The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm interested in hearing what people who have played a Seventy Seven Albatross (MIJ, not "Japan Tuned) have to say about what it's like, especially in comparison to a traditional semi-hollow. For context, I have a Seventy Seven archtop already, so I know and like the brand, especially the neck and the overall craftsmanship). I'm contemplating cashing in the semi I have for something a little smaller and with a neck that more closely matches my other Seventy Seven and my LP (which has a '50s profile neck).

I recently played an ES-339 with roughly that neck profile and a really liked it (but did not like the $3500 price tag). Does an Albatross come close to the sound and feel of a 339 or 335 (or similar), or are they more like, say, a double-cut LP. Also, how is the balance? Do they neck dive? It's Impossible to find one in a shop to try.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had an early (made in Japan) Seventy Seven Albatross. Since you own a Seventy Seven, you already know about the flawless workmanship and playability of these guitars. I particularly liked the pickups on this model, a warm full sound but not at all muddy. I've owned three Seventy Sevens and they all had the same full neck.

I would describe the sound and feel as being more like a semi-hollow than like a Les Paul. I found the guitar to be versatile and used it for jazz, R&B and rock gigs. The guitar is small and sits on the lap much like a Les Paul only much lighter.

My albatross did not neck dive, but I am very sensitive to having guitars that hang properly on a strap. I guess you could say it was slightly neck-heavy, nothing extreme. So I put a few lead fishing weights in the body cavity to balance things and it hung fine.

I thought it was a great guitar with a wonderful tone. I only sold it because I prefer thinner necks.Here's a picture of mine, plus one of a Koa Hawk that I had, just because it's so pretty...
    Thoughts on Seventy Seven Albatross?-img_0301-jpg
    Thoughts on Seventy Seven Albatross?-img_0014-jpeg
    Last edited by Gilpy; 09-16-2024 at 01:43 PM.

User Info Menu

A variant on the Albatross was the Albatross SC Jazz, but very few of those were made. I got mine from a member here. No neck heaviness. Wonderful guitar. Vastly superior to any ES-339. The sound is much more like a Gibson ES-446 / 336 / 339 / 335 than a solid-body Les Paul of any sort.

Attached Images Attached Images Thoughts on Seventy Seven Albatross?-seventy-seven-jpg 

User Info Menu

Mine felt great and played great, but I hated the pickups, which were not original. They are very nearly les Paul sized though.

User Info Menu

Buy it, while it’s still affordable. I’m a 77 fan!

Thoughts on Seventy Seven Albatross?-img_1365-jpeg