The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

I'm trying to develop my Jazz and Jazz-Blues Soloing Vocabulary by learning Heads & Solos. I wonder if you could give me some suggestions? If you were my teacher, what would you prescribe me!?

I've learned Parker playing Billie's Bounce, Now's The Time, Au Privave.

I then learned the solos on Chitlins Con Carne - Burrell; Grand Slam - Christian; Cool Blues - Green; Four on Six - Montgomery; Borgia Stick - Benson.

Can you give me any suggestions for next steps please?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I mean —- those all sound awesome.

Other Parker blueses: Cheryl and Bloomdido are really cool.

Solos: anything Charlie Christian, anything Grant Green. Also all the Jim Hall stuff off “Jazz Guitar” is short but tricky and cool.

User Info Menu

Pull the solos and heads apart for vocabulary. There's a conversation about this in the Donna Lee study group thread.

User Info Menu

Here's a link to an almost hour long free entry level solo to A-Train you might enjoy, as it gave me a good jump start a few years ago:

A-Train Free Jazz Guitar Improv Lesson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB
    Here's a link to an almost hour long free entry level solo to A-Train you might enjoy, as it gave me a good jump start a few years ago:

A-Train Free Jazz Guitar Improv Lesson
    An hour on A Train? That seems over complicated all you need to do is mind that D7, everything else is C major.

User Info Menu

^ If it's so easy then you can outline the changes and not just play C. :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I mean —- those all sound awesome.

Other Parker blueses: Cheryl and Bloomdido are really cool.

Solos: anything Charlie Christian, anything Grant Green. Also all the Jim Hall stuff off “Jazz Guitar” is short but tricky and cool.
    Thank you so much for this - this is exactly what I'm looking for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    An hour on A Train? That seems over complicated all you need to do is mind that D7, everything else is C major.
    Wow, can you post your A-Train solo? I would like to learn your concept.

User Info Menu

Well this thread got awfully snarky awfully fast

User Info Menu

I'll give Jerry the benefit of the doubt that tone cannot be discerned in text and he's actually interested on how you can pare a tune down that much...

That said, A Train is one to just play changes on. Though, seeing most of it as C major doesn't necessarily mean just you're noodling in C major...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Timmons
    ^ If it's so easy then you can outline the changes and not just play C. :P
    Yeah but, Dm G7 is just C. The F is C too, it’s the IV not a key change.

If you really digest and understand the basics, you can simplify a lot. All the arpeggios and chords in C major are C to me. The G7 or F is in the C.

User Info Menu

Yeah but, Dm G7 is just C. The F is C too, it’s the IV not a key change.

If you really digest and understand the basics, you can simplify a lot. All the arpeggios and chords in C major are C to me. The G7 or F is in the C.
    Well you don’t want to lose the movement of the tune.

C —— D7 ——
    G7 —— C G7

User Info Menu

True Peter, I think though the changes but overall feel it can all be pulled, with discretion, from C major. Except the D7 bit.

I'm not a teacher and I'm, mostly, self educated so my system is a mess...

Now I'm interested in that video, he says no modes and no scales, but I wonder if he means it.

User Info Menu

Now I'm interested in that video, he says no modes and no scales, but I wonder if he means it.
    It all uses scales. Usually they just mean chord tones and ornamentation. And they won’t be using in Greek in the instruction.

For what it’s worth I watched sped up through the first twenty five minutes and he only really played short snatches of the solo, so not sure.

User Info Menu

Much as I'm enjoying reading this thread, we've kind of gone off piste! Can any of you, very knowledgable people, give me some pointers as to what to learn next? haha

User Info Menu

Pull the solos and heads apart for vocabulary. There's a conversation about this in the Donna Lee study group thread.
    This is also a good idea

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehenderson1993
    Much as I'm enjoying reading this thread, we've kind of gone off piste! Can any of you, very knowledgable people, give me some pointers as to what to learn next? haha
    The Parker stuff, did you transcibe it, or did you find notation and learn it?

If the latter, I think a great next step would be to learn some stuff by ear. I've always found Paul Desmond to be very easy to hear and great for starting out transcribing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    It all uses scales. Usually they just mean chord tones and ornamentation. And they won’t be using in Greek in the instruction.

