The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Has anyone played a "newer" 335 of late, say 2021-2023 or similar? The figured / blocks somehow feel cheap, not a lot of depth. Maybe this is not new news. I used to enjoy playing them for blues, some jazz. What might be a "beefier" 335 alternative with some depth, volume and output, a 355? Vintage anything? Thank you for any insight, as always.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

not much you can do about inlay, but have you messed with pickup height?

i got a 2019 335 that's exactly what you describe (dots tho)...there's a pro on the dr z forum that's got a 2019 335 too, we've chatted about em, and both bought em over the pricier historic versions. mightve just been a good lil run for em, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer096 View Post
    not much you can do about inlay, but have you messed with pickup height?

i got a 2019 335 that's exactly what you describe (dots tho)...there's a pro on the dr z forum that's got a 2019 335 too, we've chatted about em, and both bought em over the pricier historic versions. mightve just been a good lil run for em, but who knows.
    Right. What I meant, in part, was that these just feel cheap overall, dot or figured (pricier), with a tone that doesn't inspire. I've never played a vintage 335 and wonder how they would compare. Maybe this is already a Gibson Forum thread. Really, I think the the problem is with me, not the guitar itself! Taste and preferences vary, and the 335 style just doesn't have the same sway of late, for me.
    Last edited by tomvwash; Today at 01:21 PM.

User Info Menu

A 355 is just a 335 with more bling. From what I’ve heard and seen the various re-issue models (59, 64) are very toneful instruments, the Collings I35 and Soco models also get rave reviews, not only from players who prefer overdriven tones. My own ES-345 ( a 1963 model) sounds great plugged into my ToneKing Falcon Grande, fat and deep and perfectly suited for any jazzer.