The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Could use an amp cover for a '66 Twin Reverb. My '67 Twin has what I believe is a non padded Tuki I've had so long I can't remember where I got it, though there's no markings.
    Older padded Tuki's have a bad reputation for using foam that disintegrates over time leaving a mess, not sure if they ever fixed that.

I think I know what's out there, Studio Slips, D2F. I'd like a cover w no company name and prefer a non padded cordura like my old one that I can fold or roll up, no vinyl please. Any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Le Cover, check them out for variations. Padded or not, I like them and have had 5 or 6 covers from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Mack View Post
    Le Cover, check them out for variations. Padded or not, I like them and have had 5 or 6 covers from them.
    Thanks Jimmy, I have a padded one that came w an old Princeton Reverb w their logo on the front in big letters. Checking their website I believe they now offer a no padding/no logo option. I'll check w them.

User Info Menu

If you are okay with “fender” on the cover there is an inexpensive alternative available on Amazon for $25 that works very well.

Fender 65 Twin Reverb Amplfier Cover, Black https://a.co/d/493P6aY

User Info Menu

I've been getting my bags and covers from StudioSlips since Susan started the business. They'll make you anything you want, which I assume means leaving off their logo (although I've never asked them to do that). Their stuff lasts forever - I still have and use bags I got from her in the early '90s, and none has ever needed repair or even a stitch resewn.

When I sold off my "surplus" amps, I kept the bags and covers to use as general gear bags and dust covers. Once the amp for which they were made leaves home, they're not treated as gently carrying cables, spares, accessories etc as they were when protecting an amp. But everything from the basic material to handles and linings has held up amazingly well. The amps also survived in great shape. But I always get the standard padding because I think it's more protective against dings and Tolex damage.

I think they get about $100 now for a basic Twin cover without pockets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Could use an amp cover for a '66 Twin Reverb. My '67 Twin has what I believe is a non padded Tuki I've had so long I can't remember where I got it, though there's no markings.
    Older padded Tuki's have a bad reputation for using foam that disintegrates over time leaving a mess, not sure if they ever fixed that.

I think I know what's out there, Studio Slips, D2F. I'd like a cover w no company name and prefer a non padded cordura like my old one that I can fold or roll up, no vinyl please. Any ideas?
    I've made a couple out of duct tape -- one for a Fender Champion 20 and the other for a Quilter Aviator Cub. They came out surprisingly well -- a bit stiffer than cloth, but still foldable and are very sturdy. Of course you'd have to be nuts to make an amp cover out of duct tape, but I've got that, um, covered.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    I've been getting my bags and covers from StudioSlips since Susan started the business. They'll make you anything you want, which I assume means leaving off their logo (although I've never asked them to do that). Their stuff lasts forever - I still have and use bags I got from her in the early '90s, and none has ever needed repair or even a stitch resewn.

When I sold off my "surplus" amps, I kept the bags and covers to use as general gear bags and dust covers. Once the amp for which they were made leaves home, they're not treated as gently carrying cables, spares, accessories etc as they were when protecting an amp. But everything from the basic material to handles and linings has held up amazingly well. The amps also survived in great shape. But I always get the standard padding because I think it's more protective against dings and Tolex damage.

I think they get about $100 now for a basic Twin cover without pockets.
    Thanks nshsi, as posted I'm aware of them and I've heard only positive comments.
    Their website is very detailed unlike Lecover which could use some work.
    A standard Studio Slips Twin Reverb cover w a $5 strap on the bottom comes to $162 shipped, the highest I've seen. Tuki's are around $110 shipped but unless they've fixed the foam degradation issue the price doesn't matter.
    I'm super careful and don't knock my equipment around so really don't need thick rigid foam padding. The old cover on my other Twin isn't just thin cordura but nylon w a quilted inner layer, it's almost semi-padded and lays flat and can be folded/rolled- an important feature for me as I can just stash it behind the amp on gigs. Covers w rigid foam are a bit bulky, not really what I'm looking for.
    As to logos, I just prefer none on guitar cases or amp covers, I think Tuki is the only amp cover company that doesn't make you advertise their product, their logo is a free option.

I'll need to research a bit more, it's been 20 yrs since I purchased a cover.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    I've made a couple out of duct tape -- one for a Fender Champion 20 and the other for a Quilter Aviator Cub. They came out surprisingly well -- a bit stiffer than cloth, but still foldable and are very sturdy. Of course you'd have to be nuts to make an amp cover out of duct tape, but I've got that, um, covered.
    Would love to see a pic of that ^^

Just ordered one from Custom Amp Covers only because they came up first in a google search and half the price of a Tuki. We shall see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes View Post
    Would love to see a pic of that ^^

Just ordered one from Custom Amp Covers only because they came up first in a google search and half the price of a Tuki. We shall see.
    Covering the Quilter:
    Amp Covers-img_1118-jpeg

Folded flat:
    Amp Covers-img_1117-jpeg

I made the one for the Champion 20 first, maybe 7 or 8 years ago. At the time it didn’t come with a cover and the only ones I could find that fit cost almost as much as the amp, so decided to try making one out of duct tape. I’ve taken it out on literally hundred of gigs and jams, and it’s still in OK shape. When I got the Quilter a year-ish ago (used, no case), iacta alea est.

TBH, a real cover is probably better, but nothing beats duct tape as a conversation piece/goof.

