The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax View Post
    Jazz guitar struggles against the nature of itself.
    Hmmm. I play guitar because I love the sound of the guitar. It no more struggles against the nature of itself then does the saxophone, the trumpet, the piano, the bass, or drums. It just is what it is.

Jazz guitarists seem to have an inferiority complex: we can only play six notes rather than 10 like a piano, so we can't play chords and interacting parts with the same facility. Therefore we aren't as worthy and must defer to pianists. However, the pianist can't bend a note like a guitarist. They can't crescendo a note like a horn player can. A pianist can approximate legato playing but can't really do it.

We guitarists can't sustain a note for eight bars, so we can't play lines as fluently as a horn. As we hammer on and pull off, the note loses energy, unlike a horns legato lines that can maintain or increase the energy as the line progresses. Therefore we are aren't as worthy in jazz and must defer to horn players. On the other hand, the saxophone can't play a chord. They can't play double stops. Miles Davis famously called the guitar "a bitch to play."

To my ears, I never heard any indication of Joe Pass or Jim Hall or Ed Bickert or Kenny Burrell or Ben Monder struggling with the nature of the guitar. The guitar no more struggles with itself then does piano or a horn.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like OPs tone. But I'm not jazz guitarist myself.
    The trouble with treble is that the more trebly, the more control you need in the fingers. Those micronuances..
    But the time feel is the key to get it work right overall. Having so much trouble with that myself atm. Good luck.

User Info Menu

I learned to play the violin as a child. When I was older, I wanted to play an instrument that could play harmony.

I now play guitar instead of piano, because a guitar is easier to carry around.

User Info Menu

First off.. your tone is great and you're making some good progress. Actually sounds like a guitar. And quite good for an electric guitar.

As for the advice you're likely to get in this forum, bear in mind that many players here, even good ones, wind down the treble until the guitar sounds like mud. Then they play (mostly) constant eighth notes using the Barry Harris version of a BeBop scale. If you think this may be the path for you, try some Pat Martino and see how it resonates with your idea of where you would like to go.

On the other hand.. there's Pat Metheny (try 'Missouri Sky' with Charlie Haden). And Ralph Towner. And Wolfgang Mulfspiel. And, of course, many others.

So.. yea.. your stuff sounded a bit stiff. Not because of the tone.. it's just a little stiff. But the more you play it, the more it will loosen up. You might consider backing tracks like iRealB to explore more improvisation. And, you may be surprised to see where your playing goes as you gear up to jam with others.

And don't take anything you hear too seriously. You will know what sounds right to you sooner or later. Whether that's Joe Pass chord melody with a nice jazz lilt to it, or Michael Hedges with some ringing jazz chords added in, you'll figure it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    Your tone is great.
    Let's not get carried away. :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Hmmm. I play guitar because I love the sound of the guitar. It no more struggles against the nature of itself then does the saxophone, the trumpet, the piano, the bass, or drums. It just is what it is.
    Jazz guitarists seem to have an inferiority complex: we can only play six notes rather than 10 like a piano...
    Pianist who play 10 notes at a time bug me

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    We guitarists can't sustain a note for eight bars...
    Play the note and press the head stock of your guitar to the top of the box where your speaker is mounted

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    Pianist who play 10 notes at a time bug me
    Some actually bum me...

Or they make me laugh:

User Info Menu

I think it sounds quite nice.

Quite honestly, if you're an amateur and you stay away from jazz nazis, you could probably do all right with your style.

One thing I think you will find is if you do arrangements, and later on when playing with people, you have to play the single note melody, it will be difficult. That's because your mind and muscle memory are just used to playing the chord melody.

At least, it was that way for me. So I would go back and do those tunes with just the melody. It will help you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jobabrinks View Post

Quite honestly, if you're an amateur and you stay away from jazz nazis, u
    LOL there's some truth there