The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

I've got a D'Angelico Excel Deluxe that I foolishly left out of its case in a stand over the winter. I never dropped it or bumped it, but I looked at it recently and found a crack right at the neck joint. I immediately slacked the strings and put it in its case. What I'm wondering is, how bad is this exactly? Is it just the lining separating from the body, and basically cosmetic, or is it a structural problem? Any diagnoses/advice appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images How bad is this?-1-jpg How bad is this?-2-jpg How bad is this?-3-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe nothing at all. Was the action higher like neck moved up?

User Info Menu

Nope, action seemed about the same.

User Info Menu

Then it appears as a crack in the heel no big deal. A bead of titebond glue and a Jorgensen clamp to get it back fine. The glue brush in between crack good. This is based on just the photo but more pictures would help me. It is not some rare expensive guitar to require huge thinking. No offense meant just being practical.

User Info Menu

No offense taken whatsoever! I'm perfectly happy to have this as a playable guitar with a crack in it, just wanted to make sure it wasn't weakened in a way that could cause bigger problems. Many thanks for taking a look.

I wasn't sure which angles would shed more light, but here's a few more pictures.

How bad is this?-img_0650-jpgHow bad is this?-img_0653-jpgHow bad is this?-img_0655-jpgHow bad is this?-img_0656-jpg

User Info Menu

Is that a factory fitted strap button or an afterthought? Could it be causing the back to separate from the heel block?

User Info Menu

Good question—I bought it used, and the strap button was already there. But I've had it for a few years and the crack only showed up this year.

User Info Menu

Yes I see and easy. Glue and clamp it will be almost invisible I would take at syringe and push glue. 2 properly placed clamps and let dry 24 hours. In my shop $125 no finish worked needed.

User Info Menu

OP if you clamp it yourself be easy. You have to use enough pressure but not too much it’ll damage the guitar. Ask for help or watch some YouTube tutorials if you’re going to DIY.

Think gallon of milk, not pop bottle.

User Info Menu

Clamp but do not starve the surfaces of glue by overtightening clamps. Secure with squeeze out but does not squeeze all glue out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Yes I see and easy. Glue and clamp it will be almost invisible I would take at syringe and push glue. 2 properly placed clamps and let dry 24 hours. In my shop $125 no finish worked needed.
    You charge $125 for what amounts to about ten or fifteen minutes of work?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
    Looking at the original photographs there is a crack the extends the full width and external depth of the heel. It also appears to extend an inch or more up both sides of the neck-body joint as well as extending along the back - side joint in the upper bout for what looks like slightly more than an inch.

Even if it is just a "glue and clamp" repair that is still more than a 10 - 15 minute job to properly diagnose and repair in a clean and permanent fashion.

User Info Menu

Without a doubt and more. The strings need to be removed and the whole guitar set back up to play. This requires much more time than 15 minutes. Obviously you have not repaired guitars. Call a plumber to come and install a new shutoff value. just to change the valve takes 10-15 minutes. However there is much more involves. That will cost at least $150.

User Info Menu

Invoice:

$25 materials and labor
    $100 EXPERIENCE & EXPERTISE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss View Post
    Looking at the original photographs there is a crack the extends the full width and external depth of the heel. It also appears to extend an inch or more up both sides of the neck-body joint as well as extending along the back - side joint in the upper bout for what looks like slightly more than an inch.

Even if it is just a "glue and clamp" repair that is still more than a 10 - 15 minute job to properly diagnose and repair in a clean and permanent fashion.
    Guitarist some have no idea what it takes to do repairs. I did a refret on a Gibson L7 5 weeks ago. The time spent to pull the old frets was about 15 minutes. They came up easy and clean. The actual time to nail 20 frets in cut to size about 45 minutes. Sounds easy right and I should not be charging $400 to do it! Well I spent 2 hours filing the frets for shape and proper width on fingerboard. Oh, not to mention my Fret Tang Nipper is of the highest quality tool and cost me $115 about 6 years ago. Comes with 2 attachments for fret size............my guess is many guitar players just have these laying around. Have we priced Jorgensen Clamps recently? Would you like to see my boxes of specialty files..............yes these are costly overtime you accumulate them because way too much cost all at once.

User Info Menu

Quality work deserves top dollar in my book. Great skill is worth the money. I never mind paying for excellent quality work.
    Buy cheap get cheap. It is more of a challenge these days to find good craftsmen. Lots of hacks out there.

A quality fret job in my hood will run $700.00

User Info Menu

Value, not price alone.

User Info Menu

...Oh, not to mention my Fret Tang Nipper is of the highest quality tool and cost me $115 about 6 years ago...
    No way! Fret Tang Nipper was my nickname in college!

User Info Menu

What I don't get is, how does leaving the guitar out of its case cause this? All of my guitars are out on a rack all year round for easy access, but covered by a sheet, only for dust cover.

User Info Menu

Without a doubt and more. The strings need to be removed and the whole guitar set back up to play. This requires much more time than 15 minutes. Obviously you have not repaired guitars. Call a plumber to come and install a new shutoff value. just to change the valve takes 10-15 minutes. However there is much more involves. That will cost at least $150.
    You first said it was an easy fix in previous post now say to me there is much more involved and compared to it changing a shut off valve which is an accurate comparison because changing a shutoff valve is absolute moron level work that can be done by anyone with enough brain power to chew gum and breathe at the same time. A deacon should have his tone control rolled back at all times.

User Info Menu

We are all free to choose

User Info Menu

You first said it was an easy fix in previous post now say to me there is much more involved and compared to it changing a shut off valve which is an accurate comparison because changing a shutoff valve is absolute moron level work that can be done by anyone with enough brain power to chew gum and breathe at the same time. A deacon should have his tone control rolled back at all times.
    Dawgbone you stick it right there in your ass. You happen to be one.

User Info Menu

He said EASY. It's still time consuming, detailed, delicate work.

User Info Menu

what amounts to about ten or fifteen minutes of work?
    Ten or fifteen minutes of work??? In your dreams.

User Info Menu

Theres no such thing as unskilled work, just uninformed posers.