The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

This L-5 was destroyed by FedEx.
    Broken headstock and several bad top cracks. Mark is restoring it back to playing glory. He doesn’t like taking on repairs but is doing it as a special favor.
    Stayed tuned for the finished restoration results.

L-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_0550-jpegL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_0551-jpegL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_0552-jpegL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_0553-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

L-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_0554-jpeg

User Info Menu

Nice work. The fact that the stinger didn't break is a lucky.....break.
    I'm guessing this is the JD guitar?

User Info Menu

The top ended up with cracks? I wonder if Fed Ex is going to pay? Seems like he glued crack back but not any other modification or added wood. A bit different than the approach he used with the Super 400 Vinny got.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Nice work. The fact that the stinger didn't break is a lucky.....break.
    I'm guessing this is the JD guitar?
    Yup - The stinger will be replaced for more reinforcement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    Yup - The stinger will be replaced for more reinforcement.
    I don't think the stinger provides that much strength and at this point once the crack is repaired it would take another major blow for it to be compromised.
    why not just glue the original down and hit it w/ a coat of lacquer, would save having to do any refinishing, no?

User Info Menu

Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    I don't think the stinger provides that much strength and at this point once the crack is repaired it would take another major blow for it to be compromised.
    why not just glue the original down and hit it w/ a coat of lacquer, would save having to do any refinishing, no?
    The rear veneer is replaced with a hardwood thicker veneer for more strength. He will mill off the thin Bakelite veneer.
    Then paint on a new stinger. On the 2 he did for me, 100% invisible in the stinger section. On a vsb completely invisible.

L-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_1473-jpgL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_1471-jpgL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_0504-jpgL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_0476-jpeg

User Info Menu

Great work! I was hoping to see this thread after reading about the neck break on this one. Mark is a master!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M. View Post
    Great work! I was hoping to see this thread after reading about the neck break on this one. Mark is a master!
    An American treasure, a legend in his own time, and a good friend.

User Info Menu

I just today dropped off a $1500 guitar at FedEx, and they told me there's now an insurance limit Of $1000 on a musical instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I just today dropped off a $1500 guitar at FedEx, and they told me there's now an insurance limit Of $1000 on a musical instrument.
    So the gorillas they hire can still have a job.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound View Post
    I just today dropped off a $1500 guitar at FedEx
    Sounds like that didn't start well already ...

I don't know about you but I'd have cancelled the transaction then and there!

What about the top crack repairs? (A little devil on my shoulder is whispering into my ears that they'll help with feedback resistance?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Sounds like that didn't start well already ...

I don't know about you but I'd have cancelled the transaction then and there!

What about the top crack repairs? (A little devil on my shoulder is whispering into my ears that they'll help with feedback resistance?)
    Looks like there's only one area on the top (near the pickup) where the spruce is actually cracked - in other areas, it looks like just the finish is fractured (from top flexing).

L-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_9674-jpgL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_9204-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    Looks like there's only one area on the top (near the pickup) where the spruce is actually cracked

L-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_9674-jpg
    That one shouldn't affect sound too much if at all, fortunately ... but ... testament to the abuse the instrument must have endured? The cut-out for the PU must fragilise the structure to some extent but that's still part of the area where the top is the thickest. Could this be a result of all string tension disappearing abruptly when the headstock broke off?
    Hard to see with the reflection, but does this crack go through the grain?

User Info Menu

I've posted this before, if you want to minimize, but probably not totally eliminate, shipping damage, it helps to ship a guitar like Mark C. does.

Also, get instrument insurance and a special addition whenever you ship a guitar.

EDIT:
    -Cushioning under and over headstock
    -Foam cushion between pickup and (loosened) strings
    -Foam cushioning around bridge under strings
    -Foam cushioning under tailpiece
    -Wrapped corrugated cardboard on lower bout to keep guitar from shifting- guitar can't bang around in case
    -Strong construction to begin with

Did I miss anything Mark?

