The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 78 of 78

User Info Menu

Thanks, Ukena! I'm glad you like the Metro 8GP. Yours is only the third sample out, so feedback is really valuable at this point. I need to add a comment, though. While you suggest there's no major difference in volume, the whole idea of the 8" Metro is to eke out more volume out of a SuperBlock (or any other amp) while retaining utter portability. The Jensen Falcon 8 has a sensitivity of 96 dB, while the Jensen C6V and SICA 6L 1.5SL used on Metro 6.5GP, GP+ and BG models are rated at a tad over 91 dB. Now remember the 3 dB rule: for every 3 dB gain you have to double the power, so a 5 dB difference is significant.

I don't have an echoless chamber or lab-grade measuring equipment. My "method" is pretty crude but life-like: hitting the open E chord repeatedly as hard as I can and watching the readings from a noise meter placed exactly one meter from the speaker. With the SuperBlocks, I use the following settings: Volume 3 o'clock, reverb 0, all eq knobs at noon, limiter 0, Gain 11. Voicing: 57 Tweed for SBUS, Vox AC Normal for SBUK.

While the absolute truth may be a few dB off either way, my readings confirm the difference: the Metro 6.5GP maxes out at 106 dB, the Metro 8GP at 111 dB with the SBUS. The SBUK did one dB more - well within the margin of error - but its tones are more hirsute across the board.

The 3 dB rule doesn't mean a doubling of perceived loudness from twice the amp power or a 3 dB more sensitive speaker. For that, you need 10 dB or so extra. A 5 dB gain is discernible, though.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 09-17-2024 at 09:37 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I spent some time comparing my 6.5Gp with the new 8GP today. I put them on the kitchen floor so as not to have the sound absorbed by a carpet, but rather bouncing around a small live room.

I kept the SBUS settings the same, and just kept switching the speaker cables.

I definitely found the 8GP to be louder, with more bass, which is to be expected. It isn't a huge difference, as Markku's measurements suggest, but he is right that it is discernible, easily. I also found that it was slightly more trebly than the sound I like with the 6.5, but that was easily taken care of by dialing down the highs.

There is also a difference in the character of the sound, but it's not something I can describe. Perhaps it's that the 6.5 is a tiny bit more mellow? Regardless, I like the sound of both of these speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    Is Eminence 820 worth ~ 110$ , or Celestion TF0818 for 65$ is still okey deal? Is price difference worth it in case for Eminence? Thanks for info and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway View Post
    I have a Vox Clubman 60. The combination of weight, size and sound are the best I've ever experienced. It's 10.14 lbs (plus an external laptop style power adapter). It has an 8" coaxial speaker, a light weight plastic cabinet, and is loud enough for small and/or quiet gigs with no problem. I believe the US price is $300.

Here's a link to all the details.
    VOX Clubman 60 - Vox Amps
    This Vox is for sale in my local shop, they want 400$ for it. For sure I am going to check it out. But just a question: what is " nu-tube " ? Does it need to be replacable like regular tube or .... ? Can someone educate me on nu-tube stuff ? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marklin678 View Post
    This is my Marshall DSL1CR 1x8" 1-watt Tube Combo.
    How do you even get jazz tone out of that Marshall ? The thing is : I am also curious about Marshall MG series, especially smaller combos ... Not sure how to get jazz sound out of them .... So yeah, how do you even get that sound out of Marshall? Preamp pedal in front or?

On-Topic:

I didn't want to bump another few years old topic, so I will just ask here.

In my local shop they want 200$ for Joyo Fender amp model (the blue hybrid one) + Joyo cab with Celestion 8 15. I think 200$ is pretty good price for both.

Unfortunatelly I don't have reviews from best sources, so I will just ask here. What are your thoughts on that Joyo amp stuff? For sure I'm going to try it .... But infos in terms of like, do you like it if you played it, would be usefull .... Thanks.