The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

Hey Mike.. (via Deacon..) I still have every Yunzhi and Wu guitar I bought. They were my first archtops and your insights were key to getting them. I have more expensive archtops now, but none that I like better or play more often.

Wishing you all the best.. and thanks for the huge contribution you made to all the pleasure I get out of music every single day.

- Andrew

aka Spook410
    Last edited by Spook410; 06-18-2024 at 02:10 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank you Mark for those sad news.

I hope every single guitar will end up with someone who appreciated Mike, here on the forum or anywhere else.

I owe Big Mike the pleasure to play my Yunzhi as often as i can.

His advice was so precious and i actually ended up with a
    miraculously great fret job, though i was prepared for some work to be done on them.

Reinstalled the PG, changed to a nice hand made Kent Armstrong 12 poles humbucker, did the wiring, put some transducers and a stereo output jack,
    and i can't believe how good the guitar is.

I don't know the health details but I strongly hope that Mike is comfortable and in peace and ... could it be that he will soon be home playing this terrific Unity ?
    Last edited by xuoham; 06-18-2024 at 06:23 AM. Reason: typos

User Info Menu

I am afraid Mike will not be returning home. His condo is being sold.
    He had 3 horrible surgeries. The specifics he doesn’t want known.
    Do keep him in your prayers. He loves the Lord and is keeping a great attitude and strong faith.

God bless him.

User Info Menu

Hey Mike

Wishing you well. I’ve thought about you a few times when enjoying my Cameo. I recall we both like twin pickup guitars!

Rog

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Do keep him in your prayers. He loves the Lord and is keeping a great attitude and strong faith.

God bless him.
    Vinny, thanks for updating us on Mike’s condition. Mike was very generous to many people on this forum, and I’ve always admired his philanthropic efforts involving animals and other causes - a remarkable legacy to be proud of. He’s a guy with a big heart - send him our well wishes. I’ll keep him in my prayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear the news about Mike

Here's hoping for some healing and comfort in the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k View Post

God bless him.
    Very sad...

User Info Menu

@Big Mike

This forum will not be same without you sir.

Your contribution here has been mighty.

User Info Menu

Mike would phone me now and then to talk guitars, which was great fun - haven't known him as long as some of you guys have, but he strikes me as a person who makes the most of living - hope that attitude will keep him going.
    Last edited by MCampellone; 06-19-2024 at 04:36 PM.

Big Mike has his priorities in order. I think he like nice looking ladies, great food, and guitars. He is a very devoted Christian and while not Roman Catholic he watches Mass on livestream from Holy Name Cathedral for his sabbath rest. The deacon considers him honorary Roman Catholic he does better many Catholics in high places and profile.

Let just say he could whip up a meal like Mark Campellone makes guitars.................you know in the end it is going to be great.

User Info Menu

Some of the posted prices for Big's vintage guitars are shall we say a little optomistic.....to be kind, especially considering some of them have major damage. I wonder how they arrived at them. the descriptions are wonky as well, many mistakes, it seems like these guys aren't very familiar w/ vintage guitars.
    If I understand correctly he sold them outright to Butler, so he won't benefit from said inflated asking prices.
    ah well, do your homework before purchasing....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Some of the posted prices for Big's vintage guitars are shall we say a little optomistic.....to be kind, especially considering some of them have major damage. I wonder how they arrived at them. the descriptions are wonky as well, many mistakes, it seems like these guys aren't very familiar w/ vintage guitars.
    If I understand correctly he sold them outright to Butler, so he won't benefit from said inflated asking prices.
    Maybe I got my deal because they liked the sound of my voice, but they didn't charge me shipping (Reverb ad said $350) or sales tax, which together would have been over $770.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
    Maybe I got my deal because they liked the sound of my voice, but they didn't charge me shipping (Reverb ad said $350) or sales tax, which together would have been over $770.
    Not trying to put Butler down, a few modern guitars they sold were priced at or below market.
    They just seem to overvalue the vintage stuff. But as I said, just do your homework and make offers accordingly.

