The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

I identify as a songwriter, and AI music generation reduces songwriting to just a few words as a prompt. I guess as a hobby I can ignore AI music generation and just continue on as I have been. But I think it sucks for songwriters, I like to think I was doing something that some people thought was special (thanks mom ).

How do you think this will affect professional musicians? songwriters? composers? live music?

It seems just a month ago it was a joke, but now this AI Carolina-O song... (what will it be like a year from now)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll out bop and out Monk the bot. Idgaf.

User Info Menu

How to say ... given that the vast majority of songs are very predictable texts about love-this-and-or-that I'm refraining from making claims about the likely intelligence of the average songwriter ... and if the lyrics are going to be "sung" with so much post-processing that no one can understand them it doesn't really matter how intelligent they are themselves.

BTW, any song that gets popular enough internationally will probably be heard by a majority of people for whom the lyrics are most just sounds anyway.

Writing lyrics (poems) with unexpected associations and other far-fetched things that make you think or smile, I'm not convinced that is something that's likely to be something AI will be able to do sooner rather than later. But I guess we'll see.

(I'm curious what the current AI would come up with if you included "mattress" and "dancing" in that few-word prompt )

User Info Menu

What’s interesting to me isn’t how good the AI song is, but how pathetic contemporary music is in general. Especially what’s on the charts.

Check back when AI writes a true classic.

User Info Menu

AI is not a joke. It’s going to kill the arts and simultaneously destroy the office job market, leaving only plumbers and CEOs employed.

This is the end guys. I hope that AI video of Frank Sinatra singing I’m A Barbie Girl was worth it.

User Info Menu

^ Well if it's so advanced have it make me an artificial gf.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Music is just rules with some experienced based edits. AI is really good at that and will surpass us. We're going the way of the vinyl record. Maybe humans are the best for making music, but we're expensive and inconvenient. Performance will still be a thing I hope.. but writing and recording will be dominated by cognitive AI.

If you rely on music to pay the bills, would be good to pay attention and have a plan to adapt to change.

Oh.. and all those guitars you've been meaning to get around to selling? Do it now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    We're going the way of the vinyl record.
    So we're making a huge resurgence and people are going to pay waaaay too much for us? I'm in!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    So we're making a huge resurgence and people are going to pay waaaay too much for us? I'm in!
    The vinyl record analogy was chosen over the 8 track and cassette intentionally. I do hope that quality will command a price and marketplace in the future. Just don't think it will be a large enough slice to allow for as much creativity and art as I would like to see. Did I mention we're all doomed?

User Info Menu

Will AI displace a lot of simplistic, commodity music? yes, and soon. Dare I say, not soon enough. Most pop music is horribly uninspiring and beyond dumbed-down harmonically and rhythmically. The sooner those "artists" go back to serving burgers, the better.

But seeing a live performance by an inspiring musician is a human experience that AI will never displace. While I love a great record (and can geek out on gear with the best of them) I don't get quite the same thrill from gear or from seeing gear reproduce a performance. Right now (for a lot of money) you can buy a midified Yamaha grand piano that will reproduce precisely a performance by Elton John or Chick Corea or any number of other musicians, but that's not the same as seeing Elton play live; for me, it never will be. I am inspired not just by the beauty of a composition or a performance, but by the person who can do that. It's both inspirational (wow, that is sooo cool!) and aspirational (Gosh, if Larry can do that, maybe I can too!)

AI will probably write something memorable eventually, and I hope to appreciate that appropriately for what it is, not in a "what a human can do vs. what a machine can do" kind of way.

AI seems like it could be the perfect tool to devise some new approach to harmony that will thrill us all. It could be the next Wagner or Debussy.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, what happens when they make an organic clone of Beethoven or EVH or Bird from some latent DNA? Would you go to see that person perform? I would. Absolutely. Jurassic Byrdland :-)

The ease of generating music via AI will in the future make the ability to play and compose on one's own without tech even more special. Most people already don't want to put in the effort that it takes to learn to play well; even fewer of them will when they can just get the computer to do it for them.

Will we make "artists" of the people who "compose" the text prompts that generate the songs? Oy.

User Info Menu

Bro. I just thought of something scarier than AI taking over music.. What if AI learns how to trade? And it can compound $$ infinitely..

