The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 58

User Info Menu

I tried a bunch of different 8” high powered speakers in my Quilter Aviator 1x8” closed back Combo.
    I came back to the Celestion TF818 as the beat sounding option!

There aren’t a lot of 8” speakers that can handle 100 watts unfortunately. And none I can find made for guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Small woofers handle high power. I use an Eminence Beta 8" with my Elf amp head. Sweet tone, 200W capacity.

This is from one Japaneese site. H&K Spirit Vintage + Vox BC108. Gosh such a cool stuff. It gives me GAS. <3 And if I put that Celestion in that box ... Around 400$ for all 3 items.

Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-coolminisetup-png

User Info Menu

Close enough for rock’n’roll, good enough for jazz (although I’m a bit of a tube amp snob, but my 5F1 has a 10”…..)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    I have a Quilter micropro 200 8-in, it's light, sounds good, and is loud.
    That amp is awesome. See my pic in #7 above. Everything from clean dark jazz to screaming metal.

User Info Menu

I have a Vox Clubman 60. The combination of weight, size and sound are the best I've ever experienced. It's 10.14 lbs (plus an external laptop style power adapter). It has an 8" coaxial speaker, a light weight plastic cabinet, and is loud enough for small and/or quiet gigs with no problem. I believe the US price is $300.

Here's a link to all the details.
    VOX Clubman 60 - Vox Amps

User Info Menu

Jim I know you play with a very clean tone. But I believe the Co Axial Speaker tends to get very bright, and not sound the best when presented with any overdriven tone? Hopefully I’m wrong about this!

This Vox does look really cool, and it's available in my local music shop, so for sure I will check out that one really soon. And it's reasonable price. <3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57 View Post
    Jim I know you play with a very clean tone. But I believe the Co Axial Speaker tends to get very bright, and not sound the best when presented with any overdriven tone? Hopefully I’m wrong about this!
    There is a second channel which, I believe, defeats the tweeter and has different tone controls. They aren't switchable though. It's done with separate inputs.

@ Enlightened Rogue - Is Little Jazz for jazz only, or I can play other genres thru it? I mean, is clean preamp channel only jazz focused , or is it move versatile ? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Here's mine: Quilter 101R head on homemade cabinet with 4 ohm, 8" Eminence Alpha 'A'. Works pretty well for me.
    Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-mr-watts-jpg

User Info Menu

5F1 DIY clone
    Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-img_0291-jpg
    Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-img_0287-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-img_0291-jpg Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-img_0287-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    There is a second channel which, I believe, defeats the tweeter and has different tone controls. They aren't switchable though. It's done with separate inputs.
    Depending on the design, I don't think most attached coax tweeters can be defeated, I could be wrong. But it is a cool little amp. I'm probably one of the few folks here who uses chorus once in a while. Here's the schem., on p.4.

https://voxamps.com/wp-content/uploa..._OM_EFGSJ2.pdf
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-25-2024 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june View Post
    5F1 DIY clone
    Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-img_0291-jpg
    Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-img_0287-jpg
    That's quite an assemblage .... Yon Figeac 1996, Ormes De Pez 1997, but maybe the Mouton Cadet won't fit the league ;-)

User Info Menu

I don't have a picture at hand, but I like my DV Mark Little Jazz. There are no legal barriers to playing other genres of music through it, at least that I'm aware of. For even smaller, lighter, and easier to carry, I also like my Quilter Soundblock/Toob Metro combo. I think I may like the sound a little better also, but that can change depending on my ears on any given day.

User Info Menu

Why not to use Your time of recovering to some woodwork?

Some years ago I decided to have a test, how small combo I can make with a Quilter Tone Block 202, very versatile and powerful amp head. The result was this 10”x10”x10” pine combo. 7 kg and 200W. Speaker is an Eminence Beta 8A, instant jazz speaker. Loud enough for club gigs with a drummer without a PA.

Amp was acquired used, speaker was new and the wood, tolex, grill cloth etc cost something under 100€.

Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-2ca41223-b4a1-4b63-8062-c476ee0c4edd-jpegCan you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-07b23520-29a1-49bb-8e86-d57f8952b22d-jpeg

User Info Menu

My JazzKat has an 8" speaker. Very solid and not very light weight though it does have a handy dandy hidden pullout side handle.

Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-img_3947-jpg

User Info Menu

Blackstar HT1 - 1 watt tube, 8” speaker. This combo was designed to break up easily but it can produce a sweet clean sound at lower volume. Particularly useful is the emulator out to an audio interface - makes very good, warm and open direct recordings.

User Info Menu

Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-pavilion-4-jpg

Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-vovo2-jpg

Probably not what you have in mind but the Rich-built Raezer's Edge NY8 I had twenty years ago was the best-sounding 8" I've ever heard. I drove it with an Acoustic Image Clarus head.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 06-26-2024 at 01:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    I have a Vox Clubman 60. The combination of weight, size and sound are the best I've ever experienced. It's 10.14 lbs (plus an external laptop style power adapter). It has an 8" coaxial speaker, a light weight plastic cabinet, and is loud enough for small and/or quiet gigs with no problem. I believe the US price is $300.

Here's a link to all the details.
    VOX Clubman 60 - Vox Amps
    I've been lurking for a while and I hope you don't mind me dropping in to comment on this amp.

Unfortunately, I didn't realise it existed when looking for a small amp and I bought the VX50 GTV instead. This appears to be very similar, is sufficient for small pub jams, and also has a variety of effects and amp emulations built in. I've been very satisfied with the "boutique clean" setting; from online demos I've seen I suspect it's quite similar to the Clubman in tone. I don't need most of the various rock and metal distortion sounds the VX50 also provides.

Perhaps a line out would be more useful than the VX50's USB interface, but if I really need more volume or a line out I could use my TC Electronics BAM200 and bass cab (I usually play double bass) instead. Perhaps the USB plug might be useful for anyone wanting to record, though.

User Info Menu

Vox also have these
    with 8” speakers
    and a pre-amp 12ax7 tube

Vox VT20X Valvetronix Combo Amp

haven’t tried em
    ————————
    I have tried the Fender Champion
    20 and 40 combos
    and can vouch for them
    they’re good amps

User Info Menu

Nothing against the Fender Champ reissue…it’s a great amp but this is better…I have owned both and may rebuy the Victoria 518

Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-img_0043-jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    I assume this is reissue and rebrand of Vox AD VT series. Bunch of people around me started on Vox AD VT series , and I have heard bunch of times higher end of models in that series, but never 1x8" combos of AD VT series.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes View Post
    Nothing against the Fender Champ reissue…it’s a great amp but this is better…I have owned both and may rebuy the Victoria 518

Can you show me your 1x8&quot; guitar amp?-img_0043-jpeg
    Nice!

How is it better than Champ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScarTissue View Post
    Not available in my country, I would need to blind buy it without trying .... But I am going to try DV Mark Little Jazz soon. I found DV Mark Little Jazz in one shop. I would need to take a trip to that town ... I could also use info on this one - fan and no fan. Cause I've read that people complain about fan noise and stuff. I'm also more open to that H&K Spirit Vintage idea, so that's why I ask for speakers.

I also did saw one person from here using Vox BC108 cabinet + I think Quilter 101 Reverb head. Any idea who that person is and what speaker is in that Vox BC108?
    I have the DV Mark and I love it. Very light but surprisingly strong sound, never hear any fan noise