The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Yeah but, Dm G7 is just C. The F is C too, it’s the IV not a key change.

If you really digest and understand the basics, you can simplify a lot. All the arpeggios and chords in C major are C to me. The G7 or F is in the C.
    I'm with you about the F but I've been on a thread here somewhere before where a lot of folks consider it's modulated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    I'm with you about the F but I've been on a thread here somewhere before where a lot of folks consider it's modulated.
    I think a lot of folks are trying too hard.

User Info Menu

I think a lot of folks are trying too hard.
    Some might say the same of the guy playing Lydian for four measures over a swing tune.

I kid I kid I kid.

But for real, the practical difference is “do you play B or Bb” and most soloists on the classic renditions I’ve listened to either avoid that step of the scale altogether (Duke on a lot of choruses) or play Bb (Clifford, for example).

And for what it’s worth, that full ii-V to the F, even though it’s short, is a hint at what the composer expects.

i play both but im a loose cannon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Some might say the same of the guy playing Lydian for four measures over a swing tune.

I kid I kid I kid.

But for real, the practical difference is “do you play B or Bb” and most soloists on the classic renditions I’ve listened to either avoid that step of the scale altogether (Duke on a lot of choruses) or play Bb (Clifford, for example).

And for what it’s worth, that full ii-V to the F, even though it’s short, is a hint at what the composer expects.

i play both but im a loose cannon
    Modes are stupid in this context. It’s a swing tune, it’s C.

Also, is the ii V in the tune or just the realbook?

User Info Menu

AA: The reason jazz is unique is that musicians play the changes eloquently. Dicking around in the scale of the tonal center is really tacky. Using the scale of the tonal center is important to use in conjunction with the changes, for resolutions, or to fall back on, but only doing that isn't really a legitimate approach imo. Kind of an ignorant thing to postulate. If the changes are easy, that's even more reason to outline them well!
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 05-28-2024 at 07:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The Parker stuff, did you transcibe it, or did you find notation and learn it?

If the latter, I think a great next step would be to learn some stuff by ear. I've always found Paul Desmond to be very easy to hear and great for starting out transcribing.
    Why is learning by ear a good idea instead of using someone else’s transcription in your view? Is it because it teaches you stuff? I assume so, but I’m curious what you think.

User Info Menu

Modes are stupid in this context.
    I agree. Hence my amusement at that B natural over a long stretch of F major.

Also, is the ii V in the tune or just the realbook?
    Tune. Use those ears, baby.

again, I love the sharp 4, so who cares at the end of the day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehenderson1993
    I'm trying to develop my Jazz and Jazz-Blues Soloing Vocabulary by learning Heads & Solos. I wonder if you could give me some suggestions? If you were my teacher, what would you prescribe me!?

I've learned Parker playing Billie's Bounce, Now's The Time, Au Privave.

I then learned the solos on Chitlins Con Carne - Burrell; Grand Slam - Christian; Cool Blues - Green; Four on Six - Montgomery; Borgia Stick - Benson.

Can you give me any suggestions for next steps please?
    Hello! Great practical question, thanks. Based on your start, and the practical advice already offered here regarding tunes, you’re on your way.

I’d add the obvious, which is to listen. A lot. Like swimming in the music. After a while the vocabulary will become familiar and will creep into your playing in unexpected ways.

That, and playing with others, at different levels, in unpredictable, spontaneous situations. Go to jam sessions, learn the tunes that get called, and bring some of your favorites. Jazz is social music.

User Info Menu

I agree. Hence my amusement at that B natural over a long stretch of F major.

Tune. Use those ears, baby.

again, I love the sharp 4, so who cares at the end of the day.
    b5 all day baby, that’s jazz. Read George Benson’s book. He said something about flatting every 5 he came across to sound hip. (it didn’t work out).

User Info Menu

b5 all day baby, that’s jazz. Read George Benson’s book. He said something about flatting every 5 he came across to sound hip. (it didn’t work out).
    Whoooooa now a second ago we were talking about using a C major scale over everything.

Don't go getting all hip on me.

User Info Menu

Whoooooa now a second ago we were talking about using a C major scale over everything.

Don't go getting all hip on me.
    But modern debate is unethical.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    Why is learning by ear a good idea instead of using someone else’s transcription in your view? Is it because it teaches you stuff? I assume so, but I’m curious what you think.
    If the eventual goal is to be able to improvise, gotta do some close listening and train those ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by allanallen
    sounds like you'll dig lester young, herb ellis, kenny burrell and charlie christian.

Listen as much as you play so you can figure out what you like. For example, my "goal songs" list is 40 songs long right now. That's like the official i have written it down list.