What happens if AI learns how to trade and it can compound money infinitely?

ChatGPT

The concept of an AI that can trade and compound money infinitely raises several intriguing considerations across economic, ethical, regulatory, and technological dimensions. Here’s a breakdown of what might happen:
    Economic Implications

1. Market Efficiency: An AI capable of perfect trading could, in theory, exploit all inefficiencies in the market, leading to more efficient markets. However, if only one or a few entities control such AI, it could lead to monopolistic conditions.
    2. Wealth Concentration: Such an AI would likely lead to unprecedented wealth accumulation for its owners. This could exacerbate wealth inequality, potentially destabilizing economies and societies.
    3. Market Volatility: The introduction of an ultra-efficient trading AI could initially cause significant market volatility as it exploits inefficiencies and outcompetes human traders and other algorithms.
    4. Economic Disruption: Many financial professionals and institutions might find their roles obsolete, leading to significant job losses and requiring a restructuring of the financial industry.

Ethical and Social Implications

1. Fairness: The existence of such an AI raises questions about fairness and access. If only a few have access to this technology, it could create an unfair advantage and deepen socio-economic divides.
    2. Regulation: There would be a strong case for regulating such AI to prevent monopolistic practices and ensure it is used in a way that benefits society as a whole.
    3. Ethical Use: Decisions about how and when to use such AI would need careful ethical consideration to avoid negative social impacts, such as exacerbating poverty or manipulating markets to the detriment of the broader public.

Regulatory Implications

1. Oversight: Regulatory bodies would need to develop new frameworks to oversee and control the use of such powerful trading AI. This might include setting limits on its trading activities, monitoring for manipulative practices, and ensuring transparency.
    2. Global Coordination: Since financial markets are global, international cooperation and regulation would be essential to manage the impacts of such AI and prevent regulatory arbitrage (where entities move to jurisdictions with more lenient regulations).

Technological Implications

1. AI Advancements: The development of such an AI would likely drive significant advancements in machine learning, data analysis, and computational power.
    2. Security: Protecting such AI from malicious actors would be crucial, as the consequences of it being hacked or misused could be catastrophic.
    3. Sustainability: The energy consumption and environmental impact of running such a powerful AI would need to be considered, particularly as it scales.

Hypothetical Scenario Analysis

In a hypothetical scenario where an AI can compound money infinitely:

1. Short-Term: The financial markets would likely experience significant disruption as the AI outperforms all other traders, leading to massive profits for its owners and potentially driving other participants out of the market.
    2. Medium-Term: Regulatory bodies would step in to curb the AI's activities, attempting to prevent it from destabilizing the market and causing unfair wealth concentration. Policies might include taxes, trading limits, or outright bans on certain types of trades.
    3. Long-Term: The financial industry would adapt to the presence of such AI. This might involve integrating AI into broader market systems, finding new roles for human traders, and potentially redefining the nature of trading itself. Society would also need to address the broader implications of such concentrated wealth and the changes in the job market.

Conclusion

While the idea of an AI that can compound money infinitely is theoretically fascinating, in practice, it would pose significant challenges and risks. The economic benefits could be enormous, but so too could the potential for market disruption, wealth inequality, and ethical concerns. Careful regulation and ethical considerations would be essential to harness such technology for the broader good.

User Info Menu

AI music, yikes, it's improving fast-1718163198852-png

User Info Menu

Oh, private equity trading firms have been using AI for some time now, at least for market analysis.

User Info Menu

^ I know but it isn't that effective so far.

User Info Menu

As more entertainment, the real AI.

User Info Menu

Please take this comment as it is intended!

If AI learns from the great musicians of the past and then applies their ideas to new scenarios, or combines two great ideas, how is it different from our education system? After all, our musical education system also encourages students to study and transcribe the works of the greats to use as a foundation for their own ideas.

Interested in your views!

User Info Menu

Better think twice before asking your bots; AI is starting to top the declining crypto currency scam regarding energy consumption ...

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Best regards from an representative of and advocate for natural intelligence

User Info Menu

The library music people are screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons View Post
    Bro. I just thought of something scarier than AI taking over music.. What if AI learns how to trade? And it can compound $$ infinitely..

What happens if AI learns how to trade and it can compound money infinitely?

