The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

This one I have to thank Deacon Mark for checking out while he was getting another one of the same model.

This one is different in a few ways. It has a Kent Armstrong pickup with Schatten volume and tone wheels. I can't tell if it was built in the factory that way or if the original owner had a second pickguard from Heritage for theses mods. I'll be able to tell when I get it today.

Heritage Johnny Smith incoming-hjs-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It sounded very similar to the one I bought possibly a bit more pure cutting output. Heritage made sure Smith's were done well and carved correctly. They were about the acoustic element of these guitars that Gibson forgot about. Suffice to say if anyone gets a chance for a Heritage Johnny Smith at a fair price, jump on that puppy a deal.

Case in point, Big Mike also has a Benedetto Johnny Smith blond in the batch of guitars for sale. I believe the price is around $7900. I spent time at Mike's back in December playing the Guild Johnny Smith vs the Heritage Johnny Smiths. No comparison the Heritage JS's far exceeded the Guild Benny version. Way more opening and responsive acoustically. Frankly I think the QC on was better too along with the 25 inch scale vs Guild JS of 25.6. It was a no brainer comparison sorry Benedetto fans.

You heard it here first that is my story and I sticking to the facts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    It sounded very similar to the one I bought possibly a bit more pure cutting output. Heritage made sure Smith's were done well and carved correctly. They were about the acoustic element of these guitars that Gibson forgot about. Suffice to say if anyone gets a chance for a Heritage Johnny Smith at a fair price, jump on that puppy a deal.

Case in point, Big Mike also has a Benedetto Johnny Smith blond in the batch of guitars for sale. I believe the price is around $7900. I spent time at Mike's back in December playing the Guild Johnny Smith vs the Heritage Johnny Smiths. No comparison the Heritage JS's far exceeded the Guild Benny version. Way more opening and responsive acoustically. Frankly I think the QC on was better too along with the 25 inch scale vs Guild JS of 25.6. It was a no brainer comparison sorry Benedetto fans.

You heard it here first that is my story and I sticking to the facts.
    DM I value your opinion and your vast real world knowledge, however these forums can become a matter for historic record and it is in that spirit, I feel like I should add a counter experience to yours.

I have both guitars, the Guild Benny JSA and the Hertiage JS and it is my humble opinion, that the Guild Benny Johnny Smith Award, is likely the finest made ‘mass produced’ archtop I've ever come across, with a quite astonishing acoustic tone, far exceeding that of the Heritage.
    Now of course if you have an 18” Heritage JS, it's not a fair comparison; both mine are 17”

Heritage's quality control is notoriously bad, my JS is a perfect example of that.

The Heritage is a lovely guitar with a fantastic bop tone. The Guild Benny JSA is a work of art. There is almost no comparison. I do however prefer the tone of the Heritage because I’m not that in to ‘acoustic’ archtops.
    So all's well that ends well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    DM I value your opinion and your vast real world knowledge, however these forums can become a matter for historic record and it is in that spirit, I feel like I should add a counter experience to yours.

I have both guitars, the Guild Benny JSA and the Hertiage JS and it is my humble opinion, that the Guild Benny Johnny Smith Award, is likely the finest made ‘mass produced’ archtop I've ever come across, with a quite astonishing acoustic tone, far exceeding that of the Heritage.
    Now of course if you have an 18” Heritage JS, it's not a fair comparison; both mine are 17”

Heritage's quality control is notoriously bad, my JS is a perfect example of that.

The Heritage is a lovely guitar with a fantastic bop tone. The Guild Benny JSA is a work of art. There is almost no comparison. I do however prefer the tone of the Heritage because I’m not that in to ‘acoustic’ archtops.
    Yes, this could be very true. I do know one or two other forum members who had issues with Guild JS guitars in particular the finish was heavy and suffocating the guitar's ability to respond.

Another valuable point is guitars need to be looked at on the micro level each individually. At given time the diced are tossed and a crapper can show up. Case o norlin Gibsons that are less thought of yet some I have played rival the best ever.