So, specific tunes help because if you say you like "how high the moon" i can tell you that chet baker did that song and he's good to learn from since he plays at relaxed tempos but still has a hip vocabulary. I've found dexter gordon's versions of parker heads easier to learn by ear since there isn't a trumpet behind him confusing my ear, so maybe check out his scrapple from the apple if you take dasein's advice about learning rhythm changes heads.

Use the youtube slow down feature and learn by ear if you aren't already. The process is painfully slow at first, but you'll get better if you stick with it. Just set a 5 minute timer and suffer through it, then stop. A little effort every day adds up to progress.
    thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    Hello! Great practical question, thanks. Based on your start, and the practical advice already offered here regarding tunes, you’re on your way.

I’d add the obvious, which is to listen. A lot. Like swimming in the music. After a while the vocabulary will become familiar and will creep into your playing in unexpected ways.

That, and playing with others, at different levels, in unpredictable, spontaneous situations. Go to jam sessions, learn the tunes that get called, and bring some of your favorites. Jazz is social music.
    Thank you for this - I'm still not feeling confident enough to go to a jam, but I feel I'm very close. Learning the heads of these tunes has been a real breakthrough - in particular practicing them at a variety of tempos.

I guess I feel like I want to be able to improvise through a chorus, and my playing still just feels a bit 'clunky' like I don't have the vocabulary under my fingers (outside of the specific melodies/heads of the tunes I've learned).

I mean I guess if someone called Billie's Bounce, I could always play the head of Now's the Time as my solo hahaha!
    Last edited by jamiehenderson1993; 05-29-2024 at 04:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Bag's Groove is a good head to learn for a beginner... (and of course, there's a bunch of great solos from great musicians to transcribe here!)

User Info Menu

^ Love that tune!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehenderson1993
    Thank you for this - I'm still not feeling confident enough to go to a jam
    You gotta get over this asap. When you go to a jam, you will biff a solo, get lost, miss the B in an AABA or think the last A is the first A of the next round. It's all going to happen, accept it know and when you biff on stage let it go.

Find a jam and at least go and see what songs they are playing. That's the list you should be working on. Then you'll know their repertoire, not mine in cornfields Illinois. Also, when you go to the jam, talk to the host band, tell them you want to play but are just starting out. Be vocal "I know Billies bounce, Now's The Time and Au Privave can we play them?" Any jam that's worth playing will accommodate a new player.

More jam advice, don't call tunes you need a sheet for, if you still need to read the changes(for songs you call) you aren't ready. Get Autumn Leaves, All of Me and Blue Bossa into your repertoire too, those are typical beginner songs other players at your place will have learned too.

Also, post a clip here, nobody is going to roast you. This is a place for jazz guitarists to help each other.

User Info Menu

You gotta get over this asap. When you go to a jam, you will biff a solo, get lost, miss the B in an AABA or think the last A is the first A of the next round. It's all going to happen, accept it know and when you biff on stage let it go.

Find a jam and at least go and see what songs they are playing. That's the list you should be working on. Then you'll know their repertoire, not mine in cornfields Illinois. Also, when you go to the jam, talk to the host band, tell them you want to play but are just starting out. Be vocal "I know Billies bounce, Now's The Time and Au Privave can we play them?" Any jam that's worth playing will accommodate a new player.

More jam advice, don't call tunes you need a sheet for, if you still need to read the changes(for songs you call) you aren't ready. Get Autumn Leaves, All of Me and Blue Bossa into your repertoire too, those are typical beginner songs other players at your place will have learned too.

Also, post a clip here, nobody is going to roast you. This is a place for jazz guitarists to help each other.
    Thank you so much for this! This is exactly what I needed to hear. I'm off to the woodshed & promise I'll post some clips as soon as they're ready. Then a jam will follow very soon!

User Info Menu

Any jam that's worth playing will accommodate a new player.
    +1

Hopefully they’ll make you feel the heat a little, but most places outside the very big markets (and lots of them there too) are super welcoming. And being up front helps them make sure you’re with the right people. At the smaller spots I go, the resentment of newbies usually happens when some more experienced sax player or whatever gets up for his one tune and he’s playing with someone who doesnt quite have it together and he decides not to handle it well.

Being up front about how you’re feeling about playing lets the leader put you with a group you’ll feel comfortable playing with etc.

I have become the “singer guy” at the session I go to here, so I get put up whenever a new singer shows up. *shrugs*

User Info Menu

Learn first how to use substitute changes for a basic 12 bar blues.
    This will help you immensely! There are many tutorials on this as well.