The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Havent seen anything new from them in a while, I had heard some time back that manufacturing went from Korea to China. Ive had a few...very good value for the $. Was looking at a Conti which was supposedly made by Peerless.
    Any info appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good question. I’d like to know the answer.

User Info Menu

Well their website is still active and you can add items to cart so i would have to think they are in business.GuitarsnJazz carried their line,so maybe call them and see if you can order through them.

User Info Menu

I thought Peerless was making the new D'Angelico line of guitars. But I'm not sure where it was I came across that information. Most likely on Reddit or another forum.

User Info Menu

Peerless was acquired by another guitar company a few years ago. On the website (www.sessionman.co.kr), I can see Peerless-branded acoustic flattop guitars but not electric archtops. I read a few online forum posts (in Korean) and rumor has it that the company no longer manufactures archtop guitars.
    I am not sure whether the Peerless website is just selling remaining items in stock. Maybe the acquiring company does not care about the Peerless website.

User Info Menu

That ^ is not encouraging. I’m happy to keep my Peerless Cremona, which my guitar tech told me was better than the Gibson Custom Shop guitars he had worked on.

There are one or two Peerless archtops for sale on this forum…

User Info Menu

Peerless was acquired by SessionMan in Aug 2020, AFAICT. It seems to continue as a separate brand under SessionMan. If you go to peerlessguitars.com, there are still the same archtops as before, listed with prices. I have no actual knowledge, just what I see online. Translation can sometimes be problematic.

User Info Menu

Formerly introduced Peerless to 12 detailers here in France some twelve years ago, but since their demise ( more or less ) and the buy outs in Korea they can only be found in eg Stars Music ( big ) in Toulouse; Guitare Electrique Peerless - Achat pas cher ! - Star's Music or Euro Music ( same two models as Stars Music ) - probably old/unsold stock.

Rob is right about the Cremona - definitely on my 'should never have sold it list.

Sad. Top end models were a match for pretty well anything. Precursor to Fibonacci of course.

User Info Menu

Peerless also manufactured instruments for other brands, such as Epiphone. I wonder if that will continue?

User Info Menu

According to the Peerless website, the manufacturing for other companies stopped several years ago. The website is minimal at best, and I can't find the information now, but it said, in essence, that outside production had stopped "in order to concentrate on high quality models", or something similar. Take that for what you will. The company started in 1970 as a subsidiary of Fujigen Japan, at some point became a separate company, and was producing in excess of 30,000 instruments/year for some time, and according to the website it received an award from the Korean government for producing more than 3 million instruments for export, 10 or more years ago. Although the Peerless website still advertises archtops, it's not entirely clear to me whether they are actually still being produced. Both the Peerless and SessionMan websites are short on actual information.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop View Post
    That ^ is not encouraging. I’m happy to keep my Peerless Cremona, which my guitar tech told me was better than the Gibson Custom Shop guitars he had worked on.

There are one or two Peerless archtops for sale on this forum…
    Don’t ever even think about selling that guitar, ever! It needs absolutely nothing, and hats off to the tech who installed the perfect pickup. It sounds truly awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    Formerly introduced Peerless to 12 detailers here in France some twelve years ago, but since their demise ( more or less ) and the buy outs in Korea they can only be found in eg Stars Music ( big ) in Toulouse; Guitare Electrique Peerless - Achat pas cher ! - Star's Music or Euro Music ( same two models as Stars Music ) - probably old/unsold stock.

Rob is right about the Cremona - definitely on my 'should never have sold it list.

Sad. Top end models were a match for pretty well anything. Precursor to Fibonacci of course.
    I remember the time when Au Joyeux Fa Dièse had a bunch of Peerless for sale at heavy discount. I almost pulled the trigger for a Sunset at that time. I probably should have done that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june View Post
    I remember the time when Au Joyeux Fa Dièse had a bunch of Peerless for sale at heavy discount. I almost pulled the trigger for a Sunset at that time. I probably should have done that.
    I first introduced the owner there to Peerless some 12 years ( I think ) ago - pretty dour individual. He had a good run with the marque, but not sure if he is even there any more. I know that he acquired other shops, notably Villefrance and Rodez, but I think Rodez has different ownership currently.

David

User Info Menu

They have guitars for sale on their website, all are the same price, about $1655 USD as of today (except for the Martin Taylor model).
    Peerless Archtop Guitars

Are the archtops they made for other companies, e.g., Epiphone and Gretsch, just as good? You can often buy those for half as much money without the hassles of shipping from Korea.

User Info Menu

It's a real shame. About every 6 months I find myself sending them an email trying to buy a guitar.

Never should have sold the Monarch I had... It played fantastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
    It's a real shame. About every 6 months I find myself sending them an email trying to buy a guitar.
    What do you mean, are they unresponsive to your emails? A language barrier perhaps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    What do you mean, are they unresponsive to your emails? A language barrier perhaps?
    Yup, never get a message back.

User Info Menu

I enjoyed my Peerless Sunset while I had it—flawlessly built. I got MANY comments on how nice it looked, as well.

Is Peerless still in business?-image009-jpeg

Is Peerless still in business?-img_5539-jpg

Not sure what Peerless is doing these days, but my guess is the quality luthiers in Korea will find a way to keep making great guitars.

User Info Menu

Yup, never get a message back (from peerlessguitars).
    There are plenty of used Peerless archtop guitars for sale online, including guitars they made for Ibanez, Gretsch, et. al., 20 years ago or so.

User Info Menu

Gads, if the brand is gone it's too bad. My Peerless PM20 335 type is a great instrument.

Is Peerless still in business?-peerless_hardtail-jpg

User Info Menu

There are 25 Peerless on the GNJ website:

Inventory — Guitars 'n Jazz

User Info Menu

I understand that Gretsch guitars that were made at the Peerless factory in Korea have serial numbers that start with "GP" (= Gretsch Peerless factory)

Here is one from an eBay listing of a Gretsch G-3900 -- https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kW4AA...P/s-l1600.webp

I don't know if Ibanez serial numbers identify the manufacturer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    There are plenty of used Peerless archtop guitars for sale online, including guitars they made for Ibanez, Gretsch, et. al., 20 years ago or so.
    Ah, but I'm in hard mode...

I'm left handed.

So, very few unfortunately

User Info Menu

Ah, but I'm in hard mode...

I'm left handed.

So, very few unfortunately
    Peerless Monarch 17 Lefty Archtop Guitar w case #7020 — Guitars 'n Jazz