The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Hi, I would like to get the warmest old style sound possible from my Yamaha SA2200 + DV Mark Jazz 12. Could you suggest me the best pickup settings near the fingerboard? Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's subjective. All I can suggest is to spend some time experimenting, and move the pickup up and down, both evenly and with one end higher than the other, and see what sounds best to you. On some guitars having the treble end sounds better, on some the bass end higher is better, and on many a level pickup is best. Also experiment with having the polepieces, if any, higher or lower as the pickup is raised or lowered. I have no set preference, because different guitars have different sounds, and the string choice can also influence my preference. In general, having the pickup closer to the strings gives a more electric sound, and further away more acoustic, but it's somewhat subtle. Experiment.

User Info Menu

If my idea of "warm old style" is similar to what you mean by it, move the pickup as far away from the strings as possible before it becomes too muddy and loses the dynamics. The closer the pickup is to the strings the more "electric" it sounds. And vice versa.

Just in case, for me the warm sound is a combination of the pickup to string distance (3-5mm), string gauge (.012+), heavy nylon pick, pick angle, good tube amp, speaker.

User Info Menu

Yep, farther away vintages it out a bit, closer makes it sound more hi-fi.

There is also fine tuning each side of the pup, bass and treble.

And then pole piece height and contour. High makes it cut more, low makes it smoother. I like a subtle low arc for jazz because it sounds smooth. I would use just flat for rock because it's snappy..

User Info Menu

Thanks for your answers, I will do some tests

I'm also curious to know if with a Seth Lover on the neck the tone sound will be more to my liking!? I've heard and read so many positive opinions about Seth Lover. Do you have any opinions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
    I'm also curious to know if with a Seth Lover on the neck the tone sound will be more to my liking!? I've heard and read so many positive opinions about Seth Lover. Do you have any opinions?
    I really think it's a great pickup, especially if you're upgrading from a stock pickup not designed for a warm jazz sound. I've also come to like the Antiquities by Duncan.
    Again, once you have it in, experiment. Technique, string choice, pick choice, guitar tone settings, amp, amp settings, amp position and even cables will have an effect. It's funny but I've heard people say they like old cheap cables because low oxygen low noise cables sound "too clear" for their technique.
    So have fun experimenting!

User Info Menu

Before investing money in new pickups, take some time to change things, as Jimmy blue note said. Change the volumes on the amp and guitar. I like the amp turned up higher than I intend to play and the guitar volume rolled back. Others like the guitar volume full up, or close. It's easily changed, so try different settings. Same for the tone control, and all the controls on the amp. Different cables can sound different, and especially wireless rigs can give a different sound, usually more treble. If you're using a Fender amp, or another with a Fender-style tone stack, flat is with the bass and treble knobs all the way off. Start there, and increase them slowly, one at a time, and see what you prefer. Whatever the amp, play with the tone controls and volume and see what you prefer. There is such a huge area for adjustment that it can take a long time to find your ideal settings, especially when you combine adjustments to pickup and polepiece heights. I prefer to try free fixes before throwing money at a problem, but sometimes money is required. No one can say for sure except for you.

User Info Menu

I've just recently got my first hollowbody, and I set the neck pickup for 4/64ths on the treble side, and 6/64ths on the bass side. Gibson specs, and seems to work well. On the solid bodys the neck pickup would be 8/64 and 6/64 (bass/treble sides). Or lower. But on the hollow body I don't need to balance it with the bridge pickup, and it seems to sound a little better closer to the strings.

User Info Menu

Funny, I just had this very conversation with Kent Armstrong yesterday. He was adamant that pole pieces should be lowered never raised. He said raise the pickup to the overall level your after and adjust louder poles down. I was compensating for loud b & e by raising the pole on the low E and a touch on A. After talking with Kent I leveled the poles with the top of the pu raised it till I was happy with the low strings and lowered the b & e to match...presto. I suppose I should have known this but better late than never. I did this on another guitar with same great result but I did raise the low E pole a smidge (dont tell Kent)

User Info Menu

The Seth is on the chirpier side, but it is nice and vintage. Works better with roundwounds. It's not a fat and syrupy pup. Depends what you're going for. Think PG tone.

User Info Menu

Just curious Bobby, for a "syrupy" not muddy - not fat neck p/up for say, a 335, do you have anything in mind? I played my friend's '63 today and man, the early Gibsons have a TONE! His has an early Pat # p/up.

User Info Menu

Neck humbucker , TI jazz swings 13

on my two jazz boxes I've ended up with the bass side of the pickup
    maybe 5-8 mm lower than the treble end , for a good overall string balance
    Then I do a few minor tweaks of the individual polepieces et Voila

It changes with different amps a bit so I take a couple
    if small screwdrivers out with me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack View Post
    Just curious Bobby, for a "syrupy" not muddy - not fat neck p/up for say, a 335, do you have anything in mind? I played my friend's '63 today and man, the early Gibsons have a TONE! His has an early Pat # p/up.
    Then maybe get a pup like that! I don't have experience with Gibson pups, I was an SD fanboi. So what I can recommend that I know that's syrupy but not fat and sloppy is the SD A2P. Has tight bass but still a nice chewiness to it.

Also if you have a pup you like, you can try A3 because it's chewy and warm but still a bit tight and snappy without too much bass.
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; Yesterday at 08:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Just my two cents; your humbucker height will depend on a few things, what magnets are on the humbucker, what kind of tone are you looking for, (on the neck) how hard do you pick? etc.... Humbuckers with Alnico II or III can be closer to the strings than those with Alnico V magnets. I usually do this by ear, and almost always end up at 3 or 4/32" from the strings, while pressing the last fret, on the neck pickup, and about 5/16" on the bridge. This is with Gibson Classic 57' pickups on my ES335. Tone is subjective to the ear of the musician, so what works for me, might not work or sound the same to you.

Cheers,
    Arnie...

User Info Menu

I didn't like the Seths that much in my semi hollow. Usable, but a little harsh in the highs for blues stuff. I like the 57 classics better. I would rather have a 490 set than the Seths again as well. And I'd take either Gibson neck over the SD 59n too. 50's wiring is a must IMO.

User Info Menu

Would be nice if you could try plugging your guitar into a nice tube combo like a Princeton Reverb or a Tweed. That would probably have much bigger effect on the overall sound than the difference between various makes of low-medium output humbuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    Would be nice if you could try plugging your guitar into a nice tube combo like a Princeton Reverb or a Tweed. That would probably have much bigger effect on the overall sound than the difference between various makes of low-medium output humbuckers.
    Hi, I have the DV Mark Jazz 12, it has a very warm sound! Do you think it would be better with tubes?

User Info Menu

Hi, I have the DV Mark Jazz 12, it has a very warm sound! Do you think it would be better with tubes?
    Better is subjective here. Jazz 12 is a good amp. SS and tube sound and feel differently. Both have been used to create legendary jazz guitar tones. For me the amp choice is a bit more important than dialing in pickups.