User Info Menu

I owned two of the Westerly made Guild Benedetto Artist Awards and after trying to like them (for too long), I let them both go. One was "very good" acoustically, the other was "fair" acoustically. I found the 25 5/8 scale and the deep D profile neck "difficult". I also disliked the Benedetto pickup. That said, they were both high quality guitars, just not my cup of tea.

The one Heritage Johnny Smith that I played sounded great amplified, but was poor acoustically.

Every Gibson Johnny Smith that I have played sounded great amplified, but not that great acoustically. And their quality was all over the place.

The Westerly made (non Benedetto) Guild artist Awards that I have played have been all over the place quality wise, but the 71 Artist Award that I owned (and foolishly sold to a fellow forum member) was an outstanding guitar in every way.

The Heritage D'Angelico New Yorker that I own is an outstanding guitar in every way and won't be for sale again until after my demise. I have heard that some of those replicas were not that great.

It seems that every guitar needs to be judged on it's individual merits. That is what my experience informs me.

@Deacon Mark: Glad you got a special Heritage JS

@Archie: Glad you love your Guild Benedetto JSA

User Info Menu

"Heritage's quality control is notoriously bad,"
    Sorry Archie, but thats complete BS! After the management change and letting go of their original and best people (same thing at gibson) they did have some QC issues. The Heritage archtops made pre '13-'18 compare well to anything from anybody and are notoriously fantastic underpriced archtops preferred by many over the comparable models from the other vaunted makers. Preference is personal, remarks like yours are notoriously irresponsible and obviously not well informed and dont help your credibility as a potential maker.

User Info Menu

Experience varies. I owned a GBJSA. It was built well, but the finish was extremely thick. Patrick also had the same experience. Electrically both sounded wonderful. I took the finish off the GBJSA. My luthier, who was a master, never saw that thickness of lacquer. He resprayed it with a thin amount of clear. It was much better acoustically. That instrument is in the Big Mike collection for sale.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this. Good thing I checked the Forum; I was just about to smash my Cremona!!

Benedetto Fan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    I owned two of the Westerly made Guild Benedetto Artist Awards and after trying to like them (for too long), I let them both go. One was "very good" acoustically, the other was "fair" acoustically. I found the 25 5/8 scale and the deep D profile neck "difficult". I also disliked the Benedetto pickup. That said, they were both high quality guitars, just not my cup of tea.

The one Heritage Johnny Smith that I played sounded great amplified, but was poor acoustically.

Every Gibson Johnny Smith that I have played sounded great amplified, but not that great acoustically. And their quality was all over the place.

The Westerly made (non Benedetto) Guild artist Awards that I have played have been all over the place quality wise, but the 71 Artist Award that I owned (and foolishly sold to a fellow forum member) was an outstanding guitar in every way.

The Heritage D'Angelico New Yorker that I own is an outstanding guitar in every way and won't be for sale again until after my demise. I have heard that some of those replicas were not that great.

It seems that every guitar needs to be judged on it's individual merits. That is what my experience informs me.

@Deacon Mark: Glad you got a special Heritage JS

@Archie: Glad you love your Guild Benedetto JSA
    I think that's a bloody fair post.

In truth, I too am not over the moon about the neck on the GBJSA; it's too big for me. I much prefer the neck on the Heritage JS, it's actually very similar to the neck on my Guild Johnny Smith Award.
    The Guild BJSA is an outlier, an odd ball and there are things such as the scale length that I do not really care for. I also find its acoustic tone too strong as I prefer a more amplified tone.
    What I do enjoy about it is the weight (it's super light), I enjoy the fine construction details, like the matching offset contour under the neck extension, the paint finish (colour wise) and the sheer beauty of the arched plates.
    The only other archtop I have with a recurve is my Campellone Deluxe.
    These guitars are how fine archtops should be built. Full recurve, carved into the cutaway etc.. There is almost no mass produced archtop that does this. In fact none I can think of and in this way, it stands on its own as a testament to mass production and what you can achieve if you really go for it!
    Bob put a lot of his top end carving techniques into this model and I appreciate it for that.

