The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone View Post
    Amen, Brother Vinny!
    And thank you for that! I know you're one of the true believers!
    When I pick up that guitar I feel pretty blessed!
    Time for a relevant Charlie Parker quote:

Reporter: "Mr. Parker, are you a religious man?"

Bird: "Yes sir, I am a devout musician!"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    Right, it's the blonde that was damaged.
    Total bummer.

I bought the 17” campy. Im driving out to pick it up next week. I don’t know Mike but I have followed his messages for years and I am humbled to be the care taker of his wonderful Campy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone View Post
    Right, it's the blonde that was damaged.
    The red one fits right in with my other two girls There's a theme here with these three, I just can't put my finger on it

(And Mark, your guitars are spectacular, thanks again!)

User Info Menu

Sweet couch !

User Info Menu

I come here for the guitars, but stay for the couches!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger View Post
    Here is a link to the store that bought Big Mike's collection:

https://www.butlermusic.com/

Sadly he did not give his fellow forum members a shot at these guitars.
    I agree that it's a shame that he didn't list them here. But I did talk to him about it.

He wasn't in a position to pack and ship them. He didn't feel up to returning all the emails and dealing with the "tire kickers". He had well over 30 instruments, maybe 60. IDK. Many would require a long write up to fully describe and photos. And he has a ton of amps.

Big Mike was sick and recovering. He did not have the energy or means to pull this off. His friends from out of town would have helped, as we did with RhoadsScholar and Patrick. But practically that was not an option for Mike. He wasn't staying in his home with all the instruments and other gear.

He discussed this with his family and decided on this route. After they made that decision, I don't think Mike sold anything personally. He did retain some nice guitars, Unitys I believe, probably for sentimental reasons.

I found that the brothers handling the sale at the two guitar stores are very decent. A large number of instruments and amps are listed yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    Some of the posted prices for Big's vintage guitars are shall we say a little optomistic.....to be kind, especially considering some of them have major damage. I wonder how they arrived at them. the descriptions are wonky as well, many mistakes, it seems like these guys aren't very familiar w/ vintage guitars.
    If I understand correctly he sold them outright to Butler, so he won't benefit from said inflated asking prices.
    ah well, do your homework before purchasing....
    He did sell them to Butler. There is a second store in Missouri. Both are run by two brothers.

They are disappointed that some instruments have damage, and I have the impression from talking to the brothers that they were not aware of the damage. Most probably in excellent or better condition though. I found them to be very honest about any imperfections.

They will post guitars for sale. If there are no purchases, they will lower the price in a couple of weeks. They want to move the inventory.

They are asking a lot for the old L-5s, but I don't think they want to keep them long.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    On eBay they have the "best offer" option, but give set prices on their website.

In a listing on their website, it says: "Mike sold his entire collection to us and we will be offering 70 of the finest Jazz guitars made over the next several months."

So many more to come....
    They certainly haven't listed much of what they got from Mike. I called and got my old Sweet 16 back by asking about it and yesterday bought something not listed. The price is considerably lower if you get something not listed on Reverb. Also, you can make them an offer, and if it is too low, they will call you in the future if the guitar doesn't move.