The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

You’ll be surprised by his number 1 pick.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Isn't he sponsored by Heritage guitars? If so, I think he should've disclosed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Isn't he sponsored by Heritage guitars? If so, I think he should've disclosed it.
    I don’t know if he is. He’s got more used Gibsons than Heritage guitars for sale on his website.

According to his “guitar college” site rich endorses heritage guitars. I love watching him play but he seemed very uncomfortable with the L5.

User Info Menu

He usually sounds similar to my ears in casual listening. It's always weird watching him play, he never looks like he depresses any fingers on his left hand. NOT a criticism, just an observation

User Info Menu

Who knows what they sound like in the room but in the recordings, I thought the Tal sounded best followed by the Golden Eagle. Those two just had a richness that the others didn't have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66 View Post
    He usually sounds similar to my ears in casual listening. It's always weird watching him play, he never looks like he depresses any fingers on his left hand. NOT a criticism, just an observation
    I always think the same thing. It looks like he just moves his hand up and down the neck and notes pop out. Whatever the technique is, is must be very efficient.

User Info Menu

I think his action is very low, he has a custom string gauge set with lighter wound strings than usual. This must allow a very light touch, and give this impression he's flying on the fingerboard.
    I noticed he moves more his hands than fingers, like if he had note patterns right under his moving hand.
    But he is a very good player, and you often have a false impression of great ease of execution watching them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66 View Post
    Yes, I've noticed that too. His technique looks effortless. And his sound is great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    No, he isn't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux View Post
    No, he isn't.
    He says it on his teaching website:
    Heritage Guitars

User Info Menu

I know many hold the Gibson L-5 in very, very high esteem, and rightly so. The Golden Eagle is similar and different, too. It has the Citation inlays, which some like. It's slightly shallower. The woods in Rich's certainly look good. The bracing in the GE can be parallel or X types, depending on the order.

The HRW pickup is different. It has more of sparkle, which is a matter of taste.

The guitar sounds very nice.

Rich has the bridge base upside down.

One of my Golden Eagles ended up with Rich. He played it on at least one of his videos. It has a single pickup HRW also.

I've watched Rich for quite a few years. I believe him about his opinions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass View Post
    I know many hold the Gibson L-5 in very, very high esteem, and rightly so. The Golden Eagle is similar and different, too. It has the Citation inlays, which some like. It's slightly shallower. The woods in Rich's certainly look good. The bracing in the GE can be parallel or X types, depending on the order.

The HRW pickup is different. It has more of sparkle, which is a matter of taste.

The guitar sounds very nice.

Rich has the bridge base upside down.

One of my Golden Eagles ended up with Rich. He played it on at least one of his videos. It has a single pickup HRW also.

I've watched Rich for quite a few years. I believe him about his opinions.
    So do I. He's very specific about some of he things he likes and dislikes (like the big/high frets) and it's very easy to hear which guitars do his sound the most justice. The Golden Eagle both feels good to him and he can get his sound. The Tal also gets his sound (in spades) but I suspect it doesn't feel as good to him.

User Info Menu

Indeed the Tal had a smooth dark sound one that could easily win. The difference between the 5 guitars is like figuring out which pizza tastes the best. I am not sure but I take another piece of each,

User Info Menu

Note to Quilter haters: all 5 slices of pie come to you through a Mach 3 combo oven.

User Info Menu

Apparently he doesn't realize that to those who don't play guitar much or take it seriously, his thread title, "top 5 guitars," just sounds self-indulgent, like a rich guy discussing the top 5 automobiles he owns. But then again, I suppose those people would not watch his videos.

"I noticed he moves more his hands than fingers, like if he had note patterns right under his moving hand."

He's actually faking it, miming to a recording.... just kidding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510 View Post
    I think his action is very low, he has a custom string gauge set with lighter wound strings than usual. This must allow a very light touch, and give this impression he's flying on the fingerboard.
    I noticed he moves more his hands than fingers, like if he had note patterns right under his moving hand.
    But he is a very good player, and you often have a false impression of great ease of execution watching them?
    He has significant arthritis of his hands. Despite that, he sounds very good and is quick. His strings are light, but not slinky.

D’Addario Chrome Extra Light Gauge Flat Wound Strings, plus a 13 and 15 to customize to Rich's Special Blend 13-15-20w-28-38-48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Apparently he doesn't realize that to those who don't play guitar much or take it seriously, his thread title, "top 5 guitars," just sounds self-indulgent, like a rich guy discussing the top 5 automobiles he owns. But then again, I suppose those people would not watch his videos.

"I noticed he moves more his hands than fingers, like if he had note patterns right under his moving hand."

He's actually faking it, miming to a recording.... just kidding.
    These top 5 are from the hundreds or more he's owned.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    Note to Quilter haters: all 5 slices of pie come to you through a Mach 3 combo oven.
    I'm impressed with the sound he gets from the Quilter!

User Info Menu

He does make the Quilter amp sound great. He's got a video on how he addresses that, although it was a while back and I think was a different model amp than he is currently using.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    He does make the Quilter amp sound great. He's got a video on how he addresses that, although it was a while back and I think was a different model amp than he is currently using.
    When he first got the Quilter Mach 3, he did a video about it showing his settings. I bought one and use his settings. It is a great amp for jazz guitar if you like the classic Fender tube amp sound and don't want to carry the weight.

User Info Menu

He is above all a magnificent guitar player, he really know whats and how to play. I applaude him for his skills. He sounds nothing less than amazing. But for some undefined reason I have never trusted his opinions about guitars. Trust is something that comes on foot and leaves by horseback, and believe me, my statement is just nothing more than my guts feeling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01 View Post
    He is above all a magnificent guitar player, he really know whats and how to play. I applaude him for his skills. He sounds nothing less than amazing. But for some undefined reason I have never trusted his opinions about guitars. Trust is something that comes on foot and leaves by horseback, and believe me, my statement is just nothing more than my guts feeling.
    Two things about Rich I see that gives me some clue. He is an electric guitar player first I don't believe acoustic archtops are his major bag. Unlike myself I am primarily an acoustic archtop player. He also likes narrow skinny necks 1 9/16 he finds them fast to player. To me these skinny necks are like trying to take a bath in the kitchen sink. Finally, he plays better than me for sure but I believe he is practical and money and bang for the buck are important. Heritage will do pretty much what a Gibson will but there is only 1 L5 and 1 Super 400's. Nothing gets you to these guitars except the real deals.
    Last edited by deacon Mark; 06-09-2024 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I own 11 archtops made by the following makers

Gibson
    John D'Angelico
    Heritage
    Mark Campellone

Any of them could be my number 1 and depending on the day, all are just that. I suspect that RIch probably feels the same way about the 5 guitars in the video and maybe a few more in his collection.

Guitar players tend to be fickle by nature.

User Info Menu

Like SS I have

Gibson
    John D'Angelico
    Heritage
    Mark Campellone

If I were to add a guitar now it would only be a Gibson or D'angelico.