Plus if I didn't have a GBJSA, I wouldn't be able to do this!

Heritage Johnny Smith incoming-screenshot-2024-06-22-221506-png
    Last edited by Archie; 06-22-2024 at 05:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco View Post
    "Heritage's quality control is notoriously bad,"
    Sorry Archie, but thats complete BS! After the management change and letting go of their original and best people (same thing at gibson) they did have some QC issues. The Heritage archtops made pre '13-'18 compare well to anything from anybody and are notoriously fantastic underpriced archtops preferred by many over the comparable models from the other vaunted makers. Preference is personal, remarks like yours are notoriously irresponsible and obviously not well informed and dont help your credibility as a potential maker.
    Ok ok, loose lips etc.. Allow me to make a mends.
    Heritage QC has gone though phases of being notoriously bad! Those days may be behind us

Of course they are capable of producing stunning guitars. Many of which are owned by fellow forum members.

User Info Menu

I think that's a bloody fair post.

In truth, I too am not over the moon about the neck on the GBJSA; it's too big for me. I much prefer the neck on the Heritage JS, it's actually very similar to the neck on my Guild Johnny Smith Award.
    The Guild BJSA is an outlier, an odd ball and there are things such as the scale length that I do not really care for. I also find its acoustic tone too strong as I prefer a more amplified tone.
    What I do enjoy about it is the weight (it's super light), I enjoy the fine construction details, like the matching offset contour under the neck extension, the paint finish (colour wise) and the sheer beauty of the arched plates.
    The only other archtop I have with a recurve is my Campellone Deluxe.
    These guitars are how fine archtops should be built. Full recurve, carved into the cutaway etc.. There is almost no mass produced archtop that does this. In fact none I can think of and in this way, it stands on its own as a testament to mass production and what you can achieve if you really go for it!
    Bob put a lot of his top end carving techniques into this model and I appreciate it for that.

Plus if I didn't have a GBJSA, I wouldn't be able to do this!

Heritage Johnny Smith incoming-screenshot-2024-06-22-221506-png

I'm a big fan of Guild AAs. The Benedetto builds were great guitars too. I'm not sure why the finish was so thick, but the rest of it was wonderful. A mirror exam showed perfect workmanship too.

Everyone is different. I have a certain neck feel that seems just right. But I adjusted to large necks within a few hours, too. The fattest one was a late 1920s L-5. But even that felt like home when it was my only guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    'Bout sums it up.

User Info Menu

Arrived in good shape.

It's a late 1991, so it is an early one. The Kent Armstrong pickup is hotter than the standard Heritage Floating #3. It's light at 5# 8 oz.

It's a keeper. It plays easily and has a rich acoustic tone for flat wound 12s. Nothing not to like.

The quilted maple is gorgeous.

Heritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808044902_c7b0d198c1_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808045097_0be49d1b3d_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808045082_c8dc046d32_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808044937_c295d78e62_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808044932_f16cec8412_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53809411685_42705abb42_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808044577_7ecaa65d03_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53809214238_bac5ca1428_c-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    Arrived in good shape.

It's a late 1991, so it is an early one. The Kent Armstrong pickup is hotter than the standard Heritage Floating #3. It's light at 5# 8 oz.

It's a keeper. It plays easily and has a rich acoustic tone for flat wound 12s. Nothing not to like.

The quilted maple is gorgeous.

Heritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808044902_c7b0d198c1_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808045097_0be49d1b3d_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808045082_c8dc046d32_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808044937_c295d78e62_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808044932_f16cec8412_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53809411685_42705abb42_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53808044577_7ecaa65d03_c-jpgHeritage Johnny Smith incoming-53809214238_bac5ca1428_c-jpg
    Marty I bet it sounds fantastic. Binding looks good too!

They were brave using that back piece!

User Info Menu

The backpiece has character but is solid. JP Moats, Marv Lamb or Aaron Cowles did the plate carving. They've done thousands at that point.