ChatGPT

The concept of an AI that can trade and compound money infinitely raises several intriguing considerations across economic, ethical, regulatory, and technological dimensions. Here’s a breakdown of what might happen:
    Economic Implications

1. Market Efficiency: An AI capable of perfect trading could, in theory, exploit all inefficiencies in the market, leading to more efficient markets. However, if only one or a few entities control such AI, it could lead to monopolistic conditions.
    2. Wealth Concentration: Such an AI would likely lead to unprecedented wealth accumulation for its owners. This could exacerbate wealth inequality, potentially destabilizing economies and societies.
    3. Market Volatility: The introduction of an ultra-efficient trading AI could initially cause significant market volatility as it exploits inefficiencies and outcompetes human traders and other algorithms.
    4. Economic Disruption: Many financial professionals and institutions might find their roles obsolete, leading to significant job losses and requiring a restructuring of the financial industry.

Ethical and Social Implications

1. Fairness: The existence of such an AI raises questions about fairness and access. If only a few have access to this technology, it could create an unfair advantage and deepen socio-economic divides.
    2. Regulation: There would be a strong case for regulating such AI to prevent monopolistic practices and ensure it is used in a way that benefits society as a whole.
    3. Ethical Use: Decisions about how and when to use such AI would need careful ethical consideration to avoid negative social impacts, such as exacerbating poverty or manipulating markets to the detriment of the broader public.

Regulatory Implications

1. Oversight: Regulatory bodies would need to develop new frameworks to oversee and control the use of such powerful trading AI. This might include setting limits on its trading activities, monitoring for manipulative practices, and ensuring transparency.
    2. Global Coordination: Since financial markets are global, international cooperation and regulation would be essential to manage the impacts of such AI and prevent regulatory arbitrage (where entities move to jurisdictions with more lenient regulations).

Technological Implications

1. AI Advancements: The development of such an AI would likely drive significant advancements in machine learning, data analysis, and computational power.
    2. Security: Protecting such AI from malicious actors would be crucial, as the consequences of it being hacked or misused could be catastrophic.
    3. Sustainability: The energy consumption and environmental impact of running such a powerful AI would need to be considered, particularly as it scales.

Hypothetical Scenario Analysis

In a hypothetical scenario where an AI can compound money infinitely:

1. Short-Term: The financial markets would likely experience significant disruption as the AI outperforms all other traders, leading to massive profits for its owners and potentially driving other participants out of the market.
    2. Medium-Term: Regulatory bodies would step in to curb the AI's activities, attempting to prevent it from destabilizing the market and causing unfair wealth concentration. Policies might include taxes, trading limits, or outright bans on certain types of trades.
    3. Long-Term: The financial industry would adapt to the presence of such AI. This might involve integrating AI into broader market systems, finding new roles for human traders, and potentially redefining the nature of trading itself. Society would also need to address the broader implications of such concentrated wealth and the changes in the job market.

Conclusion

While the idea of an AI that can compound money infinitely is theoretically fascinating, in practice, it would pose significant challenges and risks. The economic benefits could be enormous, but so too could the potential for market disruption, wealth inequality, and ethical concerns. Careful regulation and ethical considerations would be essential to harness such technology for the broader good.
    Machines have been trading for decades so it seems likely AI is already in the mix. I’d have to ask the missus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    Will AI displace a lot of simplistic, commodity music? yes, and soon. Dare I say, not soon enough. Most pop music is horribly uninspiring and beyond dumbed-down harmonically and rhythmically. The sooner those "artists" go back to serving burgers, the better.

But seeing a live performance by an inspiring musician is a human experience that AI will never displace. While I love a great record (and can geek out on gear with the best of them) I don't get quite the same thrill from gear or from seeing gear reproduce a performance. Right now (for a lot of money) you can buy a midified Yamaha grand piano that will reproduce precisely a performance by Elton John or Chick Corea or any number of other musicians, but that's not the same as seeing Elton play live; for me, it never will be. I am inspired not just by the beauty of a composition or a performance, but by the person who can do that. It's both inspirational (wow, that is sooo cool!) and aspirational (Gosh, if Larry can do that, maybe I can too!)

AI will probably write something memorable eventually, and I hope to appreciate that appropriately for what it is, not in a "what a human can do vs. what a machine can do" kind of way.

