The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

Grew up playing Fenders but ultimately realized that I don't need the extra versatility since I typically don't play rock.

Under $3k with neck and bridge pickups.

I've been eyeing the Heritage Eagle Classic in blonde but haven't seen it in my price range yet (maybe never will lol).

I don't expect anything to be a complete match.

I'd also take a guitar that's basically a higher end boutique version of a Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor.

Any suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have a look at the Ibanez archtops. Consistently high quality and value for money irrespective of price point. The Super 58 PU has caused a lot of confusion over the years, but all those I've used have been great.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Look at used Guild X-170 Manhattans - made in USA, comfortable size. For larger size, there is also the X-700.

User Info Menu

My best recommendations for mid-priced archtops are Heritage (particularly the '90s-early 2000s. An H575 is typically more affordable than an Eagle) and, as mentioned above, older USA Guilds. There's even "golden era" 50s Guild stuff that still comes in under $3k.

There's an Epiphone Elitist Broadway on Reverb right now for $2999. I have no first hand experience, but those are highly regarded by many.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post

Any suggestions?

Have a look at: Guitars 'n Jazz — 400 Archtops in stock – choose don't settle

User Info Menu

A good ES-175 copy but slightly different is a Greco FA model. Really nice to play, should be able to get one under $1,500 and definitely a step up from the Korean stuff.
    Or if you can find an Ibanez Artist FA. Kinda rare but worth seeking out.

Tokai also do a 175 Japanese range. Should be able to get one for under $2k but you might lose some money on the resale.

Seventy Seven guitars are great. They do a 175 copy that you should be able to source for under $2K. Just make sure it's a Japanese model. They have outsourced a lot of building to china or Indonesia.
    FGN look interesting but never played one.
    Aria D’Aquisto etc..

Basically anything that comes out of Japan, all of it is mostly made in Terada anyway so quality is all the same pretty much, although huge difference between ’sold in Japan’ and ‘made in Japan’.

Westerly Guilds are great. Any of the X- series are pretty much all really good. Some of the 80’s ones have internal sound posts so can be heavier and sound a little less lively. You should be able to get a nice x-175 maybe x-500.

Whatever you find, just show us and we can help advise.

User Info Menu

+1 on a Greco if you can play it first.

I'm a lefty, so guitars are few and far between. But, in looking for a les Paul, I tried 6 Gibsons, and about that many Greco. The Greco's were absolutely on par with the Gibsons, and one, was off the charts good. Impossibly low action with no buzz, probably the best intonation I've heard on a guitar, and it sounded way better than the standard I tried side by side. I knew I had to have it. I don't care what it says on the headstock. It slayed every Gibson LP I've played, and I honestly don't think you can get a "better" Les Paul. It (and other "the one's") was just a matter of all the stars lined up the day they were built.

So... Yeah... Greco's are excellent guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
    +1 on a Greco if you can play it first.

I'm a lefty, so guitars are few and far between. But, in looking for a les Paul, I tried 6 Gibsons, and about that many Greco. The Greco's were absolutely on par with the Gibsons, and one, was off the charts good. Impossibly low action with no buzz, probably the best intonation I've heard on a guitar, and it sounded way better than the standard I tried side by side. I knew I had to have it. I don't care what it says on the headstock. It slayed every Gibson LP I've played, and I honestly don't think you can get a "better" Les Paul. It (and other "the one's") was just a matter of all the stars lined up the day they were built.

So... Yeah... Greco's are excellent guitars.
    I bough a Greco GoII once for amusement and it was peanuts. Took it to Andertons and compared it to several custom shop Fend’s and some American St’s and it out strat’d all of them, relatively conformably. Non of the played as effortlessly and really had that glassy, dynamic clean tone, I was looking for. I thin one of the standards was bang on.
    If you can get past the looks, the Greco GoII is a phenomenal sounding strat. I don't know what those pickups are but they're great.

User Info Menu

I think you can also go a LOT less expensive than a 175 and get a really nice guitar. I've had an Ibanez AF95-DA for about 6 weeks now and I keep getting more and more impressed by what a great guitar it is. They sell brand new in the US for $649 (plus the cost of a case).

User Info Menu

I have an Epiphone Broadway and even though I also have the L5ces, the ES175, and some high-end Japanese copies, I really enjoy playing the Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    A good ES-175 copy but slightly different is a Greco FA model. Really nice to play, should be able to get one under $1,500 and definitely a step up from the Korean stuff.
    Or if you can find an Ibanez Artist FA. Kinda rare but worth seeking out.

