The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

I think the violin studies are by Wolfhardt. (sp)....Vol I & II...

Their is also one with chord symbols above....so one can play the chords and one can play the written notes...

good stuff...

time on the instrument..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have used the Kreutzers quite a bit, they are nice. I still prefer the violin sonatas by Bach played with a pick. I do a the cello suites and lute preludes on classical guitar with fingers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post
    @va3ux, thanks for the pdf.
    My pleasure Sir. It's kind of nice to have it right here, rather than a link to somewhere else.

User Info Menu

Not too much off the subject, but I fine the Diatonic scale exercises by Segovia an excellent warm up. All over the fretboard in major and natural minor. I developed harmonic minor scale using similar left hand fingering principles to round it out. I also try to vary the metronome speeds for each scale. Different picking patterns as well.

User Info Menu

I have this along with Hyacinth Klose book for saxophone. I play then regularly.

ALAN HANLON Kreutzer Etudes : Alan Hanlon : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Link to the Kreutzer etudes arrange by Alan Hanlon.
    Last edited by Bob65C; 05-10-2023 at 09:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    >>>>I saw a post by Vic Juris on the All About Jazz Forum recommending the Kreutzer Violin Studies as a way of improving your guitar technique. If it’s good enough for Vic Juris, I’m definitely using it. The Study seems like a pretty good resource for some guitar sight reading as well, although the primary purpose seems to be technical. It was adapted for the guitar by Allen Hanlon, and it is now out of print. Scott Abene of Guitarheads.org put the book on his website.<<<<<

Great Resource for Guitar Technique and Sight Reading | Learn Jazz Standards

Ooops, I think link FROM the above link to the download is dead. If you belong the jazz guitar group on Yahoo, this file is available there now. (That's where I got it. Oh, and it's meant to be free. Abene scanned his own copy to circulate because it is no longer in print; he studied with Alan Hanlon, who gave him those studies at his first lesson many years ago now.) It may be available elsewhere too.

You can definitely find a copy here: http://guitarheads.org/Guitarheads/bbs/download/file.php?id=1&sid=7f7576795fb55c4b8de692c238e07de2

-Scott

User Info Menu

Wow, the Kreutzer etudes, that's a blast from the past for me!
    FWIW, these are by the same guy to whom Beethoven's Sonata #9 was dedicated (and who thoroughly disliked it according to the WP article on the piece).

I raised an eyebrow when I saw the guitar adaptation is for plectrum guitar but then realised it makes sense. The original is probably full of bowing indications which presumably translate quite naturally to picking motion.

I remember 1 other book with etudes from those days: those by Jakob Dont. My teacher annotated cover of the (old) copy I'd found on the 1st day we started working on it, by putting an apostrophe between the n and the t of the poor guy's name
    (Which may really be the only reason I remember the bundle... it must have been musically quite uninspiring.)

User Info Menu

I was a student of Allen Hanlon back in the 70's and he had me use his book (I still have it). This is an excellent method to both develop your reading and your pick technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    I was a student of Allen Hanlon back in the 70's and he had me use his book (I still have it). This is an excellent method to both develop your reading and your pick technique.
    I miss that man every day of my life. He was paying it forward before it was fashionable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    In the 70's the Hanlon book along with William Leavitts Classical Studies for pick style guitar were being used by the jazz guys to develop their picking technique.Al Dimeola even recorded a Bach Bouree from Leavitt's book on his album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz View Post
    In the 70's the Hanlon book along with William Leavitts Classical Studies for pick style guitar were being used by the jazz guys to develop their picking technique.Al Dimeola even recorded a Bach Bouree from Leavitt's book on his album.
    I have the Leavitt Classical Studies book from back in the 70s when I went to Berklee. There are a number of Kreutzer pieces in there. I still play a few of the Bach arrangements and read through the Kreutzer studies for practice.