L-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_3026-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    That one shouldn't affect sound too much if at all, fortunately ... but ... testament to the abuse the instrument must have endured? The cut-out for the PU must fragilise the structure to some extent but that's still part of the area where the top is the thickest. Could this be a result of all string tension disappearing abruptly when the headstock broke off?
    Hard to see with the reflection, but does this crack go through the grain?
    The top would not have cracked due to sudden loss of string tension - that crack was the result of impact to the pickup (as you can see in the pic below, it doesn't exactly follow a grain line) - once repaired, it won't affect the sound any.

L-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_9202-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill View Post
    I've posted this before, if you want to minimize, but probably not totally eliminate, shipping damage, it helps to ship a guitar like Mark C. does.

Also, get instrument insurance and a special addition whenever you ship a guitar.

EDIT:
    -Wrapped corrugated cardboard on lower bout to keep guitar from shifting- guitar can't bang around in case

Just to clarify, the bridge is removed for shipping and a soft pad is positioned in its place.

The padding I use at the lower bout is made from corrugated material with only a single outer layer (pics below), so it's much more flexible/soft than regular corrugated cardboard. I just roll it and wrap it in paper towel - crumpled newspaper could substitute.

I never use bubble wrap (or any other plastic material) to cushion the guitar inside the case due to possible interaction with the lacquer (yes, I've seen it happen).

L-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_7712_1-jpgL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_7715_1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post
    L-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_1473-jpgL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_1471-jpgL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_0504-jpgL-5 Repair by Mark Campellone-img_0476-jpeg
    I'm trying to interpret these pictures. The last two are the repaired L5. The first two seem to be pictures of a sunburst L5. Was the sunburst L5 also repaired?

User Info Menu

Edit: truly excellent headstock repair work, superb.

I would guess that this thread's headstock break was most possibly caused by insufficient cushioning inside the case.

The more cushioning the better in my opinion.

I use inexpensive soft foam pipe insulation inside the case on the guitar and bubble wrap the case externally.

Then add extra foam pipe insulation outside the bubble wrapped case. This is all wrapped in heavy duty hazard tape.

Never had any problems with foam pipe insulation and nitro finish.

These below, cut length ways.

Last edited by GuyBoden; 06-13-2024 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175 View Post
    I'm trying to interpret these pictures. The last two are the repaired L5. The first two seem to be pictures of a sunburst L5. Was the sunburst L5 also repaired?
    2 repaired broken headstocks on Super 400's by Mark.

User Info Menu

Nothing under the fingerrest (brace)?

I for one made a foam buffer that slips under and over that brace right up against the fingerrest that I put in place whenever I take my archtop out in its gigbag.

User Info Menu

Headstock fractures almost always occur by uneven acceleration of the neck and headstock. The headstock pocket allows continued flexion while the top of the neck stops motion by the support under it. The distance the headstock can bend before splintering is very small. Based on these facts, the most prudent way to pack the headstock is to have it tightly packed above and below. And I mean tightly and rigidly. I leave a gap between the headstock and its crushed velvet support so that if the case is dropped, the top of the neck impacts the its support at the same distance and time the headstock impacts on the padding I put in the case.

Top cracks can occur due to the weight and density of the pickup versus the thin top. If the guitar is dropped a distance, the humbucker can crack the top. Direct and even slow depression of the top of the case can do the same.

These are based on principles of physics. I also learned these while training in Detroit. The old timers studied fractures by dropping cadavers down elevator shafts. They worked on the prevention of skull and neck fractures this way. I met some of them and did a project on the determination of the cause of skull fractures in children suspected of suffering from abuse and neglect.

Dead Bodies for Live Crash Tests

BBC NEWS | Special Report | 1998 | Car Crash | How the dead have helped the living

Based on all of this work and lots of other science, the best way to pack is to allow zero motion inside the guitar case. That case should be put either in a box within a box, with ample peanuts surrounding the inner box, or remove any heavy pickups, wrap them up with lots of padding, and place them within the guitar.

Gibson chose to have one of their workers fly the artists' guitar personally with the worker holding the case. The rest of us buy in person or take our chances.

User Info Menu

The method/amount of packing has been discussed extensively on the forum.
    If you're going to pack the headstock so much that it's completely immobile you better make sure the body is likewise. Some people immobilize the headstock but not the body, this is how many breaks occur.
    I pack the headstock but not super tightly/completely immobile, same w the body. I think MC once posted he agreed w this but if he wants to chime in again he can.