User Info Menu

That’s 1 beautiful 18” archtop! Enjoy it!

User Info Menu

Not trying to put Butler down, a few modern guitars they sold were priced at or below market.
    They just seem to overvalue the vintage stuff. But as I said, just do your homework and make offers accordingly.
    On eBay they have the "best offer" option, but give set prices on their website.

In a listing on their website, it says: "Mike sold his entire collection to us and we will be offering 70 of the finest Jazz guitars made over the next several months."

So many more to come....

User Info Menu

According to jim777,he called the store and there are no more coming which is strange seeing what they said in their listing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz View Post
    According to jim777,he called the store and there are no more coming which is strange seeing what they said in their listing.
    That is exactly what the very nice young lady at Butler Music told me, and the very next day I spoke to the owner and got a very different story. I would say, call Butler and say "I called Midwest and the owner told me to call and ask for Jeff", or call Midwest and say "Jeff said to talk to the owner" Remember - Mike would LOVE his boys, his friends, his compadres in Jazz here to have his guitars rather than they go to flippers on eBay. And the brothers here seem very cool and nice guys to me. Let them know on the phone you've known Mike for x of years, and what a kind and wonderful guy he is. They really are nice guys, they aren't piranhas by any stretch of the imagination. And let's get a thread going here, if possible, so we can let Mike know what guitars of his collection we have kept in house. I think, given his condition, it would make him happy to know his long time friends and buddies here will be taking care of his guitars going forward, and the guitars he loved and cherished will be loved and cherished by his friends Also remember though, that these folks haven't really given each guitar a good looking over, that not all of Mike's guitars were pristine examples of the model, so as Marty Grass said in another thread, look up Mike's posts here about a given guitar to see what Mike said about it before you call. I did, and am very happy with my purchase.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'm sure everyone's noticed the top crack on the 18" Special - obviously, someone shipped it with the pickguard in place and the volume pot (now absent) got jammed into the top of the guitar - not serious damage, though, and inconsequential if properly repaired.

User Info Menu

I can say that my Campellone Special is the finest guitar that I have ever owned! Anyone on the fence for a good deal on one, don't hesitate when the gift horse appears. I own 3 of Mark's guitars, and they're all fantastic. But the Special, well, it's name says it all!

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure everyone's noticed the top crack on the 18" Special - obviously, someone shipped it with the pickguard in place and the volume pot (now absent) got jammed into the top of the guitar - not serious damage, though, and inconsequential if properly repaired.
    Seems not a crack in the spruce top but just finished damage, right? Also, I just got back from a road trip to the shop. I played the 17 blond special a forum member bought just today sort check it out for him. Stellar amazing guitar with a warm and fine resonance all over the neck........a masterpiece really! The neck is a bit chunky D profile but no problem for me to play I have big hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    I can say that my Campellone Special is the finest guitar that I have ever owned! Anyone on the fence for a good deal on one, don't hesitate when the gift horse appears. I own 3 of Mark's guitars, and they're all fantastic. But the Special, well, it's name says it all!
    Can I get an AMEM ! I know good preaching when I hear it.

User Info Menu

Amen, Brother Vinny!
    And thank you for that! I know you're one of the true believers!
    When I pick up that guitar I feel pretty blessed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    That's the blonde 18" Special The red 18" Special is/was absolutely pristine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Seems not a crack in the spruce top but just finished damage, right? Also, I just got back from a road trip to the shop. I played the 17 blond special a forum member bought just today sort check it out for him. Stellar amazing guitar with a warm and fine resonance all over the neck........a masterpiece really! The neck is a bit chunky D profile but no problem for me to play I have big hands.
    Apparent in the photo that at least the finish is fractured - whether or not the wood is cracked, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

User Info Menu

That's the blonde 18" Special The red 18" Special is/was absolutely pristine
    Right, it's the blonde that was damaged.