The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus View Post
    My experience with a Calton case was super positive. I flew from Europe to Japan and return, checking in an ES 175 type luthiery-archtop inside a Calton case and the guitar was in perfect condition when I nervously opened the case upon arrival. The case was a little scratched and bruised, here and there, other than that no problem at all.

Only thing: that case was super heavy (even empty!) so carrying it for long stretches was bothersome (for a tiny guy like me). That guitar I've sold years ago. Now my GB10 size archtop has a Hiscox case which apparently is supposed to be even more protective (and is much lighter) than the Calton. I still haven't taken it on a flight... my concern now is eventual damage to the case because, apparently, the case gives in to shock absorption while perfectly protecting the guitar inside. And I've heard stories about Hiscox cases that saved guitars but were damaged to a point where they could no longer be used (or repaired). I'd prefer not to have to buy a new Hiscox case after each flight! Has any of you had any flight-experience with a (checked in) guitar inside a Hiscox case?
    My Hiscox case has been through a lot. The first boo-boo it had was that outside shell got about a 12" crack in it. I was kind of upset about it but someone I was on tour with set me straight. He said "Look, the case did its job well. It took the damage instead of your guitar". I then began to see cases kind of like any other thing that just needs to be replaced every now and then when it wears out. Like picks, strings, frets, pots etc.

Anyway, I tried to find out if I could repair that first crack but got no reply from the company. I suppose I could have tried any number of glue concepts to try to heal it over but I wound up just patching it up with Gorilla Tape. Many, many tours later I am still using the same case. Every time it gets a little crack or a giant shark bite I just bust out the trusty Gorilla Tape or duct tape and go at it. Something about the surface of the Hiscox case makes it so that stickers and many kinds of tape will not adhere to it very well. So I just have to re-do old tape jobs every now and then because the tape can become a bit loose over time.

At some point I'll have a sense that the case should be replaced but it still seems as fundamentally solid as ever. I highly recommend them to anyone. I just wish they were a bit easier to obtain in the US since I understand that they no longer have a distributer here.

Flying with guitar-img_2624-jpgFlying with guitar-img_2623-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not really surprising that a case manufacturer isn't too forthcoming with repair tips for damage that they probably consider lethal. If you care enough about the contents of the cage you should probably treat it like a motorcycle helmet: replace after an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by gggguitar View Post
    Something about the surface of the Hiscox case makes it so that stickers and many kinds of tape will not adhere to it very well. So I just have to re-do old tape jobs every now and then because the tape can become a bit loose over time.
    Looks like it has a kind of corrugated surface that diminishes the contact area sticky tape can have with it?

As a teenager I used to help out a Spanish beacher (?) my family had befriended, and watched him repair his pedalos and other "plastic" fun gear that was exposed to a lot of abuse and probably fragilised by the combination of sun/UV and salt water. He'd apply a layer of clear epoxy or something similar, than work fibreglass mats into the goo, and some more, add another mat in a different orientation, let it dry and go at it some more. I now apply that same technique on a much small scale to repair seriously split nails but it should work for hard cases too. It'll have the big advantage over any kind of strong sticky tape that it won't melt off in the heat leaving residue that must be very hard to get off.

As an alternative to fibre mats you could use a single thin sheet of aluminum. I used 4 to turn a BAM 2-violin case I used to have into something just a bit heavier but more protective against puncture damage.

User Info Menu

Thanks @gggguitar for the good info and photos.

Thanks @RJVB for the repairing tips.

User Info Menu

Wouldn't the cost of an 11 hour drive be comparable to an extra plane ticket for the guitar? The only reliable method these days unfortunately. These tickets are exempt from some taxes and are usually cheaper.

User Info Menu

I just returned from Japan (aka guitar shopping heaven) with a new archtop that had to be gate checked. The United employee at the baggage check-in counter shrink-wrapped the case with about 20 layers and assured me the hold stays well above freezing. The plane, a new 787, had pretty small overheads and no way that big instrument would have fit. Fortunately this was a direct flight for me so the guitar did not have to endure numerous transfers.

User Info Menu

As others have pointed out there is no guaranteed way to protect your instrument aside from buying a seat, which I have done before when I brought my Super 400 to Beijing where I live.

Years back when I used to tour with John Jorgenson's Quintet we were on the road at least once a month and I always had my guitar in a Calton case and have NEVER had any issue. So if you're willing to shell out the $$, a Calton is an excellent choice. I have been bringing guitars back and forth on international flights for years and so far have never had any issues with damage when I'm using a Calton.

Short of a Calton case or buying a seat, you unfortunately never know who you will encounter at check-in so it really comes down to luck if the airline staff is willing to accommodate you or not. Most of the time it will be ok, but we all know now and then disaster can happen.

If I am bringing my guitar, it will be in a Calton, I try to carry it on but if I can't, I'll gate check, and lastly I try to only fly direct when I have a guitar to minimize the amount of handling it will endure.

User Info Menu

Ciari Guitars Pro-Play Folding Guitar

My new Ciari (P90 Solo) arrived last week. Best engineered guitar I've ever had. Now working on getting good amplified tone out of it with super-compact rig

RJ VB:
    "If you care enough about the contents of the cage you should probably treat it like a motorcycle helmet: replace after an accident."
    Donnd:
    "I just returned from Japan (aka guitar shopping heaven) with a new archtop that had to be gate checked. The United employee at the baggage check-in counter shrink-wrapped the case with about 20 layers and assured me the hold stays well above freezing. The plane, a new 787, had pretty small overheads and no way that big instrument would have fit. Fortunately this was a direct flight for me so the guitar did not have to endure numerous transfers."
    THESE OBSERVATIONS ARE REALLY PRACTICAL
    Traveling with your irreplaceable instrument has to be as impenetrably packaged as if you were shipping it!