For what it’s worth I watched sped up through the first twenty five minutes and he only really played short snatches of the solo, so not sure.
    I watched the first 8 minutes. It's cool, I like that he emphasizes playing the guitar and not getting hung up on theory. It's basically the opposite of what I expected. A lick by lick breakdown of a cromulent solo, when I expected "this scale over this chord." I realized I was wrong when I read no modes no scales on the page.

User Info Menu

Learn songs you like man. What do you like? Fusion, Louis Armstrong Hot Fives, late Coltrane? Give a little more info on your tastes and it'll help. Also, did you analyze the stuff or just memorize it? Read it, or get it by ear?

If you don't keep the thread on topic, we will drift.

User Info Menu

Accurate.

we are children.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The Parker stuff, did you transcibe it, or did you find notation and learn it?

If the latter, I think a great next step would be to learn some stuff by ear. I've always found Paul Desmond to be very easy to hear and great for starting out transcribing.
    Added benefit, you’ll hear some wicked guitar playing.

User Info Menu

Learn songs you like man. What do you like? Fusion, Louis Armstrong Hot Fives, late Coltrane? Give a little more info on your tastes and it'll help. Also, did you analyze the stuff or just memorize it? Read it, or get it by ear?

To be honest, I'm so early on the road, I don't really know what I like yet. I love blues stuff that I've been hearing so far and also digging some of the beboppy blues stuff I've heard.

User Info Menu

You've got a great start. Here's a few that come to mind, based on what you've already learned.

Solos:

Charlie Christian - "I Got a New Baby" and "Solo Flight"
    Wes - "No Blues" from Smokin' at the Half Note and "Sun Down" from California Dreaming
    Grant Green - pretty much anything from Grant's First Stand
    Benson - "Billie's Bounce" from Giblet Gravy

I'd also take a stab at transcribing some horn or keyboard solos. A great one to start with is Lester Young's solo on "Lady Be Good." But if you're feeling up for it, some Charlie Parker solos would be great.

Looks like you've already learned a few blues heads, so next I might try some rhythm changes: Anthropology, Moose the Mooch, Oleo, Scrapple, etc. There are a million of them out there, so take your pick. A personal favorite is Horace Silver's "Room 608"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    You've got a great start. Here's a few that come to mind, based on what you've already learned.

Solos:

Charlie Christian - "I Got a New Baby" and "Solo Flight"
    Wes - "No Blues" from Smokin' at the Half Note and "Sun Down" from California Dreaming
    Grant Green - pretty much anything from Grant's First Stand
    Benson - "Billie's Bounce" from Giblet Gravy

I'd also take a stab at transcribing some horn or keyboard solos. A great one to start with is Lester Young's solo on "Lady Be Good." But if you're feeling up for it, some Charlie Parker solos would be great.

Looks like you've already learned a few blues heads, so next I might try some rhythm changes: Anthropology, Moose the Mooch, Oleo, Scrapple, etc. There are a million of them out there, so take your pick. A personal favorite is Horace Silver's "Room 608"
    Amazing comment - thank you!

User Info Menu

To be honest, I'm so early on the road, I don't really know what I like yet. I love blues stuff that I've been hearing so far and also digging some of the beboppy blues stuff I've heard.
    Sounds like you'll dig Lester Young, Herb Ellis, Kenny Burrell and Charlie Christian.

Listen as much as you play so you can figure out what you like. For example, my "Goal songs" list is 40 songs long right now. That's like the official I have written it down list.

So, specific tunes help because if you say you like "How High The Moon" I can tell you that Chet Baker did that song and he's good to learn from since he plays at relaxed tempos but still has a hip vocabulary. I've found Dexter Gordon's versions of Parker Heads easier to learn by ear since there isn't a trumpet behind him confusing my ear, so maybe check out his Scrapple From The Apple if you take dasein's advice about learning Rhythm Changes heads.

Use the youtube slow down feature and learn by ear if you aren't already. The process is painfully slow at first, but you'll get better if you stick with it. Just set a 5 minute timer and suffer through it, then stop. A little effort every day adds up to progress.