to borrow
    or buy a cheap cross head screwdriver
    when i get there)
    Does the tele neck fit inside your carry-on luggage? I remember that was an issue. In my case, the neck didn't fit even diagonally across the longest dimension of the my luggage (which was the largest size most airlines typically allow).

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Does the tele neck fit inside your carry-on luggage? I remember that was an issue. In my case, the neck didn't fit even diagonally across the longest dimension of the my luggage (which was the largest size most airlines typically allow).
    yes It does , I’m flying BA and they
    allow a 56 x 45 x 25cm cabin bag

which is just big enough on the diagonal for a tele neck

User Info Menu

I travel with a tele in a gig bag. Have never had an issue getting it onto the plane. TSA regulation says if there’s room they can’t ask you to check it.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos;[URL="tel:1338709"
    1338709[/URL]]I travel with a tele in a gig bag. Have never had an issue getting it onto the plane. TSA regulation says if there’s room they can’t ask you to check it.
    I’m travelling in europe
    sorry I should have said that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I travel with a tele in a gig bag. Have never had an issue getting it onto the plane. TSA regulation says if there’s room they can’t ask you to check it.
    True for domestic US flights, but international/non-US (or domestic US flights on smaller planes) is much more of a crapshoot.

User Info Menu

Errrr … if there’s any precision at all to that neck pocket fit, then it’s not a good idea.

I worked for a guitar builder for a time and every time they removed the neck, they had to refit it.

Honestly might not matter for a fender, but they’re built to be easily reparable in the event of damage, jot to be just taken apart for storage and transport etc.

User Info Menu

Hi all,

and re-assembly thing

thanks
    I have done it a few times. Brought a stubby screw driver with me to put the neck on and take it off again when returning. Other than sorting out your string situation there really isn't much that could go wrong. I did bubble wrap the neck and the body separately, of course.

Edit: I have always packed in a large backpack and checked it as baggage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Yeah, I have been on plenty fights where they make announcements for no more carry-ons and you need to check what you have. Also, it is best to see if you even bought a ticket that allows for carry-ons. Some carriers have ultra budget tickets and you don't get much besides a seat.

User Info Menu

Hi all,

and re-assembly thing

thanks
    Some years ago I bought a new Danelectro 12 string electric that was shipped that way from the US to UK. It was the cheapest way to post. Strings were cellotaped to the neck. The 4 neck screws were loose in the box amongst the packing beans so that caused a brief panic. It all went back together great. In retrospeact a very safe way to ship.

User Info Menu

Julian Lage put some bolts into his telecaster neck mount to make it easy to disassemble the guitar for travel. Explanation at the link below:

Julian Lage shares pro tip for traveling with a Telecaster – remove the neck completely | Guitar World

Travelling with a Tele (in two parts)-bolt-neck-telecaster-julian-lage-png

Travelling with a Tele (in two parts)-2024-05-28_16-14-51-png

thanks for the JL tele pics man ,
    rad ….

I’m gonna stay with the stock
    woodscrews for now as i don’t fly with
    the tele very often ….

the stubby screwdriver is a good idea
    I’ve got one around here somewhere ,
    I’m gonna go search it out now ….

cheers

User Info Menu

Very interesting idea. My one thought is that bolts and tools (e.g., screwdrivers) might be confiscated at security in some places (unless checked). I remember a few years back, I had a truss rod hex wrench in the case for a Washburn Rover and that was taken by airport security.

I travel frequently internationally and now travel with a Journey Instruments Overhead Electric (Overhead Electric Travel Guitars - Journey Instruments). For an electric travel guitar, it is a solid option. It is good enough for a jam. If I was to perform with it regularly, I'd make a few upgrades to the electronics.

I have heard good things about Ciari guitars, but I have not had a chance to try yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu;[URL="tel:1338696"
    1338696[/URL]]not a Katana but
    Ive ordered one of these ….
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0B...b_b_prod_image

£30 if it makes any kind of cleanish
    sound will be fine , it’s just so i can
    practice for a gig coming up

rechargeable USB C and
    doubles as a BT speaker which
    will be nice for travelling too ….
    update , the little Lekato amp
    has gone back ….
    it was too quiet on the clean setting

User Info Menu

I’m gonna stay with the stock
    woodscrews for now as i don’t fly with
    the tele very often ….
    Yeah, I doubt Julian's bolt technique is really worth it unless you fly with the Tele quite a bit.

User Info Menu

Bill Kirchen put in the bolt inserts described above. He might actually have been the first person to do it and talk about it.

If you're traveling with solid-body guitars often you might look into the Voyage Air TransAxe guitars. Not cheap--but I can vouch they are well made and reliable.

TransAxe Series are compact electrics, stored in the included backpack case, the size of a laptop, gives up nothing in tone.

I will be taking my OM-size VA flattop with me to Colorado on Friday. Once I took the guitar in the case to Jamaica as my only luggage. I stuffed the soundhole with underwear and socks and shirts. It even fit under the seat.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 05-29-2024 at 06:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    update , the little Lekato amp
    has gone back ….
    it was too quiet on the clean setting
    Have you considered a Positive Grid Spark Go? I have been traveling with one for a while and it is perfect for hotel room practice. It also doubles as a decent Bluetooth speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_k;[URL="tel:1339175"
    1339175[/URL]]Have you considered a Positive Grid Spark Go? I have been traveling with one for a while and it is perfect for hotel room practice. It also doubles as a decent Bluetooth speaker.
    Yes I did consider buying one of
    those ….
    but I already own a Spark mini ….
    so I’m gonna carry the bit of extra weight and take the mini in my
    cabin bag

so to update
    yeah it all worked great
    the security guy at the airport said “what’s in the bag”
    about 4 times then re x-rayed it for a while
    then opened up the bag and said “ok so its a guitar” …. I said “yeah it a guitar”

i had packed a stubby crosshead screwdriver which went through ok

I just re-assembled and tuned it up
    and it all seems fine ….

so method recommended ….