The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

I commissioned an acoustic archtop from Wyatt Wilkie. I used different materials from the traditional Maple/Spruce back and top. The sides and back are Claro Walnut, and the top is Curly Redwood. I’m using a Mahogany neck, and Rosewood fingerboard. It also features stylized sound-holes and a sound-port on the upper bout.

The instrument will have a Florentine cutaway, 16” lower bout, 3” depth, 1-3/4” neck, and a 25” scale length.

The box will be closed soon. I’ve included a few pictures.

AKA
    Attached Images Attached Images New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-a0a7310f-cfda-494b-bf13-9ce3b0a62b8c-jpeg New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-de7dc7bf-76d3-40f6-8a54-08fe88c4790c-jpeg New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-7e02a5d5-ebba-43ef-acda-c8dccab02739-jpeg 
    Last edited by AKA; 06-09-2024 at 09:36 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's already very nice as it is shown here. What finish have you chosen ?
    Love the f-holes shape

User Info Menu

Nice woods! I love the use of Walnut, which is more common on Classical guitars. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Wow. Wilkie is a master!
    I've had the opportunity to meet him and his guitars at the La Conner WA Luthier festival. Fantastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    Wow. Wilkie is a master!
    I've had the opportunity to meet him and his guitars at the La Conner WA Luthier festival. Fantastic.
    He has been a pleasure to work with - a serious artist, with both humility and a great sense of humor.

AKA

User Info Menu

Beautiful! I love walnut. Wilkie is an incredible builder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june View Post
    It's already very nice as it is shown here. What finish have you chosen ?
    Love the f-holes shape
    Yes. I’m really excited knowing Wilkie’s ability to create something extraordinary with these beautiful materials.

We haven’t yet discussed the finish in depth. I’m thinking a clear lacquer finish.

AKA

User Info Menu

Progress photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-img_0553-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Dig the one-piece top.
    Walnut is cool - old Epiphone Broadways use walnut; Erich Solomon uses walnut; bunch of other builders as well.

User Info Menu

AKA,
    The guitar is coming along beautifully. Smart move with the sound port- it makes a huge difference for the player. Keep us posted on progress.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Steve,

Yes. Once I committed to having it built as a dedicated acoustic archtop, the sound port was a given.

AKA

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    AKA,
    The guitar is coming along beautifully. Smart move with the sound port- it makes a huge difference for the player. Keep us posted on progress.

User Info Menu

Hammertone,

Yes. Given the traditional approach of maple back/spruce top/ebony fingerboard, choosing walnut for the back and sides was a big deal for me. That non-traditional choice led me to further consider, and ultimately choose, an alternative top - in this case the one-piece curly redwood top you noted. As construction progresses I have the occasional “what the heck was I thinking” moment. LOL.

AKA

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone View Post
    Dig the one-piece top.
    Walnut is cool - old Epiphone Broadways use walnut; Erich Solomon uses walnut; bunch of other builders as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    Hammertone,

Yes. Given the traditional approach of maple back/spruce top/ebony fingerboard, choosing walnut for the back and sides was a big deal for me. That non-traditional choice led me to further consider, and ultimately choose, an alternative top - in this case the one-piece curly redwood top you noted. As construction progresses I have the occasional “what the heck was I thinking” moment. LOL.

AKA
    AKA,
    Don't doubt your choices - it will be something different from what you've owned - and you will likely enjoy the outcome. I have a Martin with alternative woods and it's amazing. If all of our guitars sounded the same..... life would be boring. I applaud your choices and look forward to the finished product.

User Info Menu

One-piece Curly Redwood top / Fretboard end flourish.

AKA
    Attached Images Attached Images New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-img_0551-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Interesting build. A sound port puts acoustic archtops in another league. The player, the owner and person who has to listen to it the most, will get a front row seat, instead of someone else; or more often, an empty room and a music stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    One-piece Curly Redwood top / Fretboard end flourish.

AKA
    Redwood top! I built one once. Loved the sound. Don’t play it much for other reasons, but I think a good piece of redwood does a great job in this application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Getting closer to completion.
    Attached Images Attached Images New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-img_0919-jpg New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-img_0920-jpg 

User Info Menu

I like everything about this build. I really dig the more open, bigger Florentine cut for some reason. (as compared to the circular 175 type). I'm more of a Venetian guy, but this looks right to me.

I'm gonna have to go to La Conner one year. Maybe when the VanIsl > Anacortes ferry starts running again, if it does. That's a lovely trip and I'd love to meet some locals.

User Info Menu

Interesting neck join. I’ve seen something similar before. Can you explain it more? What is the burl'd wood caps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Interesting neck join. I’ve seen something similar before. Can you explain it more? What is the burl'd wood caps?
    Archie,

Here is a photo of a similar completed design. I’ll defer to Wilkie on the details. I’ll PM his email if you’d like ask him directly.

The burled cap/accents is Amboyna. It’s also used as the headstock faceplate veneer.

AKA
    Attached Images Attached Images New Wilkie Acoustic Archtop Build-img_0952-jpeg 

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

User Info Menu

How much longer until we, pardon, you can hear her?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    I like everything about this build. I really dig the more open, bigger Florentine cut for some reason. (as compared to the circular 175 type). I'm more of a Venetian guy, but this looks right to me.

I found this quote from Wilkie regarding the Florentine cutaway shape.

“I came up with [it] many years ago with a customer of mine who wanted it more open, not curled up and tight like Gibson. I love the feel of it, the access to upper frets and I think the look is distinctive.”

AKA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    How much longer until we, pardon, you can hear her?
    A couple of weeks ago Wilkie said it should be completed in a few weeks. So, I’m assuming sometime in August at the latest. July hopefully.

AKA

User Info Menu

It's beautiful! I hope it's everything to wanted when it arrives. Keep us in the loop, please!