Tokai also do a 175 Japanese range. Should be able to get one for under $2k but you might lose some money on the resale.

Seventy Seven guitars are great. They do a 175 copy that you should be able to source for under $2K. Just make sure it's a Japanese model. They have outsourced a lot of building to china or Indonesia.
    FGN look interesting but never played one.
    Aria D’Aquisto etc..

Basically anything that comes out of Japan, all of it is mostly made in Terada anyway so quality is all the same pretty much, although huge difference between ’sold in Japan’ and ‘made in Japan’.

Westerly Guilds are great. Any of the X- series are pretty much all really good. Some of the 80’s ones have internal sound posts so can be heavier and sound a little less lively. You should be able to get a nice x-175 maybe x-500.

Whatever you find, just show us and we can help advise.

what should I look out for with old Japanese 'copies'? I've seen some Greco 175s that I could get for $1200-2000. They look in good shape but what should I ask the people selling them (they have good feedback and all that)?

User Info Menu

Guild Savoy X-150 is a great guitar that would easily qualify. Have a listen and a look ...

More affordable alternatives to the Gibson L-5 and ES-175?-burst5_zps5e85a58c-jpg

User Info Menu

Eastman T49

User Info Menu

what should I look out for with old Japanese 'copies'? I've seen some Greco 175s that I could get for $1200-2000. They look in good shape but what should I ask the people selling them (they have good feedback and all that)?
    Many have badly deteriorated binding, though not all.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Many have badly deteriorated binding, though not all.

Is this something that's pretty obvious when I take a glance or are there ways it's hidden?

User Info Menu

Is this something that's pretty obvious when I take a glance or are there ways it's hidden?
    As long as there are clear pics of the binding all around the guitar you'll be able to spot it.
    Typically not worth repairing on Japanese guitars as the cost to do the work frequently exceeds the value of the guitar.

Here's an old thread from the forum discussing it....

Binding issue on Aria Herb Ellis

Thank you for the responses so far. The original post is my first post here and you all have provided some wonderful suggestions. I still have a bit of research and testing to do to figure out what I'll end up with. I am truly grateful for enthusiast forums.

User Info Menu

I'd go with Ibanez. They have jazz guitars in every price range, great value. I see lots of younger players with them. Almost nothing left handed though

User Info Menu

In no particular order, prices range from mid 600s to mid 3000s:

Ibanez AF line
    Ibanez AG line
    Comins GCS-16-1 and GCS-16-2
    d'Angelico Excel and Deluxe lines - EXL, 59 and hollow SS models
    Heritage H-575 and Eagle
    Eastman, many models
    Peerless, many models

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill View Post
    In no particular order, prices range from mid 600s to mid 3000s:

Ibanez AF line
    Ibanez AG line
    Comins GCS-16-1 and GCS-16-2
    d'Angelico Excel and Deluxe lines - EXL, 59 and hollow SS models
    Heritage H-575 and Eagle
    Eastman, many models
    Peerless, many models

Vintage blonde GCS-16-2 looks so nice. I'll hopefully be able to find somewhere I can try most of these this weekend (I'm in a large city).

User Info Menu

One way to narrow down the choices is the scale length. ES-175 is 24.75", L 5 is 25.5". For me this is irrelevant, but many others are adamant about one or the other.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    One way to narrow down the choices is the scale length. ES-175 is 24.75", L 5 is 25.5". For me this is irrelevant, but many others are adamant about one or the other.
    Another choice is that the 175 has a smaller body size, the 175 is 16 inch and deemed more comfortable to many players.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug View Post
    I'd prefer something 25.5" BUT I'd be very happy with a great 24.75" guitar such as an ES-175. I mean eventually I'll have some form of an ES-175 AND some form of an L5 lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter View Post
    I'd go with Ibanez. They have jazz guitars in every price range, great value. I see lots of younger players with them. Almost nothing left handed though
    The AF95 is an excellent guitar and a true bargain. My friend and bandmate (the one whose Li’l Dawg Choco Prince I posted about a few days ago) has one that he loves for jump blues. It’s made very well, looks and feels great, has a very nice amplified jazz tone, and is surprisingly feedback resistant.

I don’t see anything in tremolo’s posts about being left handed. Did I miss it or are you the lefty, Alter?