The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

User Info Menu

There are plenty of famous telecaster straight-ahead jazz players (not fusion, jazz-rock etc... but more traditional jazz, bebop style, hard-bob etc):

Telecaster jazz players

I cannot think of any famous 335 straight-head jazz player... what could this mean?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGreen View Post
    There are plenty of famous telecaster straight-ahead jazz players (not fusion, jazz-rock etc... but more traditional jazz, bebop style, hard-bob etc):

Telecaster jazz players

I cannot think of any famous 335 straight-head jazz player... what could this mean?
    Dave Stryker?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGreen View Post

Telecaster jazz players

Depending on your definition of famous and straightahead …

Pete McCann
    Adam Rogers
    Dave Stryker
    Bob DeVos
    Steve Cardenas
    John Hart

…to name a few

In my neck of the woods (NYC), semi-hollows are very common.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A. View Post
    Depending on your definition of famous and straightahead …

Pete McCann
    Adam Rogers
    Dave Stryker
    Bob DeVos
    Steve Cardenas
    John Hart

…to name a few

In my neck of the woods (NYC), semi-hollows are very common.
    Last couple of times I saw Jack Wilkins he was playing a Comins GCS-1, which is a semihollow, akin to a 335. Yotam Silberstein plays one. Vinicius Gomes plays a 335 or similar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone View Post
    Statutorily required interruption: "growing up in a musical house" and "played a banjo" is a contradiction in terms [ducks].

Had to comment on this...I liked the comment.

In fact, growing up in a musical household probably arrests development--in a sense, you probably don't grow up, but remain a kid at heart, with all that music going on. Especially in my case. My parents made a deal: for each song of "theirs" I learned, they would learn one of "mine." So, my parents knew Stones, Animals, Beatles, Ry Cooder, etc. Meanwhile, I knew how to play 20s, 30s, and 40s standards. Came in handy, later on.

(snip)
    I love this story. Mine is similar but different.

In my household music was everywhere. My mother was a very gifted classical piano player who opted to be a house wife. She would open up a Rachmaninoff piano concerto, sight read through it, make a mistake on the 6th page, say "damn" and shut the piano for six months. I however practiced it diligently!

In my house my folks were always playing great jazz records: Basie, Mulligan, Brubeck, but they had a special place in their hearts for big band and especially Ellington. So all of that, in addition to great vocalists (they loved Tony Bennet) and of course classical were always in my ear.

Fast forward to the arrival of rock, and of course I was a goner and switched to guitar.

So no swapping of tunes, but a wonderful sharing of tunes, and the piano was a great foundation for theory and later, composing.

Oh, and yes, there was a banjo and old Maybelle and Gibson guitars hanging around, plus a piano, and my favorite- a Hammond organ!

Very thankful for those days, and fun to reminisce. Oh, love Telecasters and 335's, looking for a thin line, but mostly into archies now! A '60 ES345 was my main gigging guitar for many years though, so gotta go with the thin line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aleksandar View Post
    Hm...Abercrombie is one of my favorite guitar players, if not the favorite, and I've seen him playing telecaster style guitar and LP style guitars (and some other crazy guitars), but I've never seen him playing a 335.

Is a tele style guitar a tele?