The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

targeting 3rds in dom7ths for creating solos. i was told this will create a jazzier sound

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've found it's better than targeting the root.

User Info Menu

Thirds and sevenths will give you a more harmonically specific sound. I suppose we hear that as jazzy.

Play the melody to All the Things
    or Fly Me To the Moon
    etc etc

User Info Menu

It's OK for beginners, but targeting the 9th is important too (check out Wes).

User Info Menu

Something something Bach

Mumble mumble rhythm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

(Targeting the third chromatically is quite jazz tho.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here is a great lesson and useful line specially addressing this:

User Info Menu

alltunes this is where i wanted to go

User Info Menu

Yes is great for starting... I mean, you start with roots... then 3rds and 7th, then extensions.

Listen to guys like Johnny Griffin (sax) maybe with Wes on Live. He works with extensions really coo...

User Info Menu

Look up guide tone theory, it is very straightforward. Take a look at C chords, for example: Cmaj, Cmaj7, C6, Cmin7, Cmin9, etc. all share the same root and 5th. They are non-specific regarding the quality of the chord. The 3rd and 7th (or 6th or 9th, if present) identify the chord much more specifically. Including one of those notes on the first and third beats of each bar in your line will have the effect of "attaching" your line to the underlying harmony. It will make it sound like you're playing through the chord changes rather than in the vicinity of. I don't know if that will make what you play "jazzy" but it will make it more coherent and logical for the listener.

I would suggest that you go through the chords of any particular song and identify where the guide tones are for each bar and play through them, seeing how they connect. What you will notice is that, through a typical set of changes going through the cycle of fourths, the 3rd and 7th will drop either a half step or whole step from one chord to the next, and that the 3rd and 7th of one chord will become the 7th and 3rd of the next chord, which in turn become the 3rd and 7th of the chord after that. It's like magic.

This might help:

Learn How to Use Guide-Tones to Navigate Chord Changes