The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Ditto Nelson Faria. He has a really good tutorial on playing bossa nova, choro and samba and understanding how those rhythms work. I played a fairly decent gringo bossa nova prior to that but it's definitely better since.[...]
    Do you mean the one I posted almost exactly one year ago?

+1.5h Brazilian Guitar masterclass by Nelson Faria

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These might be of interest as well:

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Llewlyn;1343777]Thanks again guys.

@caue amaral: thank you for posting your video! I like the sound that you get in Agua de Beber: can you tell me more about your setup?

The comment that was made about the slightly lowered volume and the acoustic sound of the instrument is true...bossa is acoustic and dynamic sound...beyond the rhythm of course. In the video I posted, I didn't reach this ideal of capturing the acoustic sound... it's a mic directly into the amp, a BluesJr style valve and a solid top archtop, with p94 and 012 strings with the 013 top... closed tone by 50%.
    Nelson used in the past his old signature from the Brazilian brand Condor, made in Korea, with Labella 012 flat strings... now he has switched to the Tagima brand, using a generic guitar, made in China... his signature model has just been ready, made in Asia and completed in Brazil. His amp is an AER, but he often uses other amps that are available locally. Here is your new guitar:

Login • Instagram

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    Do you mean the one I posted almost exactly one year ago?

+1.5h Brazilian Guitar masterclass by Nelson Faria
    This is a terrific video. Thanks for posting.

Nelson Faria is also the author of Brazilian Guitar Styles, which I rate as the best single book on guitar. You can learn to play authentic Brazilian styles from that book. The video covers some of the same material.

He's also a great player. I recommend listening to the band "Tres". Here's my favorite track:

And yes, that's 3 musicians and no tricks. There is a video done by the bassist which explains how he gets all that sound. Nico Assumpcao, who passed too soon.

User Info Menu

Let's face it, the only real Bossa sound is on nylon strings. However, many pro players play bossa on their jazz guitars, usually archtops.

It's probably more a question of what not to do - i.e. not clangy, sharp, trebly, echoey, etc. You want a nice mellow sound. In fact, there may not be much difference between that and a usual jazz tone.

See here:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sear...archid=2804762

User Info Menu

I think you may be right, although this is the part that becomes tricky. If one wants "not clangy, sharp, trebly, echoey etc", then I would take out the acoustic sound out of the picture and go for a very electronic flatwound dark archtop to

Your link is broken BTW

Ll.

User Info Menu

Your link is broken BTW
    Yes, mine too now. I forgot links within the forum only have a short life.

Very simple, go to the search box at the top of the page and put in 'jazz tone'. You'll get a whole host of threads on how to get the right sound out of various guitar types.

User Info Menu

samba rather than bossa but, another vote for nelson faria.

his solo is at about 3:00
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 06-24-2024 at 08:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos View Post
    samba rather than bossa but, another vote for nelson faria.

his solo is at about 3:00
    I still do not get why people keep posting clips of guitar solos for someone who asked how to get a good sound accompanying a singer on a steel string ...

Quote Originally Posted by Llewlyn View Post
    I am trying to get a decent bossanova tone with my steel string electric guitars. My arsenal includes: archtop, telecaster, and flattop. Any recommendation on how can I get a decent tone? And players to listen to?

Right now I am using the archtop 17'' which is strung with round wound nickel. I turn the tone and treble knob halfway down, so that the that the rhythm becomes less strident, while the bass notes give the tempo (it's just me and one singer).

Any advice please please please

Ll.