The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 83 of 83

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    Ha - a very entertaining discussion : ) In "proper" Italian, the correct pronunciation of my last name is Cahm-pehl-LO-neh, with accent on the 3rd syllable. However, in many dialects of southern Italy (where my family is from) it's very common to drop the last vowel, so the pronunciation Cahm-pehl-LONE (as in 'Lone' Ranger) is OK, too.

And if we want to get really technical, another important (though subtle) aspect of pronunciation is the double consonant, like the "LL" in Campellone. I wasn't aware how important this is til I'd spent time in Italy. In Italian, each letter of a double consonant pair is pronounced, and the meaning of a word can change, depending on whether or not you pronounce it correctly. For example, the word pollo (pronounced POL-lo) means chicken - and the word polo (pronounced PO-lo) means pole, as in North Pole. There are very few words in English that have pronounced double consonants (one example is "bookkeeper") - sound-wise, the effect is like the difference between the word "alienation", and the title of the old sci-fi TV series "Alien Nation" - if you pay attention to the way you say the two, you'll realize there is a subtle difference in pronunciation - in the latter, you kinda hang on the "N" a little longer.
    In general, with a few exceptions (like the pronunciation of gl and gn) Italian pronunciation is pretty straightforward - if you see it, you say it : )
    I guess that's the reason I call you Mark. No need for formal last names

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    We’re luckier than most guitarists realize. Top quality bows are $50k. Raguse has been making bows for about 50 years. They’re probably L-5 level quality and desirability, and they cost as much!

Attachment 115723

I wonder. If someone posts an NBD (New Bow Day) on a cello forum about their new Douglas Ragusa or Argus T9, do they have to scroll through troll posts about dummy’s paying more than $50 for a bow on Amazon because ‘tone is in the fingers’?

User Info Menu

Nothing “beats” an L5. If you really want an L5, everything else will be a compromise. Wait and save your money. And if you want an L5, accept no substitutes, because there are none.
    However, there’s a Tal Farlow in the for sale section that will also make you feel like you can’t get anything any better. Just different.
    And that L4ces in the for sale section is keeping me up nights.
    But if it’s an L5 you crave, save yourself money in the long run. Just get one. You’ll be done shopping for guitars. Well, kind of. You will still buy. But you will buy extra L5’s..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    But if it’s an L5 you crave, save yourself money in the long run. Just get one. You’ll be done shopping for guitars. Well, kind of. You will still buy. But you will buy extra L5’s..
    Joe D
    ROFLMAO!

User Info Menu

Yes everyone needs extra L-5’s.

What beats an L5?-img_1272-jpgWhat beats an L5?-img_0222-jpgWhat beats an L5?-img_0196-jpgWhat beats an L5?-img_0532-jpg

User Info Menu

I’m gonna catch some lead for saying this but I have a D’Angelico EXL-1 that was made in Korea. Everything is stock except for the nut that was swapped out with the two refrets it went through. I’ve had for over a decade and lived in died with it until I left my country to come to the EU 3 years ago. My friend has a Wes Montgomery L5 that was made after 2000 I think. I’d take my D’Angelico any day over his L5 personally. It has a floating pickup and a wood bridge which gets a clearer and woodier sound. One of my old teacher has an L5 from the 70s. That guitar is magnificent, it’s the only one I’ve played that I like more than my D’Angelico. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess…

User Info Menu

There is really nothing to argue when it’s got to be a Gibson guitar- if the name on the headstock isn’t the main concern then the choice of fine/great/wonderful 17“ acoustic archtops on the used market is plentiful. Check out the Andersen „Streamline“ I‘m selling! ?
    There is hardly a better sounding and playing guitar out there, even if they cost twice as much….

User Info Menu

that black wesmo is giving me the vapors