AI seems like it could be the perfect tool to devise some new approach to harmony that will thrill us all. It could be the next Wagner or Debussy.

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, what happens when they make an organic clone of Beethoven or EVH or Bird from some latent DNA? Would you go to see that person perform? I would. Absolutely. Jurassic Byrdland :-)

The ease of generating music via AI will in the future make the ability to play and compose on one's own without tech even more special. Most people already don't want to put in the effort that it takes to learn to play well; even fewer of them will when they can just get the computer to do it for them.

Will we make "artists" of the people who "compose" the text prompts that generate the songs? Oy.
    I don’t feel artistically threatened by AI art for the same reason. The human connection is essential for live performance and my composing has always been really for pleasure and self expression, it’s not like I expect to be as good as Bach or Ellington anyway haha. So if a chat bot can compose a great symphony or whatever, cool. Otoh I very much doubt it will be anything truly original. More like ‘here’s Beethoven’s 10th’, ‘here’s another Beatles album.’

So this would continue a trend that’s been going on since the industrial revolution, which is the automation of artisanship. William Morris was talking about this in the 19th century. And of course we have the original Luddites, who proved to be right on the money

The immediate threat to creatives comes from ‘what are you going to do for a living?’ which is the primary concern of most people now as it was in the era of the Luddites. Otoh many people also take pride in their work and commercial expertise which makes it personal.

I would prefer people (inc myself) stopped using the PR term artificial intelligence - there is no actual intelligence here - and started using the correct term which is large language models and machine learning. There’s a lot of hype, but there’s some transformational stuff here for sure.

I think ML has actually shown itself to be limited and unreliable. For example, Chat GPT code cannot really replace a human coder- it can help them but its code is not always reliable. I’ve noticed that rendering Midjourney stuff for my channel, promotion etc that l have to do most of the work including thinking of creative ideas, laying out text etc. In the end hiring a graphic designer still makes sense. Perhaps this will change.

Last edited by Christian Miller; 06-12-2024 at 04:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Machines have been trading for decades so it seems likely AI is already in the mix. I’d have to ask the missus.
    I know, but they still make a percent per year, it's not perfected to where it compounds like crazy.

User Info Menu

I must confess I enjoy calling up Suno, typing in a few prompts, and seeing what it produces. Sometimes it's horrible, sometimes it's actually cool. Sometimes SWMBO says "That's nice. Who is it?" Most of the time it's very derivative and unoriginal. I can't see myself ever wanting to listen to an album of this stuff (although I have no doubt one day I will be, without realising). I'm sure, given the choice, that most people will still gravitate towards human musicians. But that's assuming they're given the choice.

Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett View Post
    What’s interesting to me isn’t how good the AI song is, but how pathetic contemporary music is in general.
    My thoughts with less diplomatic words

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine View Post
    Wagner, maybe. Debussy was a bit too outside the beaten path in his time. We really have to hope that AI in general will continue to be written such that it cannot stray too far off those and remains inherently limited in the kind of surprises it can cook up.
    And that should mean it won't be able to compose something truly new that will move us in a different, unexpected way than the music it was trained on.

Also, bit of a hobby horse of mine: just how well does/can music theory really describe and predict our emotional response to a musical construct?

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    Best regards from an representative of and advocate for natural intelligence
    I've always preferred (and even proposed) the term natural smartness

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    I'm sure, given the choice, that most people will still gravitate towards human musicians. But that's assuming they're given the choice.
    Think again, I'm afraid:
    Top 10 AI Influencers To Check On Instagram

Something tells me the vast majority of the flocks enabling these ainfluencers do not follow them because they're curious just how realistic they can be (i.e. this doesn't bode well for our collective IQ, I'm afraid).

Here's a chilling thought: remember how number of fantasy novels posit that gods get their power from the flocks revering them?
    Last edited by RJVB; 06-12-2024 at 08:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm with the humanity. I guess one day we might have a few different models that can jam together?

The folks who professionally make commodity music (like backing for instructional videos or advertising) are in big trouble though. I know a few. They're all on the verge of retiring anyway.

We had the same discussions around MIDI and sampling keyboards in the 80's. I know this is different, but this part's the same: one entity makes all the music.

Machines make a different kind of music. Some will prefer either one over the other.