The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

For something a bit different, here is a video of me playing a Kirk Sand Richard Smith model nylon string guitar. I guess you would call it a cross over as it is 14 frets at the neck/body, and has a great sounding pickup system. I think it is an RMC, and each individual saddle acts as a contact pickup.

The song is Lover Come Back To Me, arranged by Chet. I think I got about 90% of the original arrangement, the other 10% is beyond my skill level. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdL_A0k8lWo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kirk builds some really great guitars. I know Doyle Dykes is a huge fan of them. Nice playing too.

Thanks Vinnie, appreciate it.

Len

User Info Menu

++

Do I hear a bit of that Chet Atkins sound, i.e. is this an electro-acoustic recording?

What kind of bracing is in the guitar, btw?

Thanks. I think you are right, I usually record two channels, since there is only on mic visible in the video the other one was probably on the amp.

Don't recall what kind of bracing he used for this one. I had it custom made (brazilian back and sides) but we did not discuss bracing. It sounds amazing unamplified.

User Info Menu

That's what I thought (hearing 2 channels)

Re. bracing: easy enough to take a peek inside if you still have the guitar, or put a small light in to see the bracing through the top (if it's as thin as it should on a nylon-stringer)?

Looks like parallel bracing with a long diagonal brace going from the sound hole toward the bottom bout.

User Info Menu

Nice! My first guitar teacher was into Chet, about 60 years ago, and as a youngster I was astounded by that style he played, sitting in a trailer next to the Ohio River. It always floored me to listen and it still makes me feel great to hear it. Really takes me back there. Thanks for that. Very cool guitar. You sound great on it. My wife also liked it. I guess I'll have to give it a try now. It was in the realm of impossibility back then, but I've improved in all of those years and might be able to squeeze a couple of bars out. Ha! Again, nice playing.

Thanks for the kind words, Sky! Really appreciate it! I learned this arrangement from a teaching DVD called The Guitar of Chet Atkins (taught by Chet). It was published by Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop, and is still available in streaming format: Shop | Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop Glad to know there are some other Chet fans on the forum . I learned jazz guitar before learning any of Chet's arrangements, and although what Chet plays does not sound like traditional jazz, without my jazz background I would not have been able to learn any of his arrangements. Altered chords, ninths, thirteenths and substitutions all over the neck. He made the ridiculously complicated sound simple and easy.

User Info Menu

Nice playing and great sounding guitar. I have a wonderful Classical guitar that I rarely play these days as the wide, square neck feels so different from all of my other guitars that it doesn't feel comfortable. Perhaps I should sell it and get a crossover of some sort?

Your video has given me food for thought.

Thanks! Crossovers are widely available and great fun to play. Mine has a 1 7/8" nut and a 25.4" scale length. I believe you can get a Godin with a 1.75" nut. Give it a try .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Len R View Post
    Looks like parallel bracing with a long diagonal brace going from the sound hole toward the bottom bout.
    Interesting, thanks!

Thanks! Crossovers are widely available and great fun to play. Mine has a 1 7/8" nut and a 25.4" scale length. I believe you can get a Godin with a 1.75" nut. Give it a try .
    True, but sadly not all crossovers are good-sounding alternatives to classicals; many are made for acoustic guitar players who want "that nylon sound" but don't care about the acoustic (aka unplugged) sound. Taylor nylon-stringers are a good example; if you're used to a classical they sound aenemic (and not even really "nice" to my ears).
    You're probably better off with a crossover from a company that is also known for their classical guitars.

And on a jazz forum I have to mention the Slaman Dome of course. Definitely not a CG, from what I hear also not as powerful but it's different and good-sounding enough that that may not be the biggest problem. It's got a 1.75" nut (the ultimate reason I didn't get one).

I don't know what the R.Smith model costs new; I saw one has been sold on Reverb for nearly 9k$, another for much less (the difference being BRW vs. EIRW, I presume). In that price range I'd get a "real" Buscarino Cabaret (and maybe ask John to build a 14 fret model).

User Info Menu

Nice playing and lovely guitar. Love Chet—surprisingly one of my kids’ favorite albums when we were on long car trips in the ‘00s was The Day the Finger Pickers Took over the World, with Tommy Emmanuel.

This is rather tangential, but my best friend in high school was named Richard Smith. There were 3 Richard Smiths in my small high school in Chattanooga, and we had a teacher named Richard Smith.

My friend was a well-known local DJ and talk show host who sadly died a few years ago from the effects of alcohol and drug abuse (liver failure).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    surprisingly one of my kids’ favorite albums when we were on long car trips in the ‘00s was The Day the Finger Pickers Took over the World, with Tommy Emmanuel.
    How is it surprising that TE would appeal to a(nother) kid (I'm guessing your car had video screens for the backseat passengers)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    How is it surprising that TE would appeal to a(nother) kid (I'm guessing your car had video screens for the backseat passengers)?
    Yes back in 2003 or so we had an Odyssey with a drop down video.I think we used it to play Raffi and Little Mermaid videos, though, not Chet and Tommy.

Surprising that my kids loved so much guitar music--the Beatles, James Taylor, Chet--but none of them really showed an interest in guitar. They all studied piano. One of my daughters is or at least was (til she got into grad school and got too busy) a good cellist, and my older son is a pianist/percussionist who does dabble a bit in guitar.

User Info Menu

what is your choice for strings on your Sand?

User Info Menu

Reacting to this once more after seeing the Kirk guitar a few more times in different videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    I have a wonderful Classical guitar that I rarely play these days as the wide, square neck feels so different from all of my other guitars that it doesn't feel comfortable. Perhaps I should sell it and get a crossover of some sort?
    Crossovers are widely available and great fun to play. Mine has a 1 7/8" nut and a 25.4" scale length. I believe you can get a Godin with a 1.75" nut. Give it a try .
    That Kirk Sand nylon stringer seems to be closer in shape to a (cut) OM than to a classical.
    Cort's OC8 Gold Nylon is just that: an x-braced OM built for nylon strings, a 48mm nut width and 650mm scale (14 frets to the body). For the price it's probably one of the most interesting crossovers at the moment, also because it also aims to be a fully acoustic instrument.