The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

A trio of additional pic’s.
    Attached Images Attached Images New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-b769c74c-5eb0-40f6-8846-d69f7cbbc120-jpeg New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-img_0960-jpeg New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-img_0959-jpeg 
    Last edited by AKA; 06-12-2024 at 06:07 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been a sucker for one-piece tops with a nice asymmetry to them ever since I got a violin with one of those almost exactly 30 years ago. Beautiful!
    (It's even rarer on instruments the size of guitars, but at least with a guitar you get to show it off while playing )

User Info Menu

Nice bug! What's the red stuff? (i've heaped enough praise on the rest of this already :)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    Nice bug! What's the red stuff? (i've heaped enough praise on the rest of this already
    It’s Kirinite, an acrylic material. When I commissioned the instrument I explained to Wilkie that it would be a tribute to the memory of my daughter (Lauren) who passed away at age 24 from complications related to Sickle Cell anemia. My wife and I were devastated. In fact my wife suffered a heart attack on the 1-year anniversary of her death. A year later my wife called me to the patio to note a striking red dragonfly hovering about her. She extended her arm and it landed there and remained for several minutes. In fact, each year around Mother’s Day this scene has repeated.

We found that among several cultures there is quite a bit of folklore associated with red dragonflys. A fairly common mythology is that the appearance of a red dragonfly is a visitor from the spirit realm bringing assurance that a deceased loved one is faring well and wishes you to be happy. My wife has taken extraordinary comfort in this and looks forward each year for a visit from the red dragonfly.

I requested that Wilkie create a “red dragonfly” headstock inlay. After investigating a number of options he proposed using red kirinite, along with abalone and MOP, to create the inlay.

AKA

User Info Menu

What a lovely Tribute. I love the Dragonfly. I have a Japanese katana adorned with the Dragonfly motif. Lots of Japanese symbolism regarding this; one, as I am sure you know, 'A Protector of Children'.
    God bless you and yours,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    It’s Kirinite, an acrylic material. When I commissioned the instrument I explained to Wilkie that it would be a tribute to the memory of my daughter (Lauren) who passed away at age 24 from complications related to Sickle Cell anemia. My wife and I were devastated. In fact my wife suffered a heart attack on the 1-year anniversary of her death. A year later my wife called me to the patio to note a striking red dragonfly hovering about her. She extended her arm and it landed there and remained for several minutes. In fact, each year around Mother’s Day this scene has repeated.

We found that among several cultures there is quite a bit of folklore associated with red dragonflys. A fairly common mythology is that the appearance of a red dragonfly is a visitor from the spirit realm bringing assurance that a deceased loved one is faring well and wishes you to be happy. My wife has taken extraordinary comfort in this and looks forward each year for a visit from the red dragonfly.

I requested that Wilkie create a “red dragonfly” headstock inlay. After investigating a number of options he proposed using red kirinite, along with abalone and MOP, to create the inlay.

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gregc57 View Post
    What a lovely Tribute. I love the Dragonfly. I have a Japanese katana adorned with the Dragonfly motif. Lots of Japanese symbolism regarding this; one, as I am sure you know, 'A Protector of Children'.
    God bless you and yours,
    Greg
    I’d love to see a photo of your katana.

AKA

User Info Menu

I’d love to see a photo of your katana.

AKA
    New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-shinken_desktop-jpgNew Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-shinken_home-jpgNew Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-shinken10-jpgNew Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-shinken11-jpg

User Info Menu

New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-shinken11-jpg

Wow! I love it!

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    I like everything about this build. I really dig the more open, bigger Florentine cut for some reason. (as compared to the circular 175 type). I'm more of a Venetian guy, but this looks right to me.

I'm gonna have to go to La Conner one year. Maybe when the VanIsl > Anacortes ferry starts running again, if it does. That's a lovely trip and I'd love to meet some locals.
    I’m 30 minutes from there. Happy to give you a lift!

User Info Menu

AKA
    I’ve not read a more heartwarming story on this forum. I’m truly sorry to hear about the passing of your daughter. I hope you and your wife are finally experiencing some comfort and peace.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the offer 2B! We'll see what happens. Looks like if I want to go I'll be driving though, which could put me on Chuckanut at some point, which is always good. Taylor Shellfish!

Washington ferries:
    International service to and from Sidney, B.C. remains suspended until further notice due to continued significant crewing and vessel availability challenges. There will be no service to and from Sidney through at least Spring of 2030.

Hope to meet you in La Conner one day!

User Info Menu

Post deleted.
    Last edited by Mark M.; 06-18-2024 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    I’ve not read a more heartwarming story on this forum. I’m truly sorry to hear about the passing of your daughter. I hope you and your wife are finally experiencing some comfort and peace.
    Thank you. We are.

Albert