The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 166 of 166

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132 View Post
    I don't know what this means. He never recorded in all 12 keys? He never practiced in 12 Keys, just 10?

The WHOLE POINT is to be able to play in a different key from the 'original' or common key of a song if you're playing with a singer who wants it in a different key.

I don't see the point of practicing something in every key since memorizing how to play something (and what??) in all the keys.

See below:

Charlie Parker Dissertation Volume II Thomas Owens 1974 : Thomas Owens : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Playing in all keys.-parker-keys-png

Edit: More Facts Emerge.

Playing in all keys.-1-number-parker-motives-png
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 08-30-2024 at 10:21 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seems pretty clear to me.

Nobody knows what Charlie Parker played in what key over his lifetime. Stupid.
    I mean … except the dude who apparently wrote a dissertation on it? I may or may not care, but I can safely assume that dude knows.

Anyway. No need to be uncomfortable about it. It’s interesting to note, either way.

User Info Menu

All bullshit. Charlie Parker was a Junkie who just blew.

It's stupid to over-analyze this.

User Info Menu

I generally avoid calling things stupid, but you seem to think it’s a useful word so I’ll just say:

One of the stupidest things you can do is assume that, because you don’t see the value in something, it must have nothing to teach you.

User Info Menu

Are you calling Peter names? Don't be like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Are you calling Peter names? Don't be like that.
    I have been called many things. Most of them accurate.

Stupid has rarely been one of them.

Pedantic? Sure.

Full of myself? Yep.

Obnoxious? Of course.

And I believe he was calling the author of the dissertation stupid. Still, though.
    Last edited by pamosmusic; 08-30-2024 at 10:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Approx:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    I have been called many things. Most of them accurate.

Stupid has rarely been one of them.

Pedantic? Sure.

Full of myself? Yep.

Obnoxious? Of course.

And I believe he was calling the author of the dissertation stupid. Still, though.
    Someone whose book are published by Oxford University Press might probably not be totally stupid ...

https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...cc=de&lang=en&

Amazon.com

User Info Menu

It's also worth mentioning that someone who wrote a dissertation on Parker may have studied his lines more analytically than Parker himself ever did.

User Info Menu

I suspect that he was a savant, not “a junkie who just blew”. He may not have been able to explain what he played or why, but he definitely had the concepts in his head. There are math savants who solve highly complex problems in seconds by visualizing or otherwise sensing the solutions. They may see numbers as shapes, colors or other physical constructs in their minds. There are savants whose special skill is geography - they can tell you where any point on the planet is, how far it is from somewhere else, how to get there from anywhere, etc.

Many savants have serious mental health issues and are written off as crazy (or as “junkies who just blew”). Then again, many “junkies who just blew” have been allowed to struggle and given no help. Joe Pass was a resident of Synanon when he was discovered - he was yet another junkie who blew. He played in their band and was the star of their album Sounds of Synanon. He was a bit of a mess until he was discovered and given the support he needed.

Art Pepper had a terrible drug problem and finally got straight thanks to his wife. Miles, who was the son of a wealthy oral surgeon, was a junkie, a thief, and a pretty horrible human. Cicely Tyson was able to rein him in, but (like Art and Laurie Pepper), it was closer to the end of his life than the beginning.

Bird had to develop the manual dexterity to play what he heard in his head before he could become Charlie Parker. The fact that he dedicated so much time and effort to becoming a masterful technician on his instrument, and did so despite addiction from age 15, suggests to me that he wasn’t just an empty headed junkie. His parents were apparently responsible people. His mother even saved the money to buy him a new horn before he became addicted IIRC. He chose to drop out of school before high school graduation to pursue a career in music, probably because he saw that as his best (and maybe his only) option for success in life.

He was known to practice daily for 12 hours or more. He even spent hours sustaining single notes while getting louder and quieter, to learn how to keep the pitch perfect at any volume. Sadly, I think he had a lot of potential that was left by the side of the road. It’s too simple and dismissive to call him a junkie who just blew. He saw and heard music as few others have done and he changed jazz as few others have done. He was a seriously flawed human, but no more so than Miles or Monk.

User Info Menu

It is a brilliant analysis:

:Playing in all keys.-screenshot-2024-08-31-11-02-38 pm-png

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminjoe View Post
    Is this thread about playing in all keys AND in all positions?

User Info Menu

I could use a hook. Never gonna get a gf.

User Info Menu

Hey, we need to catch up with the times; they've discovered eighteen more keys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    Hey, we need to catch up with the times; they've discovered eighteen more keys!