User Info Menu

A standard Studio Slips Twin Reverb cover w a $5 strap on the bottom comes to $162 shipped, the highest I've seen.
    Wow - I obviously haven't bought one from them in a while. My Twin (formerly Jazzkritter's) came to me with a very nice d2f cover. But they went out of business 6 or 7 years ago after a death in the ownership family. I have no experience with any of the current sources except for Custom Amp Covers. They had a custom cover for a Henriksen Blu 6 that was made for someone who then decided he didn't want it. They offered it to me for 1/2 price, so I took. Their website says that a Twin cover in 30 oz something (they don't say whether it's vinyl or canvas) is $65.95 and $100 in "vintage canvas".

My Blu cover is a very heavy but soft and pliable black vinyl, which wouldn't have been my first choice. But it's well made and hasn't a mark on it after about a year of gigging. The company is owned and operated by Glen Wodnicki in Michigan, and I'm sure they'll be happy to talk to you about making what you want if you give them a call. I still prefer the SS material, but their prices have obviously risen so much that I won't live long enough to benefit from 30+ years of service. So I may switch sources if I need more bags or cover.

Wow - I obviously haven't bought one from them in a while. My Twin (formerly Jazzkritter's) came to me with a very nice d2f cover. But they went out of business 6 or 7 years ago after a death in the ownership family. I have no experience with any of the current sources except for Custom Amp Covers. They had a custom cover for a Henriksen Blu 6 that was made for someone who then decided he didn't want it. They offered it to me for 1/2 price, so I took. Their website says that a Twin cover in 30 oz something (they don't say whether it's vinyl or canvas) is $65.95 and $100 in "vintage canvas".

My Blu cover is a very heavy but soft and pliable black vinyl, which wouldn't have been my first choice. But it's well made and hasn't a mark on it after about a year of gigging. The company is owned and operated by Glen Wodnicki in Michigan, and I'm sure they'll be happy to talk to you about making what you want if you give them a call. I still prefer the SS material, but their prices have obviously risen so much that I won't live long enough to benefit from 30+ years of service. So I may switch sources if I need more bags or cover.
    Custom Amp Covers is the parent company of Tuki. I wouldn't want vinyl, a quilted lined non padded cordura type would be ideal but I'm not seeing that option anywhere, most are padded foam.
    After checking around it appears Tuki was sold 10 yrs ago and the new owners have sourced new materials imcluding a new grey foam so I'll probably go w them. Makes sense for them as the old covers w deteriorating black foam damaged their otherwise great reputation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes View Post
    Sorry I didn’t see this before the post I just put up. As you’ll read in it, I got a simple black cover from Custom Amp Covers last year because the order for it was changed to a different style after it was made. I did get it as a closeout for almost no money - but it’s well made, great value, and worth list price. Whoever I talked to there was knowledgeable, helpful, and accommodating.

After seeing how high prices are now for my supplier of 30 years, I will get my covers from them in the future.

There's also this company though I know nothing about them.

https://rigg.us/product/fender-twin-reverb-amp-cover/

User Info Menu

Custom Amp Covers is the parent company of Tuki. I wouldn't want vinyl, a quilted lined non padded cordura type would be ideal but I'm not seeing that option anywhere, most are padded foam.
    After checking around it appears Tuki was sold 10 yrs ago and the new owners have sourced new materials imcluding a new grey foam so I'll probably go w them. Makes sense for them as the old covers w deteriorating black foam damaged their otherwise great reputation.
    The CAC I got is totally different from any Tuki i ever saw. It’s one layer, unlined, unadorned, and simple as an unwound string. The “vintage canvas” option looks like it would please you, but I do not see an option for a quilted lining on their website. If they still operate like they did last year, a call might yield a pleasant surprise.

[edit] I just looked at Tuki’s site - it’s the same phone #. So the honeymoon may be over. I hate it when a great little business turns into another soulless, faceless vendor. Still, it’s worth a phone call. Maybe Glen is still there…

and maybe he’s out partying with Randall Smith

The CAC I got is totally different from any Tuki i ever saw. It’s one layer, unlined, unadorned, and simple as an unwound string. The “vintage canvas” option looks like it would please you, but I do not see an option for a quilted lining on their website. If they still operate like they did last year, a call might yield a pleasant surprise.

[edit] I just looked at Tuki’s site - it’s the same phone #. So the honeymoon may be over. I hate it when a great little business turns into another soulless, faceless vendor. Still, it’s worth a phone call. Maybe Glen is still there…

and maybe he’s out partying with Randall Smith
    The CAC is a little too bare bones, sounds like it's just a dust cover. My understanding is Glen is still @ Tuki.

Covering the Quilter:
    Amp Covers-img_1118-jpeg

Folded flat:
    Amp Covers-img_1117-jpeg

I made the one for the Champion 20 first, maybe 7 or 8 years ago. At the time it didn’t come with a cover and the only ones I could find that fit cost almost as much as the amp, so decided to try making one out of duct tape. I’ve taken it out on literally hundred of gigs and jams, and it’s still in OK shape. When I got the Quilter a year-ish ago (used, no case), iacta alea est.

TBH, a real cover is probably better, but nothing beats duct tape as a conversation piece/goof.
    That puppy looks like my air conditioner cover

User Info Menu

That puppy looks like my air conditioner cover
    It might even BE your air conditioner cover. Have you looked for it recently?

It might even BE your air conditioner cover. Have you looked for it recently?

Yeah and it's starting to rip.
    And I bet no one ever tried stealing your amp w that on it.
    A $5 roll of duct tape....hmm.....

User Info Menu

It's time to branch out into a line of clothing, John...

Amp Covers-tape-trenchcoat-jpg