The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 76

User Info Menu

I'm working through Bugs Bowers Rhythms Complete. Since I'm taking video, I thought I would share them here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

By the third one I noticed, it's very easy keeping time with a metronome and very difficult when I'm tapping my foot. I have a tendency to skip over the rests.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    By the third one I noticed, it's very easy keeping time with a metronome and very difficult when I'm tapping my foot. I have a tendency to skip over the rests.

Any reason you are playing these with straight eighths instead of swing eighths?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    Any reason you are playing these with straight eighths instead of swing eighths?
    Is that why it sounds like classical music?

User Info Menu

Is that why it sounds like classical music?
    No, I don't think Rhythm's Complete is classical music. I was told by another poster here that these are swing era rhythms.

User Info Menu

If a guy named Bugs Bowers isn't playing swing music there's something wrong with this world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    No, I don't think Rhythm's Complete is classical music. I was told by another poster here that these are swing era rhythms.
    Yeah, but did you listen to the clips? They aren't very swinging, they sound more like classical to me. I thought it might have been because it's rhythm 1, but by you asking about straight vs swing eights, I'm thinking that might be the issue.

User Info Menu

I bet these would be fun for writing in articulations. Like where to put an accent, for example.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but did you listen to the clips? They aren't very swinging, they sound more like classical to me. I thought it might have been because it's rhythm 1, but by you asking about straight vs swing eights, I'm thinking that might be the issue.
    Oh, ok. I thought you were asking about the source material. They sounded good to me, but yeah, I think playing them with a more swing eighth note would jazz them up a bit.

I've been meaning to work through that book, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I bet these would be fun for writing in articulations. Like where to put an accent, for example.
    There's arrows on above the staff, that probably means something.... I dunno. I'm figuring all this out as I go along.

User Info Menu

The arrows show how your foot is tapping. You tap quarter notes and the arrows show downs and ups of your foot.

It's also very useful to transpose them all up an octave.

You'll learn the rest of the neck and the octave transposition is a basic skill.

Sid Margolis had me do that with this very book about 60 years ago.

I never thought about straight vs swing 8ths. Both are good to have available.

User Info Menu

Here's a video of a guy playing them with a swing feel.

A clip of Bugs Bower talking about his books can be found at the top of the page if you follow this link. It's a good story.

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/bugs-bower

A short video on the Schilinger System that Bugs mentions. (I never worked with this system and can't vouch for the video's accuracy.)

User Info Menu

Double check your syncopation in bar 2. Exaggerate it so you can hear the swing.

User Info Menu

There's arrows on above the staff, that probably means something.... I dunno. I'm figuring all this out as I go along.
    Doesnt look like it. And RP would know, so I’ll defer to him.

Accents a lot of the time aren’t written into jazz lines but are implied. Light accent on up-beats. Bigger accent on syncopated up-beats, the top note, or notes outside the contour of line.

Those aren’t hard and fast but they’re a good start

User Info Menu

Doesnt look like it. And RP would know, so I’ll defer to him.

Accents a lot of the time aren’t written into jazz lines but are implied. Light accent on up-beats. Bigger accent on syncopated up-beats, the top note, or notes outside the contour of line.
    d and fast but they’re a good start
    Bar 2 is eighth, quarter, eighth.

So, beat one is a toe-down (referring to foot tapping).

Next note is on and-of-one, so it's a toe-up.

Since it's a quarter note it's held through the next toe-down (beat 2), which is shown by the next down arrow.

Next eighth is a toe-up.

The accenting is important but not explicitly included. A real big band horn chart usually has details of expression, but Colin/Bower intentionally keeps all that simple.

Whole notes, halfs, quarters and eighths are all downs and ups if you're tapping in quarters.

Some people are helped by having syllables.

pear is a quarter note
    mango is two eighths.
    watermelon is four 16ths.

"Ok guys, the break is pear pear watermelon mango".

Triplets depend on the accenting. Ka'mala, bana'na, badabing'.

User Info Menu

I transpose them up an octave to get another string set then through the 12 keys by ear.

That’s just too much to record.

Also thanks for the other clip and the advice to exaggerate the rhythms, and the foot thing.

I just got home from a gig so, no video tonight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    A clip of Bugs Bower talking about his books can be found at the top of the page if you follow this link. It's a good story.

Bugs Bower | NAMM.org
    Thank you for sharing this, I was not familiar with the website, lots of interesting interviews on it.

This book sounds like it would be a good companion to Rhythms Complete -- Bop Duets Complete by Bugs Bower

User Info Menu

Mark the video series you posted helped me a lot. Thanks!

He’s also up 1.5 steps? My first note is E and he plays a G. What’s up with that?

#4 - Rhythm No. 1 Developed - YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    Alto sax pitch is up a minor 2nd, therefore the note E sounds as G.
    Alto sax pitch is written up a major 6 from concert. Their E is a concert G. The transposition named because Their C is our Eb.

User Info Menu

Alto sax pitch is written up a major 6 from concert.
    Isn't it a major 6th lower? - i.e., G transposes up to concert pitch Eb.
    Last edited by Mick-7; 08-18-2024 at 12:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Isn't it a major 6th lower? - i.e., G transposes up to concert pitch E.
    Alto sax reads up a major 6th up. Concert G is written as Alto Sax E. That's where the name of the transpositions come from. They're named for whatever pitch sounds when the instrument reads a C.

Tenor reads C and we hear Bb.
    Alto reads C and we hear Eb.
    etc.

User Info Menu

Thank you for sharing this, I was not familiar with the website, lots of interesting interviews on it.

This book sounds like it would be a good companion to Rhythms Complete -- Bop Duets Complete by Bugs Bower

I was listening to some of these. This one was interesting because it sounded kind of Monkish to me.

User Info Menu

Alto sax reads up a major 6th up. Concert G is written as Alto Sax E. That's where the name of the transpositions come from. They're named for whatever pitch sounds when the instrument reads a C.

Tenor reads C and we hear Bb.
    Alto reads C and we hear Eb.
    etc.
    I wrote E, should have been Eb... Online sources say that the alto sounds a minor 3rd lower than concert pitch rather than a major 6th higher - correction: down minor 3(8va) = up Major 6th, so Allen is playing the exercise 1 octave higher than the alto player is.

User Info Menu

I wrote E, should have been Eb... Online sources say that the alto sounds a minor 3rd lower than concert pitch rather than a major 6th higher - correction: down minor 3(8va) = up Major 6th, so Allen is playing the exercise 1 octave higher than the alto player is.
    This is not correct.

It sounds a major 6 lower (reads a major 6 higher).

You're probably reading something about transposing at sight. They should play the note that is down a minor 3rd or up a major 6 from the concert note.

Not trying to be an asshat here but I do work with an elementary school band, so they're too little to do the transposing if I speak in concert pitch. Not good at much, but that bit I've picked up on. I played a lot of C-Jam blues in A with the little saxes this spring.

(on writing for sax)

Big Band Arranging | 3 | Instrumentation — Evan Rogers | Orchestrator | Arranger | Conductor

(and on how saxes transpose)

How to Transpose – a Guide for Saxophones – bettersax.com
    Last edited by pamosmusic; 08-18-2024 at 12:50 AM.