The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hi i'm quite new to all this so forgive my ignorance but i'm looking to purchase a quality laminate archtop that costs around 1500usd with a relatively thin and short neck (no longer than 25 inches) and a floating neck pickup.

I don't know much about all the technical considerations, but i'm hoping for something with the natural resonance of a thin carved solid top; where i live's pretty humid so it wouldn't be wise to get a solid top (rlly dashed my hopes of saving up for a loar lh650). currently looking for one with a nice mellow tone that's still fat without having much of an overly tappy-sounding attack, especially when played even acoustically; i don't know how realistic that is for a laminate though.

The demos i've been listening to always seem to sound so artificial and forced when played unplugged.

I did come across this clip of a cort lcs which sounds alright acoustically:

as well as of an ibanez af55 (but it was modded a fair bit).

1500's a lot of money for me so i just want to make sure i'm doing as much as i can;

I'm far from done looking and merely thought it was time i made an account and asked here. while i know i ought to try them out for myself, i don't really have that option where i'm from; barely any archtops outside of bright Gretschs and semi-hollows so i'm mostly relying on sound samples, forums, specs listings, and string considerations.

It probably comes across as borderline mad and undeservingly profligate for a kid to even consider draining out all their savings this way but amen i really really want a jazzbox :'))

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's everything you want...

Ibanez George Benson GB10SE Hollowbody Guitar Brown Sunburst w/ Case Just a moment...

User Info Menu

Eastman laminate models are noted for having a sound that is leaning more towards carved territory. Their laminates are typically (from what I've seen and read) livelier and maybe more what you are looking for. Only thing is these will not have floaters but set in humbuckers. These models will include the AR371CE, AR372CE, AR403CE(D), AR380CE, and AR480CE. All but the AR372CE and AR380CE will have a single pickup, which will contribute to a better acoustic sound. If you buy used, they will also have thin nitro finishes which will further contribute to a livelier sound (newer models use "TrueTone", which is just Eastman code for thin polyurethane).

But all the above is moot if you are really dead set on a floater.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I picked up a late 90s Guild X-150 a month ago for about $1300 and I think it might fit the bill of what you're looking for. It's a 16.5 in lower bout, full depth laminate (does have a top mounted pickup). It has a good acoustic tone, I have an old L-7C and compared to that it certainly sounds more "laminate" but it has a similar volume and a full sound. Definitely enough volume to feel satisfied practicing unamplified. It's a very solidly built USA made guitar for what's typically an import price. Worth looking into IMO.